widened Rim guys

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
So on friday on the way to carlisle i had a blowout on my drivers side front and a flat on my passenger side. Im pretty sure i hit something because there is a few scratches in my front bumper now which sucks. So i was thinking of widening the back rims now as im riding on my ugly ass chrome 20's. How wide to you guys suggest doing i know ss this and ride the have theres widened i saw ride the talking about it and he said he would have went wider. I can't decide if i want to do it 1. because they are powder coated and i would need them re done and also what tire options do i have with the widen rim. :shrug:

Also svtbeatdown if you see this i saw you twice at carlisle but didn't get to talk to you. one time you rode by out tent with the GT and DSG cobra parked in it. and the other time during the burnout contest.

Cocoloco

BEEP BEEP...ROAD RAGE!!!
Established Member
Once you widen your limited. Eric went 10.5 I believe and SS went 11.5

You can only fit the Nitto DR 305-45-18.
SS is actually pushing it with his size.

cthunder

Established Member
10.5-12 would be the max I'd go. If you look on a lift, it's tight even with 295's back there. I have maybe an 1" with a 6" lowered rear.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I can't tell from your avatar pic, but are your OEM wheels the 99-00 or 01-02 style. If they're the 01-02s I have my old set F/S in the classifieds. From what I understand four wheels are needed to widen two... two of them are sacrificed to make the extra width needed to widen. My wheels are in great shape and are perfect to be used for widening.

SS THiS

03 Lightning
Established Member
I went 2 in. But I think 1 1/2 would be perfect! here is a pic of what it would look like with 305/45 tires
004-2.gif
You can get a wider tire but its no going to be as tall! And weldcraftwheels did mine too! They do great work. They add material to your wheels you DON"T need 4 wheels to make 2!

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
Ill get some pics tomorrow and put them in here. I had mine powdercoated after and it cost me about 600 but i had the lips polished also. Look really good and dont roll the side wall over as much as SS This
They could have ground down the welds a bit i think tho on the outside of the rim to make it look a bit better but all in all i am happy

Last edited:

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
If you are not putting a wider tire on the rim, then what's the advantage of widening the rim? Nittos and the new M/T (305/45/18), both fit the stock rims. Does all the tread not make contact with the road on the stock rim?

Last edited:

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
If you are not putting a wider tire on the rim, then what's the advantage of widening the rim? Nittos and the new M/T (305/45/18), both fit the stock rims. Does all the tread not make contact with the road on the stock rim?
With the 305 on my stock rim i noticed about 3/4 of an inch on either side of the tire that was never touched to the ground. Still had full tread depth at those points. 1 1/2 wider and the whole tread is on the ground

svtdvm

NEWB
Established Member
Will getting that extra 1/2" - 3/4" of rubber on the ground, by widening the rim, improve traction any or is this just an appearance mod only?

Last edited:

SVTBeatdown13

Travis Barker Jr.
Established Member
So on friday on the way to carlisle i had a blowout on my drivers side front and a flat on my passenger side. Im pretty sure i hit something because there is a few scratches in my front bumper now which sucks. So i was thinking of widening the back rims now as im riding on my ugly ass chrome 20's. How wide to you guys suggest doing i know ss this and ride the have theres widened i saw ride the talking about it and he said he would have went wider. I can't decide if i want to do it 1. because they are powder coated and i would need them re done and also what tire options do i have with the widen rim. :shrug:

Also svtbeatdown if you see this i saw you twice at carlisle but didn't get to talk to you. one time you rode by out tent with the GT and DSG cobra parked in it. and the other time during the burnout contest.

You shoulda yelled at me lol. I woulda talked. I only got to talk to one other L owner from the forum and that was Derek@Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread