Wiring advice needed

travix

Established Member
Hey guys, new here but I've been trying to read and search for a couple weeks now to no avail.

To the issue, I've got a 99 cobra vert and I am doing a terminator swap on it. I have everything, all harnesses, engine, tranny, driveshaft, gauges, fuel tank, the works. Now, my question is, do I have to change the body harness? I know the dash harness and engine and tranny harness have to be changed, but I'd rather not strip the seats and carpet out if I can avoid it.

Any advice and help is greatly appreciated.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Are you wanting to swap out the harness? Because you don't have to. Your current ECU can be used.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
If you are changing the dash harness, then yes, you must change the body harness, too. Some of the plugs are different. However, as said, you don't need to change so much if you don't want to.

travix

Established Member
We are changing the dash harness for the gauges and such. But if I decide to not change it will the gauges still work without repinning? Also the body harness will take care of the fuel tank differences too correct?

Thank you for the information, everything helps.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do some research. Dash swaps have been done on here. And I think the tank issue is taken care of with a couple of wires cut and soldered. Which is a lot easier than swapping a full harness IMO.

travix

Established Member
I have done research. This is why I'm asking. I'm tired of the hit and miss with Google and stuff. I want some good straight up information without going on another goose hunt

travix

Established Member
Gotcha. I wasn't meaning to sound rude. I've just been trying to avoid tearing out the interior but it seems like the only sure fire way to ensure everything will work without headache

01yellercobra

Established Member
I guess I'm missing where you have to rip out the interior. The threads I found for the gas tank didn't require ripping out the interior. Yeah, you have to mess with wires, but still easier than pulling the interior. Unless you want the boost gauge in the dash you can keep your current gauge panel. The trans harness doesn't need to be changed. All I did for mine was solder longer wires to reach the back up switch on the other side of the trans. For the reverse lock out I ran a power wire to the brake light switch and looped a ground to one of the bolts that holds the lock out solenoid. Under the hood your stock MAF wire should reach. You'll have to run a power wire for the intercooler pump. And you'll have to extend the wires for the IAT sensor. Only because it's better to take the reading from the IAT2 position in the manifold.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
I have done the same exact swap a few times, including my own '99 convertible. I swapped out the entire interior and dash assembly because I wanted the double-DIN stereo and nicer steering wheel. However, if all you want is the gauges, they plug right into the '99 harness with no mods required. You'll just need to have the PATS disabled in the tune. You'll also need to run the vacuum hose for the boost gage.

As for the fuel tank, it is a direct plug and play swap. No wiring mods required whatsoever. The plug at the rear bumper mates perfectly to the '04 tank. You're way overthinking this.

Jake

travix

Established Member
One more question, if the 03 tank is a plug and play then why are there posts about tank differences and the wiring "fix" that involves a larger gauge wire?

Nightmare90gt

Established Member
So you're swapping all that and you don't want to pull the interior. Just remember this if it's worth doing it worth doing it right the first time. You swap an engine, tranny, fuel tank. Etc. But not pull the interior which take far less time than the 3 mentioned tasks. Just myou .02 if I was you I would install the harness.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
The tank is plug and play for 01's. The 99's are different. Read the threads I linked.

If you're only swapping the hat/pumps and sender assembly, then, yes, a bit of wiring mods are in order. If you are swapping the entire tank, then it is plug and play.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
If you're only swapping the hat/pumps and sender assembly, then, yes, a bit of wiring mods are in order. If you are swapping the entire tank, then it is plug and play.

How does that work? The hat is the part with the wiring. The tank doesn't matter. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm honestly curious. I've only known one guy locally with a 99 and he didn't do any of the work. He paid for it all.

green99_svt

Established Member
I agree with 99 cobra vert the wiring only needs to be pinned out or spliced if you use 99 style evap lines and sensor with an 03 hat. If you use the 03 evap lines and sensor you don't need to swap the wires out.

99Cobra_vert

Established Member
How does that work? The hat is the part with the wiring. The tank doesn't matter. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm honestly curious. I've only known one guy locally with a 99 and he didn't do any of the work. He paid for it all.

I've read where people will buy the hat assembly without wiring, then try to make it work with their New Edge wiring.

Me, I've only swapped the entire tank assemblies, and there is no wiring mods that need to be performed whatsoever when swapping either a '99 or '01 tank for an '03/04.

Users who are viewing this thread