Worth getting the Predator with just CAI and Exhaust?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Ok, I finally got the Predator Performance Tune on this morning and it's definitely noticeable. There seems to be a bit more power all through the rev range. Unfortunately, I didn't get to go WOT since the speed limits are unrealistically low around here and don't exceed 45 mph, even on the highways. :(

The car seems more responsive and runs better overall. It did stall once already though. I had just driven about 10 miles, shut down for about 15 minutes, started back up, and it stalled at the end of my street. I hope this is not a trend and it just needs to "relearn" and settle down. Although, it does seem to idle a little lower than it used to. I might bump the idle back up a bit if stalling becomes a problem.

Performing the tune upload is kind of a scary process IMO. One false move and you're toast. :uh oh:

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Originally posted by KNGOBRA
Are you guys for real that can say they actually feel an 8hp gain.... :lol:

at Peak??? maybe not, but typically you WILL feel the increase throughout the low to mid band. Peak power isnt EVERYTHING, getting to peak power can be half (if not more than half) the fun :beer:

ghostrydyr

Established Member
Derek

Did you use the Cali performance tune or the regular performance tune? I tried both and it felt weaker that the stock Ford tune:shrug:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Chucko
Everyone needs to keep in mind that there are 2 different "performance tunes" available in the current Cobra Predator. One is for 91 octane fuel and has some timing pulled from it to prevent detonation. If you run this 91 octane tune you will probably lose a few peak HP but will gain HP and TQ in the midrange where you spend more of your driving time anyway.

If you run the regular performance tune, it is set up for a CAI and Catback and 93 octane pump gas. With this tune and a CAI and catback you should dyno somewhere around 420rwhp and 400tq (SAE on a Dynojet) and notice substantial improvements in driveability and power thruout the RPM range.

I run a Magnaflow CB and K&N FIPK and the 93 octane performance tune on my 03 Cobra Coupe that has the Ford stall fix flash. I'm very happy with this combo. Plenty of power without any pulley related warranty concerns. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who's considering this level of modifications.

:thumbsup: Good info. Going to order soon if rwtd would ever get them in stock...

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
Re: Derek

Originally posted by ghostrydyr
Did you use the Cali performance tune or the regular performance tune? I tried both and it felt weaker that the stock Ford tune:shrug:

You should dyno. Mine seemed to pull even stronger after a few weeks. I will be doing my first dyno on the 91 predator tune next weekend. I expect to see an increase in torque and hopefully some improved AF.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by MystiChrome Coupe
So you finally got ahold of him?

No. James is still no were to be found onhttp://www.diablosporttuning.com/forums/ but I sent diablosport my ?'s and they answered in about a day and they claim I can gain about 20-35 with cai&Catback and 60 HP with a pullie and a good tune :)(but if this is true who really knows). RWTD is about to lose a sale if they don't get their act together. Maybe I should just try calling them but on their site it just says for sales.

Last edited:

CGoeschel

Established Member
So living in Las Vegas with crap 91 octane, can I get away with the regular (93 octane) performance tune or do i have to run the 91 octane tune. I have 100 octane available to add to the 91, but will that bump the octane rating up by mixing it or am I just wasting money? How many gallons of 100 would I have to mix with the 91 to get a good ratio?

terrydf

Established Member
I was asking my self the same questions. I installed the predator yesterday, results in my sig. If you look beyond increases to top numbers, there was a significant increase to HP and Tq all the way through the RPM band... It's worth it, do it.

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
Just did my dyno yesterday. The only change from my jan run is i put in a K&N Fipk instead of a drop in k&n and i added the post flash 91 octane perf tune predator. very happy with the results. AFR looks a lot better. 411 RWHP up from 387. I would say the predator is worth a shot. Looking to up my torque numbers but that may require the pulley.

Dyno 6-19-04
RWHP=411.5 TQ=383.6

Last edited:

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Ordering the predator this week for a basic tune to fix my fueling problems and how it dips off at about 6-7 RPMs.... Ordering from RWTD and have talked to James many times now but i'll let everyone know were i'm at when I make it up to the dyno...

Last edited:

ghostrydyr

Established Member
with the older r6 predator version

I loaded the performance tune (not the 91 perf tune) and ran the best of 12.6 @ 113mph on a bad 2.19 60ft. My previous best mph with only a cia and a catback was only 110. This is on crappy 91 octane Cali gas. So I say yes it is a good mod.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
I just had the Predator w/ the tune from James @ RWTD put in the cobra on Tuesday. Dynoed the car Saturday. No before #'s,
but my #'s on Saturday were 414rwhp, 378rwtq. I thought at first
the torque was a little low, but after reading this thread it seems
to be around everyone else's with the same mods.

03Cobra_Poison

Established Member
Hey ghostrydyr,

Do you keep the perf tune all the time or just for the race?
I was curious to try the non-91 oct tune to see if i got any pinging. but im a bit chicken.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Cobra_Poison
Hey DR. WU 2000,

how did your AFR look?
A/F looked good. I am trying to pull the dyno sheet off the DynoJet
website and will attempt to post it. A/F was even and constant all the way across. The guy said it was very safe. Could moast likley
pull more power by leaning it out a little but am not going to be doing that.:nono: By the way, my tune is for 93 octane. James also turned off that annoying shift arrow and disabled traction control.:beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread