Widest Front Tire ????

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
I did a search; but did not find an answer...

I am contemplating going with 18x9 AFS wheels at all four corners. What is the widest tire size I can use on the front? I found someone using 275/35/18. Can I go wider?

Thanks.

lifter213

Established Member
You might be able to go wider in front but IMO the 275/35/18 is perfect for me with the Kumho MX tires. I wouldnt change a thing with mine.

03DOHC

Established Member
Search for Bingo13's posts, he's been running 18's for a while now in a few combos too.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Lifter213 said it right. 275 Kuhmo's are perfect.

But what Pooty Tang said is right....Bingo has extensive research on a wide variety of tires.

Bingo13

Established Member
I would run 275/35/18s on the AFS wheel you listed. A 285/35/18 will fit fine but the treadwidth difference between the tire sizes will not make a real difference due to the wheel width. You might put an additional 1/10th of tread on the ground.

The other factor to consider is the height difference in the tires, on average the 285 will be 3~4 tenths taller (26.1 vs 25.7) and will change the front end dynamics slightly.

The section and tread width differences between the 275/40/17 and 275/35/18 tires are minimal when comparing the same tire family specifications. You will find section and tread width differences when comparing tires between manufacturers.

Your driving style and budget should dictate your choice of tire. Answer that question and we can offer several opinions.

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by Bingo13
Your driving style and budget should dictate your choice of tire. Answer that question and we can offer several opinions.

I am comparing Nittos and Toyos. As for budget, I would like to keep the per tire costs to $200 to $250. I want something that has a treadwear rating of, at least, 280; this will make it feasible for daily driving. Yet, I want something that will hook when I need to.

Maybe this helps.

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
I have the AFS 18" Wheels, I have Pirelli PZERO ROSSO in the front 285/30/18 N2 which is the softer compound that is found on the Porsches. I like the Tire very quiet, in the rear I have the BFG Drag Radial 315/30/18.

By the way i'm selling my Chrome Wheels if you are interested...they are BRAND NEW..not a single scratch, or mark. They have less than 100 miles on them. $800

Snake Eyes

Established Member
I have the Toyo Proxie T1's 275s up front and 295s out back. The 275s up front look just right trust me. Though I am curious as to why you are not getting the 18x10.5 in the back? They look just plain EVIL! They are the only way to go IMO. Also check out www.treadepot.com as an alternate source for the Toyos.

Good luck,

Kyle

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
Originally posted by Snake Eyes
...Though I am curious as to why you are not getting the 18x10.5 in the back? They look just plain EVIL! They are the only way to go IMO...

I agree; they look great. In fact, it is the width that causes me to ask my question. I want the widest tire possible; however, I also want to be able to rotate them every 6000 miles. I guess I am, at times, too practical for my own good.:shrug:

Bingo13

Established Member
§ilver§nake,

Will you be driving your car in the rain?

If so then I would go with the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 as it meets your requirements for a 280 rated tire, great wet performance, and very good dry performance. The tires are also very quiet and have an excellent ride over rough roads. The Toyos are a very good tire but I think the Goodyears are better in this series. I have not tried the T1s on this car but had them on my wife's M5 before switching to the Goodyears.

The GS-D3s will hook to a certain degree but the words 18" street tire and 500lbs rwtq do not really go together. ;-)

I would highly suggest the Kumho MX series for the best bang per buck in a performance tire right now. You will give up some wet performance and road noise isolation compared to the Goodyears but they offer better dry traction and handling in my experience. So much so that I would rather have them than the Pilot Sports or SO3s now considering the cost.

If you are sticking to a street tire but will only see wet weather when you are caught in it then I would go with the BFG KD. The tire is close to a Nitto DR in dry traction, offers superb handling, and is noisy but they will stick.

After that we can get into "R" type tires and DRs if you are interested. If you had the 18X9.5" wheels then a 285 series tire would make a difference but at 18x9 your best bet is the 275/35/18s. I would go with the 18x10.5" wheel on the rear of this car if you could swing it.

:-D

SVTBlackBolt

SVT POISONED
Established Member
I like the Goodyear Supercars...Awesome tire.
I also like the Pirelli's I got, pretty expensive but very pleased so far. As far as DR...I have the BFG's but my handling has suffered obviously,and feels kind of mushy on the highway, and as I want my car to be great all around I will either go for the PZERO in the rear or the Goodyear Supercars.

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTBlackBolt
I like the Goodyear Supercars...Awesome tire.

Wait until you try the GS-D3.... first Goodyear tire in years that I have used that has excellent all around performance and did not require a bank loan to buy. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread