Wife and I went to Skyline Drive today, almost went to the ER

blackfang

Established Member
Wife and I went to Skyline Drive today. Weather was great, maybe a high of 71. She loves going up there and taking pics of the overlooks, wondering on the trails and what is beyond the overlook. Well as she is walking, she doesn't realize she is about 5 feet from a nice sized Rattle Snake. It wasn't rattling or anything and I wonder if it was lethargic due to the chilly weather. I happened to catch it before she got too close.

Album-http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/skyline-drive-2014/

Some pics of the trip
DSCN3510-vi.jpg

DSCN3517-vi.jpg

This is what I saw 5 feet away(zoomed in as no way I am getting closer to that ****er), looks like a female based on the tail.
DSCN3521-vi.jpg

DSCN3522-vi.jpg

I'll stick with the Boas and Pythons..lol
My ugly mug
DSCN3555-vi.jpg

She was more careful in checking her surroundings after that:lol:
DSCN3560-vi.jpg

Here is the bear that was along the side of the road.
DSCN3565-vi.jpg

DSCN3566-vi.jpg

Some dumbass deer that took its sweet time crossing the road
DSCN3570-vi.jpg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice photos, and thank God your wife didn't get any closer to the rattler. Glad you had a nice time on the Drive.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
That will get your blood pumping every time! We have quite a few water moccasins, copperheads and rattlers around here...I run along the bayou and have almost stepped on a water moccasin on several occasions...I try to avoid tall grass, stick to well beaten trails etc...

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
When I saw your thread title I said to myself...he must have hit a dear or a bear...didnt expect the rattler. But those snakes are are actually growing in numbers, at least in our area. The deer....hell those damn things are going anywhere!...the black bears even those are getting a little more bold even in winchester va they are being seen in pretty populated areas more often. Few years ago we found a couple baby rattlers in our drive way and our neighbor across the street found a 2-3ft adult in his back yard, which he shot.

blackfang

Established Member
Nice; coincidentally I saw your post of this earlier this evening on Arfcom. :-D
Ha :D
That will get your blood pumping every time! We have quite a few water moccasins, copperheads and rattlers around here...I run along the bayou and have almost stepped on a water moccasin on several occasions...I try to avoid tall grass, stick to well beaten trails etc...
She was very well aware of her surroundings for the rest of the day..lol.
When I saw your thread title I said to myself...he must have hit a dear or a bear...didnt expect the rattler. But those snakes are are actually growing in numbers, at least in our area. The deer....hell those damn things are going anywhere!...the black bears even those are getting a little more bold even in winchester va they are being seen in pretty populated areas more often. Few years ago we found a couple baby rattlers in our drive way and our neighbor across the street found a 2-3ft adult in his back yard, which he shot.
Yeah the deer and bear aren't worried about anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread