Wife's new to us DD...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice looking car. Amazing how much nicer the Acura models are (exterior and interior design) compared to the Nissan models.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
Very nice, Acura's are great cars. I bought the wife (girlfriend at the time not that matters) a brand new 2011 RDX right before I deployed in July of 2010, and she loved it. Traded it in on a 2012 Explorer, stupid. Have fun with it.

Last edited:

stockishGT

Established Member
Thanks guys. We test drove a few Infiniti FX35's but once she got behind the wheel of the Acura she had to have it. We got a great deal on it and for the first time in my experience we came across an outstanding salesman that wasn't trying to sell us something right away. He let us take our time until we found something we were comfortable with purchasing. Definitely an upgrade from the Sentra. We were actually driving the Sentra to Kansas from Texas when the transmission went out in it. Only had 80k miles on it. It was under extended warranty so the transmission was replaced at no cost. Luckily I was following my wife in my Bullitt at the time so we weren't left stranded. As soon as the transmission was replaced we traded it in.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Definitely an upgrade from the Sentra. We were actually driving the Sentra to Kansas from Texas when the transmission went out in it. Only had 80k miles on it. It was under extended warranty so the transmission was replaced at no cost. Luckily I was following my wife in my Bullitt at the time so we weren't left stranded. As soon as the transmission was replaced we traded it in.

The TL's are nice outside, but holy moly they've got a load of problems that are manufacturing errors. These are problems I've had just with mine:

Complete tranny failure at 110,xxx miles
Dashboard cracking horribly
Navigation failure
3rd/4th Gear Pressure switch failure
APP sensor failure
O-ring failure
All engine mounts were completely busted at 103,xxx
...and the list goes on.

Sure some of these can happen to any vehicle, but the number of transmission failures is crazy. Dash cracking due to incorrect airbag design. Navigation failure due to the disk becoming scratched (...and then they want $100+ for a new disk EACH YEAR). Many of these Acura has even admitted they messed up and will pay for some of the repair, but there are ridiculous terms and they'll only pay a VERY small amount

I hope you have better luck than I have. I doubt you're aware of what maintenance the previous owner did, but I HIGHLY suggest changing your 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches (unless you've got really low mileage) and changing the ATF. There has been a ton of talk on this at Acurazine.com. A lot of owners swear by Redline D4 or even the ATF with no FM (friction modifiers). Some believe the ATF that honda uses had way too much FM in it and it caused tranny problems. Anyways, the other stuff and a lot of others on the list are just dumb luck if they don't pop up. Good luck!! Don't mean to scare you, but just be aware of how the car is shifting. If it starts to act funky, replace the switches and put in new ATF. I've got my eye on the new '13 Accord EX-L's with the v6 now. Hopefully i'll be able to sell the TL for a decent price seeing how it's got a new tranny and has the timing belt service done....along with all the other new parts I had to replace lol.

Last edited:

stockishGT

Established Member
The TL's are nice outside, but holy moly they've got a load of problems that are manufacturing errors. These are problems I've had just with mine:

Complete tranny failure at 110,xxx miles
Dashboard cracking horribly
Navigation failure
3rd/4th Gear Pressure switch failure
APP sensor failure
O-ring failure
All engine mounts were completely busted at 103,xxx
...and the list goes on.

Sure some of these can happen to any vehicle, but the number of transmission failures is crazy. Dash cracking due to incorrect airbag design. Navigation failure due to the disk becoming scratched (...and then they want $100+ for a new disk EACH YEAR). Many of these Acura has even admitted they messed up and will pay for some of the repair, but there are ridiculous terms and they'll only pay a VERY small amount

I hope you have better luck than I have. I doubt you're aware of what maintenance the previous owner did, but I HIGHLY suggest changing your 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches (unless you've got really low mileage) and changing the ATF. There has been a ton of talk on this at Acurazine.com. A lot of owners swear by Redline D4 or even the ATF with no FM (friction modifiers). Some believe the ATF that honda uses had way too much FM in it and it caused tranny problems. Anyways, the other stuff and a lot of others on the list are just dumb luck if they don't pop up. Good luck!! Don't mean to scare you, but just be aware of how the car is shifting. If it starts to act funky, replace the switches and put in new ATF. I've got my eye on the new '13 Accord EX-L's with the v6 now. Hopefully i'll be able to sell the TL for a decent price seeing how it's got a new tranny and has the timing belt service done....along with all the other new parts I had to replace lol.

Wow. Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. I'm glad we purchased an extended warranty for it at least. Hopefully we have better luck with ours. My brother-in-law has a TL with 200k plus miles and the only problem he has had is the door lock actuators.

Users who are viewing this thread