With a quarter mile of 9 seconds at 140 mph this car makes drag cars pointless.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Introducing the all new Porsche 935. This car has 19 inch rims, wide body kit, whale tail spoiler, and basically slaps the shit out of most the crappy cardboard box shaped drag cars you've ever built. This is a real car, using a a real Porsche 911 chassis. Racers used to put tags on these cars to test them on the highway, and grab lunch at the same time. Most drag cars can't do this, as their cars basically suck, and can't even turn into the McDonalds drive through without running over a few kids. All this happened in the 1970's and is not a new car. Yes it's older than cardboard box shaped mustangs, and looks better too. For me this is the ultimate Race Car besides a Ford GT40.

Enjoy!

[youtube_browser]uF9DT0iUg5w[/youtube_browser]

oldmodman

Established Member
They were amazing cars. Especially since that can still be bought for a reasonable (to some people) price.

But I will always be happy that I took a week off of work to go to The Historics at Laguna Seca when Porsche was the honored manufacturer.

I was hanging off the outside fence on the hill going up to the corkscrew when the three 917-30s went by every lap. They were running in full race form, turbo on the flat 12 turned up to 1100hp. I will never forget that incredible sound. When racing in their youth they made over 1500hp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkP5Svl16Qg

Here is the full race at Laguna Seca. Race starts at 8 min. Just think about the amount of money that is involved in bringing these cars to California to "race. They are not going all out. Not terribly surprising since the cars are worth between 3 million and 22 million dollars each. The differences are due to the race and number of wins the particular car had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QRPy785nGY

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
Thanks for the post oldmodman. I could spend all day watching those video's! It takes a special kind of driver to be able to handle cars like these with no assistance technologies.

slow306stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Meh, aggressive post is stuck in the past. My 12gt runs 9.8s at 142, didnt involve a race team, my car is street legal, runs on pump gas, has headlights, and everything else a street legal car has.

Car posted is a full blown race car. Cool for its time, yes.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Meh, aggressive post is stuck in the past. My 12gt runs 9.8s at 142, didnt involve a race team, my car is street legal, runs on pump gas, has headlights, and everything else a street legal car has.

OP has a hard-on for "cardboard box shaped mustangs" this weekend.

Pretty sweet porsche, though.

bb83

YOLO
Established Member

And at the end of the day you have a Mustang along with a million other people. What your forgetting is that Porsche would annihilate your gt in a road course and is unique. Nothing against your gt but it's a Mustang gt....... I'll probably get flamed being on a Ford site but there's more than mullets and straight line performance.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
His GT didnt cost north of 100k, either.

And mullets are camaro guys... Mustang guys drive through crowds. Get your tired jokes right at least.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member

That 1978 Porsche 935 has headlights, tail lights, and blinkers. They tagged those cars, went to lunch in them, and tuned/tested them on public highways. They would literally go to lunch in the race car, and come back to the track for more racing. Some owners even converted their 935's to street cars.

The Porsche 935 had advanced aerodynamics, and 19 inch rims in the 1970's. Needless to say that Porsche 911 is still more advanced than your 2012 GT engineering wise. That Porsche 911 paved the way for the factory plastic panels/bumpers, and high performance factory 19-20 inch rims you see on Mustangs today.

Omg do you write articles for weather.com also? Awesome car, still nothing special

Nothing special? The Porsche 935 won Lemans, and along with the Ford GT40 is considered one of the greatest race cars of all time.

How long would that Fox last on a real race track? Probably not long, because you'd soon find out the importance of long term engine cooling. That Fox might last a few minutes.

Don't try to praise a car by talking shit about other cars. That 911 ain't got shit on my COBRA!

To be fair the Porsche 935 has been beaten by a highly tuned/tube chassis IMSA naturally aspirated 1970 Boss Mustang before. The point is this Porsche 935 can do a lot more than go in a straight line. Having a 9 second car with a top speed of over 225mph while still outhandling just about every car in the world is no small task.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
And at the end of the day you have a Mustang along with a million other people. What your forgetting is that Porsche would annihilate your gt in a road course and is unique. Nothing against your gt but it's a Mustang gt....... I'll probably get flamed being on a Ford site but there's more than mullets and straight line performance.

His S-197 GT would have to outperform SN95 SVT Cobra's first.

[youtube_browser]AzpDOFOvdek[/youtube_browser]

DirtyD916

SVT Based God
Established Member
I was always curious as to how they would run in the 1/4. I wonder what the actual ET was as I doubt it would be a 9.0 when you are going 0-60mph and trapping 143mph. I saw a few of these are Sonoma Raceway many years ago and they just make all of the right sounds and smells.

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
To be fair the Porsche 935 has been beaten by a highly tuned/tube chassis IMSA naturally aspirated 1970 Boss Mustang before. The point is this Porsche 935 can do a lot more than go in a straight line. Having a 9 second car with a top speed of over 225mph while still outhandling just about every car in the world is no small task.

Being ~2,200lbs helps a lot too. Pretty sweet car

Users who are viewing this thread