Worth getting the Predator with just CAI and Exhaust?

Black306

Established Member
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
Black306 you lost RWHP with the predator?:eek:

nod.gif

I received a custom tune from Shawn Ellis. I haven't taken it to the dyno yet, but the SOTP meter is telling me that I have at least gained the 8rwhp back. If its more than that, it doesn't feel like much more.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by Black306
You read it right the first time. 004 is a run with the stock Ford programming. 005 is the performance tune from the Predator. And yes, I lost power.

I wasn't paying attention to the boost gauge. But from I've seen driving around, it didnt change much (Still ~8psi).

Now I don't feel dumb. I guess I did read it right. I wonder if i'll lose power I heard of Shawn Ellis did'nt he blow someones engine or did the owner not know what he was doing? So what should I do everyone go for the predator or Gords He???:shrug: And were should I buy the predator??

Last edited:

Black306

Established Member
Originally posted by LCCOBRA
ok nm I see it's 2 separate tunes from the predator. I thought you did a before the predator(stock Tune) and used the predator and lost power vs stock car tune. Both of those tunes are included with the predator? BTW what kind of boost did you see with the steeda on the dyno?
You read it right the first time. 004 is a run with the stock Ford programming. 005 is the performance tune from the Predator. And yes, I lost power.

I wasn't paying attention to the boost gauge. But from I've seen driving around, it didnt change much (Still ~8psi).

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I ordered my Predator from RPM Outlet for $375. I ordered it yesterday and it just arrived today!

I didn't even request overnight shipping. Very nice! :thumbsup:

King03Cobra

Established Member
yeah me too....I have a CAI and CB, and I called RPMoutlet and they said that with the non pulley tune it wouldn't be that much of a noticable difference

Boy thats a bunch of crap, you will definitely notice a difference with only a CAI & CB and the performance tune installed.

Black306

Established Member
Originally posted by King03Cobra
Boy thats a bunch of crap, you will definitely notice a difference with only a CAI & CB and the performance tune installed.
See my dyno graph and notice the 8rwhp loss with the performance tune. So I don't think their statement of not making a big difference is crap.

LCCOBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by King03Cobra

I'm about to do that because I can't get a-hold of anyone at rwtd worth sh!t and it cost less to go with rpm... But I want the free tuneing that is offered by James at RWTD...Not going to order for a while though jusat bought the Gords unit...

KNGOBRA

Banned
nod.gif

but the SOTP meter is telling me that I have at least gained the 8rwhp back. If its more than that, it doesn't feel like much more.

Are you guys for real that can say they actually feel an 8hp gain.... :lol:

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
That is very strange how you lost HP up top, but gained in the low to mid range. It has me wondering....

Maybe it would help if you pulled fuel in the upper range, or perhaps advanced the timing?

:shrug:

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Ok just got back from the dyno today, mods on this car were :
Bassani BX X-pipe no catts
Bassani BX CattBack
Steeda CAI

first 3 pulls were all right at the 420rwhp range
then installed pred perf tune
next 3 pulls were 434, 437, 435rwhp
A/F started at 12.4 and went to 11.8 at the top (with some minor "TWEAKING" of the fuel and timing setings. Yeah, I would say the Pred is a good mod even without a pulley.
Wayne

Black306

Established Member
Originally posted by NyteByte
That is very strange how you lost HP up top, but gained in the low to mid range. It has me wondering....

Maybe it would help if you pulled fuel in the upper range, or perhaps advanced the timing?

:shrug:
That's what I'm assuming Shawn Ellis did with the custom tune he made for me. :-D

1 BLOWN V8

Established Member
I would say yes but you dont need it but if you do also get a tune to get the max out of it. If you do add a T/B then you will need it for sure.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Everyone needs to keep in mind that there are 2 different "performance tunes" available in the current Cobra Predator. One is for 91 octane fuel and has some timing pulled from it to prevent detonation. If you run this 91 octane tune you will probably lose a few peak HP but will gain HP and TQ in the midrange where you spend more of your driving time anyway.

If you run the regular performance tune, it is set up for a CAI and Catback and 93 octane pump gas. With this tune and a CAI and catback you should dyno somewhere around 420rwhp and 400tq (SAE on a Dynojet) and notice substantial improvements in driveability and power thruout the RPM range.

I run a Magnaflow CB and K&N FIPK and the 93 octane performance tune on my 03 Cobra Coupe that has the Ford stall fix flash. I'm very happy with this combo. Plenty of power without any pulley related warranty concerns. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who's considering this level of modifications.

Dave99GT

Go Packers!
Established Member
Originally posted by Chucko
Everyone needs to keep in mind that there are 2 different "performance tunes" available in the current Cobra Predator. One is for 91 octane fuel and has some timing pulled from it to prevent detonation. If you run this 91 octane tune you will probably lose a few peak HP but will gain HP and TQ in the midrange where you spend more of your driving time anyway.

If you run the regular performance tune, it is set up for a CAI and Catback and 93 octane pump gas. With this tune and a CAI and catback you should dyno somewhere around 420rwhp and 400tq (SAE on a Dynojet) and notice substantial improvements in driveability and power thruout the RPM range.

I run a Magnaflow CB and K&N FIPK and the 93 octane performance tune on my 03 Cobra Coupe that has the Ford stall fix flash. I'm very happy with this combo. Plenty of power without any pulley related warranty concerns. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who's considering this level of modifications.

I have the exact same mods, do you have numbers before installing the predator tune?

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Originally posted by Dave99GT
I have the exact same mods, do you have numbers before installing the predator tune?

I dyno'd at 391rwhp/385rwtq with just the Magnaflow CB and drop in K&N. Earlier that day another 03 dyno'd at 405/386 with a K&N FIPK and a Bassani CB. I've heard of several others with CAI, CB and 93 octane Performance tune that have dyno'd right at the 420/400 number (SAE on a Dynojet).

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5444&highlight=predator+performance+tune

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59469&highlight=predator

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60835&highlight=predator

I plan on another trip to the dyno in a week or so. I'll post my numbers then.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
That's what I'm assuming Shawn Ellis did with the custom tune he made for me. :-D

Hmm. The A/F still drops off the graph so you're still runing very rich. I'm no expert, but it might be worth trying to pull a little more fuel in the upper RPM range.

Users who are viewing this thread