Won't pass NC emissions inspection.

prn1972

Established Member
I have done kam resets, never threw a code, I believe it just reset the computers adaptive learning memory, I may be wrong on that Idk, if he has the problem I had there will be no codes, it will take a tuner that knows what he is doing to open the file & change the correct things

VNMOUS1

Established Member
VMP tunes will not pass... At least here in TN they don't. That's what was in prn's car when it wouldn't pass.

I passed both OBDII and sniffer in Chicago of all places. And oddly enough, a VMP tune.

KAM reset. Flash stock. Run Ford's OBDII drive cycle. Or drive a variety of styles for a few days with 1/2 to 3/4 fuel (speeds up the process).

Nuar

Established Member
When doing the sct kam reset, the car USUALLY throws a code, but apparently not every time.
Mine did.

prn1972

Established Member
^^^ sure did, from what I was told may car will pass even without cats on it, everything in that doesn't need to be on was turned off & things were changed to make pcm not look at all the monitors & reset the ones that are still on as fast as possible, but from what I was told the problem in SCT software & some things are labeled wrong so you must know which ones it is so the tuner can turn on/off the correct things

Nuar

Established Member
Awesome, i was worried my car wouldnt pass with a catted pipe and my long tubes.
I guess by the time I have to do my emissions, the problems will be mostly sorted out.

Tyler72

Established Member
I passed both OBDII and sniffer in Chicago of all places. And oddly enough, a VMP tune.

KAM reset. Flash stock. Run Ford's OBDII drive cycle. Or drive a variety of styles for a few days with 1/2 to 3/4 fuel (speeds up the process).

Prn's car ran fine and had no codes, but it simply wouldn't pass the readiness monitors for the rear O2 sensors. I'm in no way bashing you or VMP at all. Heck, even the Roush tune wouldn't pass! Roush! Y'all are great guys to deal with and have a lot of cool stuff and tunes that make great power and driveability. I'm just saying that some states' tests are different than others, so what works in Chicago may not work in TN. It's not like you live here and can change the tune and go try it lol. I know that what works here doesn't work in Cali or New York...

:beer:

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Prn's car ran fine and had no codes, but it simply wouldn't pass the readiness monitors for the rear O2 sensors. I'm in no way bashing you or VMP at all. Heck, even the Roush tune wouldn't pass! Roush! Y'all are great guys to deal with and have a lot of cool stuff and tunes that make great power and driveability. I'm just saying that some states' tests are different than others, so what works in Chicago may not work in TN. It's not like you live here and can change the tune and go try it lol. I know that what works here doesn't work in Cali or New York...

:beer:

I dont understand the rear o2 thing. My rear o2 sensors were turned off in my tune and my car passed with the pulley/tune setup just fine. I have yet to see one check engine light.

I found this link that might help with the cycle reset

Ford Motor Company Driving Cycle

Nuar

Established Member
Certain states check for the rear o2's in their emissions testing, mine included. If they read as not ready, its an automatic fail.

prn1972

Established Member
the problem we are talking about here will show no codes which means no engine light will be on, in TN if you have two are more monitors showing not ready you will fail, tuners can go in the file & turn some monitors off so they just read N/A which will let you pass here in TN, now the problem with sct software means you might be turning off/on the wrong things than what you think you are

Rebel302

Established Member
Just went thru this exact same thing OP after pulling my car out of storage. You need 3 rejections from at least 2 places and you will be allowed a waiver. Call the NC License & Theft bureau in your city. All you need is the 3 rejections with some miles between them to qualify, the agent will give you the waiver with a number for the inspection station(the last one you went to) to input into the system and voila :beer: GL

Last edited:

Nuar

Established Member
Well sounds like im still screwed lol
Not ready, N/A makes no difference in CT. Both will fail.
And no exemptions/waivers either, you can retest all you want, they will just suspend the registration here if the car wont pass. Its up to the owner to fix what is causing the car to fail.

Witt

Established Member
Well sounds like im still screwed lol
Not ready, N/A makes no difference in CT. Both will fail.
And no exemptions/waivers either, you can retest all you want, they will just suspend the registration here if the car wont pass. Its up to the owner to fix what is causing the car to fail.

I don't mean to semi-necro a thread, especially since I've just been lurking on this forum, but I finally was able to get my '11 whipple car with pypes longtubes to pass all I/M monitors this morning self tuned with Pro Racer. I've been changing quite a few parameters and don't have it narrowed down to exactly which couple did it, but everything I changed was for a reason and greatly improved drivability anyway.

If you can find a tuner that understands the Ford OBD2 docs, it shouldn't be too hard (if I can do it, anyone should be able to :-D ).

Witt

Established Member
Thats good news :)
Thanks for the reasuring post!

If you have trouble at emissions time, shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can steer you or your tuner in the right direction.

Again, I was able to do this today with longtubes:

98078373-d6a8-40a2-a6cd-74a18f831556_zpscf8324e3.jpg
c6ce3312-e80f-460a-83b2-89acee3d1f59_zps3eee952e.jpg

Witt

Established Member
^^^ sure did, from what I was told may car will pass even without cats on it, everything in that doesn't need to be on was turned off & things were changed to make pcm not look at all the monitors & reset the ones that are still on as fast as possible, but from what I was told the problem in SCT software & some things are labeled wrong so you must know which ones it is so the tuner can turn on/off the correct things

I was one of the guys that emailed you a little while ago about the problem. I'm fairly certain that the parameter your tuner was talking about being mislabeled is the one that determines the limits for the response rate as shown in the ford doc I screenshot below. Adding the longtubes increases this rate and fails to set the IM as ready.

o2response_zps73952b4f.gif

Users who are viewing this thread