Wood burning fireplace mystery

NIXDSG

Established Member
I'm burning what I think is elm, cut and split by me from a tree in my back yard. Stringy wood when it's split.. Just solid wood, no bark or oddities in the logs. I'm finding this stuff in my stove in the morning. Pieces of a larger "sheet" buried in the Ash. What. Is it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220219-090521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220219-090521_Gallery.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 197

NIXDSG

Established Member
Oh, the piece on the right I rinsed off in the sink. Didn't dissolve or fall apart. It's solid, brittle, I can break it easily n my hand but reasonably structured/stiff.

NIXDSG

Established Member
I get that, but no. Solid pieces of wood, been burning it for weeks and found nothing odd about the logs. I cut down the tree and split it, never found a wire, nail, ....

NIXDSG

Established Member
For reference, this is the wood I'm burning. No pellets. No bark, no anomalies.

Also, it's not a dickfer. I'm starting to think the mystery item in my other thread IS a dickfer, but not this one.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220219-103120_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220219-103120_Gallery.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 102

FJohnny

Established Member
I was going to guess that someone had put copper sulphate around the elm to limit problem root growth. The copper sulphate is sucked up by the roots and into the tree. Then, when burned, it melts and fuses because it is unburnable. Leaving the blue clinkers.

Then I looked more closely at the picture and realized that it is indeed a dickfer.

NIXDSG

Established Member
I see copper sulphate is used to kill trees and roots. The tree was 26" in diameter and died suddenly. The same summer it died I cut it down and processed it. While cutting it up, the bark would fall off and there were a lot of grubs under the bark.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is definitely a strange clump. You have to wonder if it's in any way related to whatever caused the tree to die (grubs?) and the bark to fall off. Weird stuff.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Looks like a quarter... worth $0.25

Seriously though,

Do you have kids? They could be putting something in the stove without your knowledge.

Last edited:

NIXDSG

Established Member
My 17 yo son is just as interested as me. He said "does the water turn green when you rinsed it"? I said idk, let's try!
Apparently copper sulphate is soluble, kids today. So, we put it is water b4 bed.
The water has a green tint this morning.

Oh, more of these clinkers this morning. The overall size was 5" diameter 1/2"thick, located right in front of where the air enters the chamber, same as always. Interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread