With power adders being equal - is there a big difference in MY's?

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
So I am on the quest for the right GT500 as evident in my other thread about the whipple 2010 for sale. I was watching a video of a grabber blue 2012 with a twin turbo which I will link below. In the video the owner mentions it has a coyote ECU. What was the purpose of doing so? Is it just because tuning it is "easier" or more convenient in some way?

Let's say I am looking at a 2011/2012 and a 2013/2014 - both are equal miles, same color, same options, same condition but there is a $10k difference. I am planning on removing the stock blower anyways and doing some heavy modifications. I know the motors are different from a 5.8 and a 5.4 along with the big HP difference stock and of course cosmetic differences. But what would I really be gaining with the 2013-2014 if I was going to do build anyways? The cosmetic differences do not matter to me that much. I am just thinking that it would cost me less to get the same result when all is said and done, or am I missing something key?
video of 2012 twin turbo with 2013 front bumper, tail lights and grill

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Start with a HIGHER mileage unit, save some money for the turbo, and you WILL have to perform teardown and rebuild of the factory motor.

Where do turbos like to operate? Higher RPMs.
Where do stock motors not like to operate at? Higher RPMs

$10k difference between model years, 1 item the 13/14 has that the others don't, carbon fiber ONE piece driveshaft. That's worth $1,000+

The Engines (no matter what year) are going to require "work". Rods and pistons are the limiting factors in the 5.4/5.8.

I will let others chime in who have more knowledge. If it were me and I wanted a turbo, I would not look towards a Shelby platform to start with. That's just me

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Start with a HIGHER mileage unit, save some money for the turbo, and you WILL have to perform teardown and rebuild of the factory motor.

Where do turbos like to operate? Higher RPMs.
Where do stock motors not like to operate at? Higher RPMs

$10k difference between model years, 1 item the 13/14 has that the others don't, carbon fiber ONE piece driveshaft. That's worth $1,000+

The Engines (no matter what year) are going to require "work". Rods and pistons are the limiting factors in the 5.4/5.8.

I will let others chime in who have more knowledge. If it were me and I wanted a turbo, I would not look towards a Shelby platform to start with. That's just me
Thanks for the response. I know the GT500 is not super popular in the turbo crowd but I like unique. I also am very particular about condition so anything with some miles will have too much wear for me. I have had other turbo cars most notably a cammed 1995 supra with a 76mm turbo which was absolutely insane. I was recently looking at GTR's and Gallardo's which do really well with turbos. Those are cars that might be in the stable at some point but for now I have my heart set on another mustang. I might be perfectly happy with a twin screw GT500 , keeping my options open.

HKusp

Established Member
I don't know why they went with a Coyote ecu. The thing with a 5.4/5.8 and a turbo is where do turbos really shine? Higher rpm. The 5.4/5.8 are a relatively low revving engine. Stock they redline in the 6500rpm range. You have to do cams and spring work to get them to rev reliably in the high 7000k's. Big $$$ spent to do it. You get a Gen 3 Coyote, stock it redlines at 7400, and not nearly as much money to rev into the 8k's. You go with a Predator or Voodoo build 5.2 and they rev into the 8k's all day long. So turbos, while somewhat unique in the '07-'14 GT500 platform, there is a reason for it.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
i appreciate the insight and that's got me considering a Boss 302 now also. The market on those is pretty high as well and there are not as many out there but that green looks damn good

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Coyote ECUs are usually used to control an automatic. transmission The GT500 ECU has no provision for electronic transmission controls. Beyond that, it makes no sense to me. GT500 has no provision for VCT either.

On edit: That 2012 is 1320Junkie's car. It's an automatic conversion.

It's easy enough to sleeve a 5.4 aluminum block to enlarge the bore to 5.8 dimensions. I just used a new 5.8 aluminum block to build mine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread