Winter storage oil

Monkeygrits

Newb SVT Poster
Established Member
My car gets maybe 2k miles on the oil a season. I always change it first thing when I get it out of storage. The Mobil 1 still looks great.

brianz426

Established Member
What about fuel treatment for storage?

I like to change my oil before I put the car away. I also like to put it away with a fresh tank of fuel containing Bell Performance Ethanol Defense. http://www.bellperformance.com/fuel-treatment/ethanol-defense

I saw a demonstration at a car show with this product in glass containers and what impressed me is the way it kept the ethanol and moisture suspended in the fuel. In the demonstration you could see how other products allowed fuel and moisture to separate.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Change oil before storage = happy car. Leave dirty oil in over winter - blech!

Fill the tank full before storage. I honestly don't know about a fuel additive over winter. My concern would be it reacting when you run it through the vehicle come spring.

Tom

Robot_trainer

Established Member
Depends where you store it. If its a damp location you might want to use an oil with some anti-corrosion additives. Otherwise just change the oil. The main thing is you want to store it with fresh oil if its going to sit. Once the oil has been in there a while it gets contaminated with blow by which reacts with moisture making an acid that can actually pit bearings, journals etc. The modern synthetics are better at preventing this, but it just cheap insurance to change it. No need to re-change it in the spring.

I usually put a bit of stabil in with a full tank of gas and always run star-tron with ethanol fuel so it the ethanol and moisture doesn't separate from the fuel. By the way, i run Red Line 10W40 in mine since the Motocraft recommended 5W50 shears down to a 10W40 anyway after short time.

Users who are viewing this thread