will changing tranny fluid to brand other than fords cause warranty issues

yelo03infl

Established Member
just wondering if putting the mobil one in tranny could potentially void warranty on transmission.

NWUCIT

Established Member
You will be OK.....Mobile 1 is Dexron III compatible....changed mine over to Mobile 1 yesterday (not a lot of fun....cramped quarters on the fill).

4D THNDR

Established Member
No automotive manufacturer can demand that you use their line of lubricants for warranty purposes unless they supply them to you free of charge. The only requirement is that your choice meets their specs.

CobraEd

Established Member
Is there a drain plug, or do you need to pump it out?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Ed,
There's a drain plug on the bottom rear of the trans, right side. The fill plug is on the driver's side about center half way up.
You'll need 4 quarts, but probably won't use quite all of it. You refill it until it runs out of the filler hole. You could also pull the shifter tower and fill through there untill it runs out the fill hole on the side.
I just changed mine to RedLine D4 a few days ago. We ended up filling it from the top with a hose stuffed into the fill hole. There was a couple of threads here on this topic in the last week or so.
Check them for more info.
I could tell a slight difference after the change. I feel it was worth it.

Dana

edslowey

Established Member
I changed mine to Redline D4 ATF last night. It is a messy job but worth it, IMO. The tranny is noticeably quieter now. I used a $5.00 hand pump from Autozone that had a clip to hold the tube in the fill hole which worked pretty good.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by 4D THNDR
No automotive manufacturer can demand that you use their line of lubricants for warranty purposes unless they supply them to you free of charge. The only requirement is that your choice meets their specs.
This is correct.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yelo: As long as the fluid is red, they will not test it - I have done 100's of oil analyses, and never once did it come back saying "This is so and so oil". They just measure it for standard oil parameters - as long as those meet or exceed Dex III/Mercon V specs, you are fine. Red Line D4 does, who knows about Royal Purple or GM Synchro, but they sure as hell are not red and will arouse suspicion. Put in the red Line and be done with it - that is what i did.

03DOHC: You are right, but as i said above, if they test the lube in the tranny and it does not meet Dex or Merc specs, they certainly could deny warranty coverage on the tranny. I would. I would stick with a name brand ATF, either high quality mineral oil like Valvoline MaxLife, a synblend, a quality RED synoil like Mobil 1, Valvoline, or Red Line ATF, or a RED light gear oil like Red Line MTL.

I would not recommend the "miracles in a bottle" such as GM Synchromesh or RP for our cars as at least one of them (GM's) was designed for a very specific transmission application (hence, it is classified as a GL-S for "Gear Lube - Special" , and that special transmission was not the T56. Who knows what is in RP, so I say again to the Royal Purplites- disclose or it "no goes" in my car. I do not like to throw dice with my expensive car parts.

Users who are viewing this thread