Worried about stripping out the head removing your plugs?

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
Then maybe what I did will help you out.

I ordered 8 new TR7's to go in my Cobra, and owning a Saleen, I already knew about the spark plug issues that Ford owners face when removing/changing plugs.

When I upgraded my Saleen to JDM's Stage 2, my car had minimal miles on it. Luckily, the plugs came right out.

The Cobra, however was a different story.

With 34,xxx on it and the last owner telling me he never changed the plugs :cuss: I knew it would be interesting.

So..I started with the first plug..sure enough..it wanted to barely move, and as I tried to SLOWLY work it, I could hear it grinding. It didn't want to come out, period.

Its 11 pm, no parts stores open..so I grab the only thing I have on the shelf and figure..what the hell..WD40 might work.

I took the can of WD-40, attached a long straw to it, and sprayed around the plug. I let it sit for an hour...VOILA! The plug came out like butter. No seizing, galling, nothing.

I sprayed the other 7 plugs the same way..waited an hour..and they came right out.

I have no doubt this will work for anyone else worried about changing their plugs.

:rockon:

SLEEPERSTATUS

Banned
changing plugs is easy on our cars some people just blow it out of porportion.......the biggest thing you got to remember is to do it when the engine is cold....changing plugs on a aluminum block can end up ugly if you try and do it when its way too hot

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
What about tightening them? Since most torque wrenches don't go below 20 lb-ft, and I'm not sure if I want to spend the money for a dial wrench...

mu22stang

Established Member
Well I figured most don't, but the last thing I want to do is strip them going in. Just curious about the thought process when installing them...e.g. "once I feel resistance, no more than a 1/4 turn," or something to that effect. Insert your inner-monologue if you will.

TRBO VNM

i do it by feel. this is what I do, but I would do what you feel comfortable with. if that means buying a torq wrench, then do it. that wrench can be used for many other bolts. but an inch-lb wrench. you can use it on all the intake bolts and intercooler bolts.

I tighten until it won't go anymore(minimal force while tightening, almost just finger tight) and then I usually go about a 1/4 turn or so.

just like bolts, when you put a bolt in, it will thread all the way and then not really go any further without force applied to it. that is what I am talking about with the spark plugs. then just a little more. I also use anti seize

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
i do it by feel. this is what I do, but I would do what you feel comfortable with. if that means buying a torq wrench, then do it. that wrench can be used for many other bolts. but an inch-lb wrench. you can use it on all the intake bolts and intercooler bolts.

I tighten until it won't go anymore(minimal force while tightening, almost just finger tight) and then I usually go about a 1/4 turn or so.

just like bolts, when you put a bolt in, it will thread all the way and then not really go any further without force applied to it. that is what I am talking about with the spark plugs. then just a little more. I also use anti seize

I agree with all the above posts...No torque wrench here...Nice and easy does it, but the stock plugs were pretty difficult to come out the 1st time...I have changed my plugs twice after that with no problems on the early run 03 heads...BTW, I don't use antiseize and have had 0 problems...I change/check my plugs every 8,000 miles...

mu22stang

Established Member
Thanks to the OP for the tip on plug removal. I'm at 35.6K and I'm changing my plugs this weekend and I'm pretty sure they're the stock plugs, so I'll probably spray them the night before with some WD-40 just to avoid any hassle. I appreciate all the help on the install as well, and sorry if my thread jack took this thread in basically the opposite direction.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Buy an inch pound torque wrench ,you wont be sorry. Cobra sparkplugs are about 140 inch pounds.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
Thanks to the OP for the tip on plug removal. I'm at 35.6K and I'm changing my plugs this weekend and I'm pretty sure they're the stock plugs, so I'll probably spray them the night before with some WD-40 just to avoid any hassle. I appreciate all the help on the install as well, and sorry if my thread jack took this thread in basically the opposite direction.

No problem!

I thought it might help someone, and it didn't matter to me if it helped 1 person or 100.

Post a follow up when you are done with your plugs..I'll be curious to know how it turns out.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
I need to do mine too so thanks for the info. On my last Mustang (like others said above) I always tightened mine finger tight and turned 1/4 turn with the ratchet and never had a problem.

04TorchedSVT

Established Member
Well on a 4valve it is really kinda hard to tight them by hand considering the plugs location. I changed mine this morning after i recievedmy tune from Rick at Amazon. My plugs had been changed before to TR6 NGK. Mine came out with zero problems. I just tighten them till they were tight with my ratchet and just torqued them a tad more and called it finished. I also noticed i had a shit ton of spark plug threads per cyclinder. That made me happy.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member

My stockers came out at 35.6 miles too, lol...that's when I got pullied...wow...

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Well on a 4valve it is really kinda hard to tight them by hand considering the plugs location. I changed mine this morning after i recievedmy tune from Rick at Amazon. My plugs had been changed before to TR6 NGK. Mine came out with zero problems. I just tighten them till they were tight with my ratchet and just torqued them a tad more and called it finished. I also noticed i had a shit ton of spark plug threads per cyclinder. That made me happy.

I think they meant finger tight with the ratchet extension. I would be careful how much WD-40 you spray down there for fear of having the threads stay saturated after the new plugs go in. Wouldn't want one to spin back out!! Good idea tho.....

DaveMan

COBRA COMMANDER
Established Member
Mine's an 03 10th anniversary and they came out fine and man there was a lot of threads in there. Maybe the 10ths have the revised heads?

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I think they meant finger tight with the ratchet extension. I would be careful how much WD-40 you spray down there for fear of having the threads stay saturated after the new plugs go in. Wouldn't want one to spin back out!! Good idea tho.....

This is one of the reasons I don't use anti-seize...

Users who are viewing this thread