Wine...??

Grizzly Adams

Resident Hippie
Established Member
I've slowly been getting into wine, but have mostly been drinking fairly large market brands so far. Any suggestions? Reds or whites are fine by me. I live in the Pacific NW so any CA or local vintners would be best. Any other suggestions will not go unnoticed however.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
California has some of the best Chardonnays in the world, great summer wine. There are so many of them it's hard to pick one or two. When I buy wine it's by the case, I mix it up. I'd stay away from the cheap stuff, IMHO anything under $10.00 (750ml) might not taste so good. Enjoy!:beer:

Karnick_GT

Working on my tan...
Established Member
Just start trying wines out...what one person likes may not be for you. My wife and I personally like the reds, and I have been recommended some exspense wine that I hated. Find something you enjoy, then tbranch out...theres no right or wrong here!

2003 Silver

Banned
I enjoy California merlots....like said above, try a bunch your likes may be different. Don't underestimate a good box wine either.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I love wine. White for casual drinking and reds with dinner. I usually start with a 20-25 dollar bottle and then shoot for a 10 dollar bottle. Try different types and you will find your favorite. I never buy the mass produced stuff because it does not seem to have any character.

Read the labels - When you read the details such as "A Hint of This, and These After tones" you will realize exactly what they are talking about. Most important thing with Red's is to let them breathe IMO.

Local winery's can produce some good wine. Just go to a good size wine store and they can educate you on what is best from your region. My Wife's father owns a small vineyard in Central Washington state so we drink alot of Washington wine. He produces a small amount of wine for personal use but mostly grows Concords for Smuckers.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The secret is that there are tons of great wines for under $10.00 a bottle. Almost any label you see at the grocery store is going to be enjoyable, and some are really good.

Francis Ford Coppola even has a winery these days, and they are very, very good. You won't get them for $10.00 a bottle, but they are very reasonably priced.

Sam's Club has some terrific bargains on good to great wines.

Expect your tastes to change. When I got into wines all I could stand were white wines. Now all I ever drink are Cabernet Sauvignons and other reds. All the white wines are too sweet for me, anymore.

"Wine for Dummies" is a great intro book.

Jim Snover

scottminot

Established Member
I've been making my own wine for about two years. The greatest thing about making your own is you can pretty much make it to your own taste. I've made some excellent blueberry, apple, and different types of meads (honey wine). Way cheaper in the long run.

As far as store bought wine I prefer to buy wine made from local wineries in my area.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
You have a great selection there in California. Michigan has quite a few good wineries here, too. One of my favorites is a white wine called Blue Heron. Try a bottle if you get the chance.

St. Julian Winery

Their Merlot is good, too. One of my favorite Merlots is Behringer.

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
When it comes to wine it's all about YOUR taste as each person has a different preference across the board.

My most recent find is a Dona Paula Los Cardos Cabernet that's very tasty and only $13 haha. :thumbsup:

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
Remarkably enough, the wine stewards at Fred Meyer are quite good. I am pretty sure they are all over the NW. Each store steward is in charge of ordering wine for the store, so each one is a little different. They have specials on the end caps with notes and recommendations. I have been very impressed.

The other weekend we picked up a Wilakenzie Pinot Gris that I thought was spectacular for $15.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Yes it is!!:beer:

+2 on that

My entire family is 100% Italian and are in the restaurant biz so we're very big on wines.

Wine does NOT have to be expensive to be good. I bet if I poured a glass of wine from a $1000 bottle and one from a $20 bottle, most would not be able to distinguish the two.

Try different wines. When dining out, ask the Sommolier to recommend a wine that will compliment the dish, or ask try to pick his brain on what kind of wines go with several kinds of different food.

Dont buy a fancy bottle of wine just because its expensive. Most likely you'll be dissapointed.

Oh, and take a trip to wine country :beer:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I can second that opinion: When a bottle gets over $45.00 or so, I can't tell much difference; I just don't have the palette to appreciate it. I've had a glass from a $500.00 dollar bottle, and it was wasted on me.

However, drinking wine has made me a much more picky beer drinker. No more guzzling the cheap stuff, for me. And it can't be too cold, anymore, because that kills the flavor. Unfortunately, you can't drink most American mass-produced beers if they are not cold.

Jim Snover

+2 on that

My entire family is 100% Italian and are in the restaurant biz so we're very big on wines.

Wine does NOT have to be expensive to be good. I bet if I poured a glass of wine from a $1000 bottle and one from a $20 bottle, most would not be able to distinguish the two.

Try different wines. When dining out, ask the Sommolier to recommend a wine that will compliment the dish, or ask try to pick his brain on what kind of wines go with several kinds of different food.

Dont buy a fancy bottle of wine just because its expensive. Most likely you'll be dissapointed.

Oh, and take a trip to wine country :beer:

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
I can second that opinion: When a bottle gets over $45.00 or so, I can't tell much difference; I just don't have the palette to appreciate it. I've had a glass from a $500.00 dollar bottle, and it was wasted on me.

However, drinking wine has made me a much more picky beer drinker. No more guzzling the cheap stuff, for me. And it can't be too cold, anymore, because that kills the flavor. Unfortunately, you can't drink most American mass-produced beers if they are not cold.

Jim Snover

You're right about the beer. I think I've outgrown the domestic brands. I tried a delicious beer a few weeks ago called Chimay. I dont normally like darker beers, but this was so good. Its brewed in a Belgian Monestary by monks!

PonyFever

'03 DSG vert 3816 of 5082
Established Member
I'm a fairly recent convert to wine from my beloved MGD. The nice thing about wine is it's beneficial every day for the heart (or so I'm told). I was indoctrinated with 2 Buck Chuck (even though it's now $3.99 in Nevada). I tend more to Merlot for now and recently found a White Merlot from Bheringer and Sutter Homes. A bit smoother than most and I could easily have more than one glass an evening. My g/f just said it tastes most like a late harvest wine?? Regardless, I'm confortable with the $5 - $15 bottle since we each have at least one glass a night. Be well,

Users who are viewing this thread