will my car make power? at 6k rpms

1989Gt.

Banned
Only reason I ask is cause I lost to my held fully bolted 00gt with 373s

I just finished my break in on my b head 10.8:1 compression cobra swap but im on a stock ft tune. I can't shift past 6k so ice been shifting at 58 or so what kinda power should i make tuned

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Why can't you shift past 6K? I'm assuming your car is originally a gt?

What bolts ons/mods are done to your car?

*ninja edit*
Just saw on your sig that your car is a gt, so yes you definitely need a tune.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
you should be shifting around 6500, will the car not rev that high? rev limiter set too low?

1989Gt.

Banned
Yea im on stock gt tune, but does my car makr any kind of power there. The car won't even start to pull till 4k and I know I'm cutting it off my gears are also 3:08s lol and I have a jlt and h pipe and spintech catback

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
What cams are in it? Stock Intake or shortrunner? A stock cammed and intaked cobra motor peaks around 6200rpm, with a shortrunner it peaks around 6600 rpm so yes you should make power past 6k rpm but with that stock gt tune and those 3.08s you're not going to pull on anybody.

1989Gt.

Banned
Cobra intake cams and no short runner imrc deleted to. So the flat tops did nothing? If I get kt tuned then what? Also if I shift around 6600 would that be ok

SFlaCobra

Established Member
Yea im on stock gt tune, but does my car makr any kind of power there. The car won't even start to pull till 4k and I know I'm cutting it off my gears are also 3:08s lol and I have a jlt and h pipe and spintech catback

zj81e9.gif

Uh, get it tuned for a 4v then go from there...

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Flat tops and bump in compression helped but you won't feel the difference shifting under 6k with the stock gt tune, honestly I'm surprised you're still running the stock gt tune.

I shift my car at 7k rpm so you should be fine. Mine pulls all the way through to redline, doesn't fall on its face after 6500rpm...but I also have a shortrunner so that helps.

1989Gt.

Banned
Lol its the same harness as a gt.... and the only difference is parameters are pretty close
It actually runs amazing no issues besides the 6k redline

1989Gt.

Banned
Lol its the same harness as a gt.... and the only difference is parameters are pretty close
It actually runs amazing no issues besides the 6k redline

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Still needs to be tuned to be able to run correctly, you're not making full power whatsoever with that stock gt tune and the IMRC deletes are killing your power down low coupled with the 3.08 gears. Why such a low gear? Planning on throwing a turbo or kenne bell at it? If not those 3.08s gotta go to make room for some 4.10s at least.

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
3.08 gears! No wonder u lost! Why are u trying to shift past 6k with an untuned motor in the first place. Are u just trying to mess up all ur hard work.

1989Gt.

Banned
How's it going to mess anything up I'm not getting any codes but yes thr 3:08s are stock I hate them

Bad03gt

Do what!?
Established Member
Just cause you have no code doesn't mean anything! Guess I just play it safe. Get a set of 373 or 410s depending on if you boost or keep it N/A

SFlaCobra

Established Member
You need a tune!! I shift at 7k , your missing out bro.

For now take it easy and Just stick to racing del sol's or something cause with those gears and untuned your not beating much else.

If your spraying get 4.30s, DR's then start yanking people. Simple.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread