Will cars get any faster??

chrisle7220

Established Member
A question came up between me and a friend today. We were just wondering if they will make cars, like the cobra, super fast in the future. You are probably thinking, of course they will make cars faster and that i may be dumb. But if they were to make a cobra in the next 15 years later, wont it have like 600-650hp. And what about the mustang GT's, they will have 400-500hp. So when i have a son, will he have a 500hp Mustang GT? I think right now is the peak point. If anything, the next generation will have a slight increase in hp, but i think they will try to make their engines more advanced and efficient. What do ya'll think?

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
Interesting thoughts, but for now put the pulley and chip on your car and enjoy the power today you might be gone tommarow...............

Enjoy life day to day but always be safe.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I think they will play with the power we have now, and make it go faster with the same engines, and get more mileage while still maintaining 500+hp.

DirtyOlTruck

Established Member
wellll.. if kerry is elected for persident we will all drive ECO cars. gas prices will go up up even more and the smog will be harder to pass... on that note no we wont have faster cars in the future. but if Dubya is re-elected we will all drive our badass cobras and lightnings. sorry if i didnt answer your question, but i found a perfect opportunity to support my president G.W.Bush

Gino

So Long!
according to the Magic 8-Ball: Signs point to yes

:p

seriously though I believe they will. the automakers are all competing with one another for supremacy. top dog wins, one big dick measuring contest. look at Mercedes for christs sake with ther 65 series AMG cars-- BiTurbo V12's that make 738 lb/feet of torque-- which is 138 lb/feet MORE than the Duramax/Cummins diesel engines (damnit Ford, rate the PSD to 600 lb/feet lol). I've read it a few times, a couple magazines call todays day and age the Rebirth of the Muscle Car Era. cars today are faster, more durable, more efficient-- than ever before. I highly doubt any force (including President of the US, the US is only one country that has 3 of the many companies that build these things) has the power to stand against the auto manufacturer's and oil companies to stop this, thats a whole lot of money to play with.

:D

tvguy

Originally posted by DirtyOlTruck
wellll.. if kerry is elected for persident we will all drive ECO cars. gas prices will go up up even more and the smog will be harder to pass... on that note no we wont have faster cars in the future. but if Dubya is re-elected we will all drive our badass cobras and lightnings. sorry if i didnt answer your question, but i found a perfect opportunity to support my president G.W.Bush

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

drexebo

On a quest 4 an 03 cobra!
Established Member
cars are starting a trend toward lower emissions and alternative fuel. I wonder if we'll have many hydrogen-powered street racers?

chrisle7220

Established Member
Originally posted by Gino

seriously though I believe they will. the automakers are all competing with one another for supremacy. top dog wins, one big dick measuring contest. look at Mercedes for christs sake with ther 65 series AMG cars-- BiTurbo V12's that make 738 lb/feet of torque-- which is 138 lb/feet MORE than the Duramax/Cummins diesel engines (damnit Ford, rate the PSD to 600 lb/feet lol). I've read it a few times, a couple magazines call todays day and age the Rebirth of the Muscle Car Era. cars today are faster, more durable, more efficient-- than ever before. I highly doubt any force (including President of the US, the US is only one country that has 3 of the many companies that build these things) has the power to stand against the auto manufacturer's and oil companies to stop this, thats a whole lot of money to play with.

Well your talking about high dollar cars. Im sure high dollar cars will always have that type of hp. But what about the cars that people can afford. Take for example, an RSX-S. Now they have 200hp, in the next century or 2, it could easily be 400hp. Now would it be safe for our next generation? Kids driving around in 12 sec cars stock.

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
I think they will play with the power we have now, and make it go faster with the same engines, and get more mileage while still maintaining 500+hp.

That's what I was thinking. I hope in the future they will have a 500hp engine that gets 24mpg in the city and 30hwy. Now that would be awesome.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Just thank your lucky stars that loser :loser: al gore didn't get elected. He wanted to outlaw the manufacture of the internal combustion engine! :burn:

kerry isn't too far behind him!:cuss:

Nix112

Eastbound and Down
Established Member
The way insurance rates have gone over the last ten years, you don't have to worry about your son driving a 500HP mustang unless you hit the lottery.

Everytime I see these documentaries hit TV screens about street racing with civics and neons weaving through rush hour traffic at 100MPH I thank them for ruining my ability to drive much nicer cars that I can otherwise afford.

I think horsepower will start to peak in the next 3 years. As stated, car companies will start putting out 500HP and 34MPG, etc. I also think that electric cars and other forms will take off and the race to own that market will be full force.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
The real question behind your question is when will the insurance companies start lobbying the politicians to put an end to the increased HP on the street? I think we are very near that point now so perhaps we are now entering into the last manufacture's model year (i.e. 5-6 year period) where HP will be as high as its going to get before somekind of regulation begins to rear its unwanted head.

CyberDaveA

Established Member
Well... I think the cars will have about the same power... but with technology they will become a lot lighter and safer.

500hp... in a 800lb car... :rolling:

Metalbassist03

Corvette Junkie
Established Member
Originally posted by CyberDaveA
Well... I think the cars will have about the same power... but with technology they will become a lot lighter and safer.

500hp... in a 800lb car... :rolling:

Doesn't mean nothing if the car looks like shit. All these "futuristic" cars look god awful and most won't attract the public eye. The Prius has because it looks 1/2 way decent unlike the Honda Concept.

HP will probably reach it peak in the next 5 to 10 years.. Lets enjoy what is out on the market now right!

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
that magic 8ball is freakt, I asked if I was going to sleep today, and it said I could rely on it :lol1:
Originally posted by Gino

Users who are viewing this thread