Winter tire questions! yay

chuckstang

Established Member
Car- 2011 GT Mustang 6 sp manual with factory 18" wheels and all season 235/50/18 pirelli tires.

I am looking for the cheapest way to provide maximum traction when the snow and ice get bad here in Boston.

Buying a winter beater is not an option unless someone else is paying for it and the insurance ;)

I am figuring the easiest and cheapest ways would be to keep the stock set up up front and swap the rear tires only to these...

Winter 240 Sottozero(Performance Winter/Snow)
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero

Thoughts?

thanks!

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Boston has great public transportation. If thats not an option, I went to Town Fair Tire and got a snow tire pkg for my wifes van. I think it was $800 for steel rims and Blizzak snows. Works awesome.
Not sure how much it would be for the stang. Give em a call.

Bud

Established Member
I'd get snow tires all the way around, stopping/turning is just as important as acceleration. Sucks that 18" snow tires are so expensive!

Erich

Established Member
I tried front only blizzaks on my 97 and it did not work well. With all 4 it was excellent. When thinking about skimping on snow tires, think about crashing. You would so wish you had bought the good ones once something goes wrong.
Erich

chuckstang

Established Member
the car comes with All season tires, I was hoping thatd be enough for the stopping and turning dutys up front?
Anyone with real world driving experience with this new 5.0?

chuckstang

Established Member
I'd get snow tires all the way around, stopping/turning is just as important as acceleration. Sucks that 18" snow tires are so expensive!

true but probably still cheaper than buying new smaller wheels...i cant imagine the price difference being that much between say 17 and 18...

Can you run a 17" wheel on the front of the new 5.0s with the standard brakes?

rexisme

Established Member
Real world experience will tell you a proper set of matching tires no matter what season is necessary. Why buy something you truly cannot afford? Just cause you can make the payment doesn't mean you can afford the car.

chuckstang

Established Member
thanks.

I'll do 4 snow/ice tires.

But still was hoping someone with a new 5.0 that has tried driving in the winter with the factory all season tires or true snow tires would chime in.

I guess not as many nuts on here as me

Phillystang2000

Member of the O&A Army
Established Member
I got caught out in one snow storm last winter with my car. I have the 18s on my car and they got me home (very hilly section of Philadelphia). It was a bit of a white knuckle ride. I def. would invest in snow tires if I had to drive mine full time in the winter. Luckily my sister gave me her old Jeep Liberty when she bought her new one, so I can leave my 5.0 parked on snow days.

Bud

Established Member
thanks.

I'll do 4 snow/ice tires.

But still was hoping someone with a new 5.0 that has tried driving in the winter with the factory all season tires or true snow tires would chime in.

I guess not as many nuts on here as me

I drove my 2006 GT 5spd with 4.11's all winter here in Colorado on the stock all season tires. There were a few pucker moments but I made it. We don't get ice out here though, just snow pack mostly. I wouldn't do ice in the all seasons.

grnenvy

Established Member
Yes

This guy is right! I ran the same setup on my 91 conv 5.0 back in the day and it worked awesome. I would also add about 200lbs in the trunk.

Boston has great public transportation. If thats not an option, I went to Town Fair Tire and got a snow tire pkg for my wifes van. I think it was $800 for steel rims and Blizzak snows. Works awesome.
Not sure how much it would be for the stang. Give em a call.

Users who are viewing this thread