Won't pass NC emissions inspection.

war21789

Established Member
I put the cats and factory intake back on and returned the tuner to stock but still can't get the o2 sensors and the heated o2 sensors to go ready. Drove a couple hundred miles with no luck. Tried unhooking the battery for a while and driving again and still nothing. Gotta be inspected by the 15th so any help would be good.

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

sloppymax

Established Member
I am certain you drove enough miles but does not sound like enough cycles. The car has has to be turned off and on a number of times along with the miles driven. At least this is what I have always done and I have not had issues in the past. Unhooking the battery only starts the process over again.

Have you monitored the o2 sensors to make sure they working?

nicksender

Established Member
On many OBDII cars you have to do a certain amount of drive cycles with the car to ready it for testing. There is a procedure many places online that is common to get the system ready with a few quick drives and procedures; but it's a complicated sequence that would require driving it on varying roads with hopefully limited traffic. Unfortunately you can't just turn the car on and off in the driveway to cycle it.

When I have reset my car in the past I just decided it would be easier to drive around for about 75-100 miles and then the system was finally ready for any testing procedures.

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
Will, there's a little hole in the wall shop out on the west end of franklin that ive used several times in the past for my stuff that never passes.

Get my number from hayden or brandon and ill send you the address and some more info on the place

kingnut

Established Member
Das I would delete your post and PM him that info. Dont put a good shops info out in public like that. They get a $10k fine if caught passing a vehicle that doesnt meet spec.

Dasaliac03

TWINscrewed
Established Member
Das I would delete your post and PM him that info. Dont put a good shops info out in public like that. They get a $10k fine if caught passing a vehicle that doesnt meet spec.

Do you see a shop name, address, phone number, or any relevant info besides a slang term used to describe which direction on a 15 mile road to go? No, you do not. I even requested the OP to contact me to get the info. Thanks for wasting my time

prn1972

Established Member
I had this same problem about 5 or 6 months ago, rear o2s & heaters will not reset no matter what you do or how much you drive it, its in SCT software, you are the 6th car I have seen with the exact same problem I had, took my tuner a month to get it to pass emissions, don't know all the details but its a software problem & SCT has things labeled wrong from what I understand, one guy that had this problem previously sent his pcm to Roush but had a different tune in it when it failed, he retuned to the original Roush tune & it passed

mebcop

MasterDebater
Established Member
You put the stock tune back on and they wont turn on? I'm guessing it's a cycle issue, and not the tune issue prn1972 mentioned. I'm very interested in finding out if VMP knows the "trick" that prn's tuner figured out... I will need an inspection in a few months.

prn1972

Established Member
I bet its the software, its always the same to monitors that will not reset, heaters & o2s, I doubt vmp knows the fix, I had his tune & it failed, he sent me a stock Roush tune to fix the problem & it failed too, Funny thing is all the cars I have seen with this problem have TVS blowers & vmp tunes, I know its not vmps tune its SCT software, I was wondering what mods the OP had on his car, doesn't say in his sig

Tyler72

Established Member
You put the stock tune back on and they wont turn on? I'm guessing it's a cycle issue, and not the tune issue prn1972 mentioned. I'm very interested in finding out if VMP knows the "trick" that prn's tuner figured out... I will need an inspection in a few months.

VMP tunes will not pass... At least here in TN they don't. That's what was in prn's car when it wouldn't pass.

war21789

Established Member
The stock tune is definitely reloaded. I'm thinking about going to the dealership and having them reflash the stock tune just in case the stock tune got screwed up somehow with the tuner.

mhyjek

Established Member
The stock tune is definitely reloaded. I'm thinking about going to the dealership and having them reflash the stock tune just in case the stock tune got screwed up somehow with the tuner.

Did you save the stock tune to your laptop? I did this before I upload my 1st tune, I would reload that to sct and see if it helps? If not call sct and wait forever but they will get fixed...

prn1972

Established Member
Prn, he's on the stock tune... how could it be the tune?
I'm not a tuner I dont know, could the SCT tuner change things when its flashed back in the pcm? I just know what I was told, SCT software is messed up when it comes to passing emissions
I tried a stock Roush tune with everything on that should have passed but it didnt

Last edited:

war21789

Established Member
It had an offload x and a jlt intake with a Lund tune. now the only thing not stock is the back half of the x pipe and the kooks axle back. I'm kind of wondering if the sct software might have screwed up the factory tune.

Nuar

Established Member
Hmm nevermind, couldnt hurt I suppose.
Keep alive memory, some parameters stay in the computer even after flashing.
I was told to do a KAM reset when i switched tunners.
It can be done with the sct handheld if it was updated fairly recently.
After doing a reset the car will throw a check engine light that needs to be cleared with the handheld.

Users who are viewing this thread