Window cleaning.

Coiled03

Established Member
Probably a stupid question, but here goes....

Is there any EASY way to tell if your windows are truly clean, and streak free? It seems like whenever I clean my windows and I think I'm done, if I look at them in just the right light, I'll find streaks, smears, etc. It's almost like trying to find wax you need to remove. You have to have the right lighting. But, for windows, it's even more difficult, or at least I think it is.

Is there anything I can use to EASILY tell if they're really clean? A special kind of light (UV?), maybe?

D1984

Whining
Established Member
I always go over it again with light pressure with a damp microfiber to get streaks out. Then another completely dry microfiber to get the lint off. Works well.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Will try, I can never seem to get the windows clean.
One of my co-workers who borrowed my stuff to clean his windows is now a convert who wondered aloud how/why a small car care company can make something that works so well when the likes of SC Johnson can't seem to do it...

Note that Adam's guarantees satisfaction. Let them know if you're not happy - you can request an exchange, refund, or store credit.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
I found direct sunlight to be the best at revealing dirty/streaked glass.

FWIW, the right cleaner and towel go a long way toward solving the problem... I had the same difficulty until I switched to Adam's Glass Cleaner and Glass Towels.

One of my co-workers who borrowed my stuff to clean his windows is now a convert who wondered aloud how/why a small car care company can make something that works so well when the likes of SC Johnson can't seem to do it...

Note that Adam's guarantees satisfaction. Let them know if you're not happy - you can request an exchange, refund, or store credit.

Is your name Adam?

*disclaimer
This is definitely a joke and I'm assuming that you are just a private consumer sharing a product you like (for that-we all thank you), but you are coming off as a salesman and/or shareholder in Adam's products. The more I reread your posts, the more I imagine someone angrily scrubbing their windows with terrible technique still leaving streaks....and then boom, Billy Mays pops in to save the day.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE

again, I'm joking, but I can't be the only one reading it this way

Coiled03

Established Member
I found direct sunlight to be the best at revealing dirty/streaked glass.

FWIW, the right cleaner and towel go a long way toward solving the problem... I had the same difficulty until I switched to Adam's Glass Cleaner and Glass Towels.

Yes, no question direct sunlight is the best. However, sometimes I clean then windows when it's cloudy, and then, when I think I'm done, the sun comes out, and it looks like I never even cleaned them.

I have glass cleaner from another reputable car care product company, and I can't imagine the towels can make any difference, as long as they're microfiber. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
What about sun spots? Had one of my rear windows replaced on my 04 and the spots are significant.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those Adam's Polishing products look good. I just watched their video detailing how to properly clean and seal the exterior of your windshield. I don't need the stuff now, but I'll probably be a customer at some point.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Lurking....and reading... I can never seem to get windshield completely streak-free. Often times, the inside of the glass seems to be coated with some spectacularly sticky residue that does NOT want to come off.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I use Meguiar's window cleaner and cheap Wal-Mart microfiber rags, then follow up with a dry microfiber rag after. Seems to work well for me and I do it every couple months. I think the biggest thing is having dedicated rags for cleaning only your windows.

Try newspaper for wipe down.
I've heard of people using a magic eraser to really get the window clean and then wiping it off with newspaper.

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
I use Meguiar's window cleaner and cheap Wal-Mart microfiber rags, then follow up with a dry microfiber rag after. Seems to work well for me and I do it every couple months. I think the biggest thing is having dedicated rags for cleaning only your windows.

I've heard of people using a magic eraser to really get the window clean and then wiping it off with newspaper.
I use the magic eraser for my bathtub so it should work for water stains. Good call

Coiled03

Established Member
Lurking....and reading... I can never seem to get windshield completely streak-free. Often times, the inside of the glass seems to be coated with some spectacularly sticky residue that does NOT want to come off.

The inside is a whole different ball game. The off-gassing from interior materials makes it difficult to get, and keep the inside of the windshield in particular, clean.

Try newspaper for wipe down.

I've used that in the past. Maybe I'll give it another try.

I also need to try a magic eraser. The water where I live is so hard, I might as well be spraying rocks onto my car. The water spots I get are BAD, if I don't dry it with the quickness.

M91196

Established Member
I find a dry microfiber does a lot of good.

Also use 90% isopropyl alcohol on one side and buff with the dry side for the road grime and interior haze.

Once a year I will polish the glass on the daily

Lemmiwinks

Established Member
Window cleaner has never ever worked for me.
I've tried the different "tricks" people say work, and I've managed to mess it up every single time. It's been a lost cause.
Until I tried the Meguiars Quick Detailer on my car (the paint) and was astonished about it's qualitys on the paint. "Hmm, I wonder what it does to the windows...".
That stuff makes the windows perfect! Zero streaks, zero dirt, no hazing. And to minimum effort! I could spend 3-5 minutes on 1 window with window cleaner solvent with a failed result, this takes 5 seconds of your time.
Just put it on a microfiber towel and go to town. It's fantastic!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Window cleaner has never ever worked for me.
I've tried the different "tricks" people say work, and I've managed to mess it up every single time. It's been a lost cause.
Until I tried the Meguiars Quick Detailer on my car (the paint) and was astonished about it's qualitys on the paint. "Hmm, I wonder what it does to the windows...".
That stuff makes the windows perfect! Zero streaks, zero dirt, no hazing. And to minimum effort! I could spend 3-5 minutes on 1 window with window cleaner solvent with a failed result, this takes 5 seconds of your time.
Just put it on a microfiber towel and go to town. It's fantastic!

Do you use this on the inside as well?

Users who are viewing this thread