Wife wants a Range Rover, opinions wanted...

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Thanks for looking folks, her Explorer Sport has the infamous gear oil on the exhaust smell, and it's making her drive my Grand Cherokee (making ME deal with the burning gear oil smell) so I'd like to hear what you think about the Range Rover.

I've heard they're not so reliable, that being offset by their expense.

A little education (SVTP style) would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mike

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The owner of the shop I work at had one. He said he didn't really like it. He didn't say why, but he bought a 2016 Ram Laramie to replace it.
Good luck!

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
My BIL has one he paid the sun, moon and the stars for, new. First snowstorm we had the year he got it when we needed it I discovered the only people who could get in the backseat were small dogs and children.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My boss when I worked construction bought the first model of the top dog Range Rover supercharged. Priced out over $110k I think it was but he lemon'd it a few months later. Electrical issues up the ass. They gave him the lower Sport supercharged and he had better luck with that. That was over a decade ago though. A lot has changed since then but I dont know if it was for the better or not.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Personally its one of my favorite SUV's on the road.

granted I haven't heard them to be the most reliable vehicles but most of those are probably early generation ones.

Id say in 2018 pretty much everything is reliable essentially. imo it says u got some loot and driving one is like driving a Mercedes as far as image goes. cause they aint cheap. their quite the beast in the snow or off road but don't know too many people who take a $110k vehicle "Off-Roading".

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My boss when I worked construction bought the first model of the top dog Range Rover supercharged. Priced out over $110k I think it was but he lemon'd it a few months later. Electrical issues up the ass. They gave him the lower Sport supercharged and he had better luck with that. That was over a decade ago though. A lot has changed since then but I dont know if it was for the better or not.

My boss bought a supercharged Range Rover for his wife...got it new and had nothing but heartache.

Recon

Established Member
From someone that works on them I can say this, “RUN!”
Your wife’s desire to have one will quickly fade when it breaks and they break often. The only reason they’re still in business is they’re classified as a rich people suv. At one time they were the most returned vehicle on the planet. Either get a Japanese or American vehicle stay way from Europe.

Pick your poison.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I’m in the market to replace my lease vehicle(BMW 528i) in the next 6 months. I want an SUV/ Crossover or truck. I eliminated the Range Rover due to expense and reliability issues. The Sport does look cool, but thats it. I thinkI have my list narrowed down to the BMW X3 M40i, BMW X5 (6 or 8 cyl), Ford Raptor, Jaguar F Pace or Grand Cherokee SRT.
My initial thoughts-

Test drove the X3- great sound, fast, great handling.

X5- a bigger X3, not as nimble as the X3 unless you get the M package, very good towing limit.

Raptor- Not test driven, non sold at or below MSRP, probably fun ride. It is an SVT vehicle I want for a daily driver....worried I would be disappointed as a daily driver. Price were right, may be buy it.
Jaguar F Pace nit test driven. Love seeing these on the road, really nice looking. Concerned about cargo space and the infamous Jaguar unreliability.
Jeep SRT not test driven. Great looking SUV, best in- class tow limit, powerful. Concerned about winter drive ability, dealer service, reliability.
I would consider Explorer, but parents have a 2012 and the design looks aged to me.
I am liking the new Expedition, need to research it more.

Obviously, I’m still wide open on my vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Crazy stories on the web about shop queens and repair costs, stay far away.

MG0h3

Established Member
NO! When I was a tech they were horrible to work on and expensive. All kinds of stupid crap like knobs, switches, door handles breaking.

The owner of a fleet we had a contract on bought a brand new supercharged one and he brought it to us on day 2. Air suspension didn't work. He was so rich it didn't matter but still; nothing but problems.

Machdup1

Established Member
Give her your car (because you are the best husband ever) and get a Raptor.

Win/win without the limey junk.

You will need to practice your concerned husband speech until you get it perfect. Remember to practice answers to multiple versions of the questions and prepare deflections for her objections.

After you close the deal, contact @13COBRA and he will find you a sweetheart of a deal on a Raptor.

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
How about I just hit you in the nuts with a sledgehammer? It would be less painful than owning a Range Rover.
Never owned one personally but my moms boss had one....for about 6 months...

Users who are viewing this thread