Winter storage oil

Draiter

Established Member
Quick question.
Any harm in putting 10w30 in the car just to store it for the winter, no driving and then changing that out for 10w40 hps in the spring?
10w30 synthetic is on for cheap...

Thanks

Teddy O

Established Member
Always changed my oil before stirring it for the winter.. No need?

I think what Bruno means is it's a waste of time to change the oil to put it in storage, then change it again in the Spring to take it out. Just change the oil with your favorite oil to put it away, then pull it out in the Spring and drive it.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I think what Bruno means is it's a waste of time to change the oil to put it in storage, then change it again in the Spring to take it out. Just change the oil with your favorite oil to put it away, then pull it out in the Spring and drive it.
+1.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Oil doesn't go bad sitting over the winter. It would be a waste of time and $$$. I have to laugh at the "change every 6 months even if it only has 100 miles on it" rule. I have seen many many vehicles parked for 10yrs with the same oil and they still look perfect inside.

Last edited:

DrTriton

Established Member
Just put my '11 GT in storage - gave it a good couple of blasts on the way to the garage to ensure no moisture was left in the exhaust but other than that I shut it off, pulled the battery and put a cover on it. Done.

As others mentioned, don't waste your time/money on an oil change for winter storage.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The better question is, why put 10w-40 in the Spring time when the manufacturer calls for 5w-50?

Draiter

Established Member
Thanks everyone. Answered my questions. Well just change the 10w40 hps and be done with it.

The factory Ford oil shears to a 40wt oil in a very very short time. 10w40 is the perfect oil for the car.

Marc

Established Member
My oil light came on to change with only 2500 miles on it. I am packing the car away for the winter this month. I am not going to change the oil just to let it sit for 4 months. I might drive it 50 miles over the winter. I will change it when I break it out next year.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
What about the synthetic suggestion of 1yr between changes? What if it's been one year and you've only driven about 1000 miles? Should you change before you store, or let it sit with the 1+yr oil in it and change it in Spring?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
...just change the 10w40 hps and be done with it.

The factory Ford oil shears to a 40wt oil in a very very short time. 10w40 is the perfect oil for the car.

I am running AMSOIL XL 10W-40. Very happy with it, better oil and cost less than what Ford sells there 5W-50 for.
+1.

What about the synthetic suggestion of 1yr between changes? What if it's been one year and you've only driven about 1000 miles? Should you change before you store, or let it sit with the 1+yr oil in it and change it in Spring?
In short, yes. According to page 258 of the Owner's Manual, "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage."

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
+1.

In short, yes. According to page 258 of the Owner's Manual, "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage."

Yeah, but that same owner's manual also recommends you use 5w-50 oil... So why would anyone believe such an idiotic document? Don't change your oil before storage. In fact, just drain it and run your car without it. It's completely unnecessary and your engine will most likely longer without any oil. I'm sure the requirement for oil is just a conspiracy between Ford and big oil to convince you to put that worthless stuff into your motor.

I prefer to get my oil advice not from the vehicle manufacturer. They probably haven't even tested it. I'd rather get my advice on the lifeblood of my engine from the Internet. Everything on the internet must be true, or at least good advice. Any hot chicks out there interested in a date with a French Model?

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Yeah, but that same owner's manual also recommends you use 5w-50 oil... So why would anyone believe such an idiotic document? Don't change your oil before storage. In fact, just drain it and run your car without it. It's completely unnecessary and your engine will most likely longer without any oil. I'm sure the requirement for oil is just a conspiracy between Ford and big oil to convince you to put that worthless stuff into your motor.

I prefer to get my oil advice not from the vehicle manufacturer. They probably haven't even tested it. I'd rather get my advice on the lifeblood of my engine from the Internet. Everything on the internet must be true, or at least good advice. Any hot chicks out there interested in a date with a French Model?
Yeah, something like that. I don't understand why some folks see a need to devolve oil discussions this way. (Thankfully, the Ignore List provides an easy fix.)

If you'd taken the time to read it, you'd know Draiter answered your question before you even asked it. I prefer to base decisions on empirical data. Both the recommendations I made were founded in exactly that. (Amsoil's 10W-40 provides almost the exact viscosity of Ford's 5W-50, without having to wait for it to shear, all-the-while providing a superior additive package. Used oil, by definition, contains contaminants that new oil doesn't.)

You choose the oil you want to (along with how/when you want to change it) and let the rest of us do the same, without all the hyperbole. I guarantee we're as comfortable, perhaps moreso, with the "lifeblood of our engines" than you are, even in the absence of French models.

Last edited:

delvek

Established Member
Reading this post makes me happy to be living in Tampa, FL now as I just moved from many years of living in Germany and the fact that I would have to "garage" my non-winterized play cars.

Ablaze

Established Member
I'm on the fence about the stabil. I know a lot of people don't keep their cars long enough for anything to really matter but my wife and I have already put plans into our next house for permanent storage of some vehicles we'll be holding onto forever. Since the vehicle will be stored for over 3 months I will probably use it, waiting to ask my mechanic in person of his thoughts.

I've just ordered some Amsoil to change my oil for the winter. I changed my oil once at 2500 miles and I'll be changing it again here at 5500 miles. The next few years I'll have even less time to drive, maybe 100 miles a month at most. I'll change the oil just once before every winter, regardless of miles, and add a battery tender.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
What about fuel treatment for storage?
I started using Star Tron, as a solution for both ethanol issues and gas stabilization for vehicle storage. As an added bonus, it increased gas mileage in the Shelby and my Tacoma by about 10%. (We only saw about a 5% increase in my wife's BMW.)

If you decide to try it, note that there are concentrated/automotive, small engine, and marine varieties. You want the CONCENTRATED/AUTOMOTIVE version. (The small engine variety isn't as strong and requires a higher doage level, increasing cost.) The best deals I've found on it are via eBay and Amazon. It's not cheap but, the bump in gas mileage actually makes it pay for itself. Literally, YMMV...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread