worthwhile to dip into savings for beer/wine

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I would imagine you will have a pretty good increase in insurance premiums if you add a liquor license. Something to keep in mind as well.

Eveline52

There is so many variables with this. Competition, type of normal clientele, location, all will play a huge factor.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Well not having any experience in restaurant management other than watching Gordon Ramsey yell at people I would recommend that you need to be more worried about what the locals want rather than what you think you can get. Also find out what they think about your Bistro and ask about any bad experiences.

Scour the internet for reviews and comments and walk the streets and ask people who work and live near by.

By what I am reading you need to focus first on a competent wait staff. If they don't want to pay for parking, they don't want the job. Hire people who WANT to be there, bc they will provide a better experience to the customer, who we all know, is king in our industry. Service, service, service.

As you're owner and operator of a restaurant I have much respect of your opinion and I know my opinion isn't as valuable but I can't agree with this. The idea of hiring people that want to work at a Bistro or any other restaurant is a very steep road to drive. If I worked somewhere like a Bistro where I only worked 4-5 hours a day depending on business and made minimum wage you bet your ass I wouldn't stick around while having to pay a extra $8 just to park.

Keeping your employees happy is just as important as keeping your customers happy, I'm sure you know this and I'm not trying to preach or criticize you I'm just sharing my opinion.

It would be better try and hire people that are more local that do not require parking, with a legit 20% unemployment it can't be hard to find some locals. Also try to hire people that are family with employees that you already have, when I worked at a restaurant they did this and many car pooled even though we had free parking anyway. I'm sorry but if you piss off your wait staff you know who is going to suffer because of it? The customer and there goes your SERVICE, SERVICE AND SERVICE.

Last edited:

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
Well not having any experience in restaurant management other than watching Gordon Ramsey yell at people I would recommend that you need to be more worried about what the locals want rather than what you think you can get. Also find out what they think about your Bistro and ask about any bad experiences.

Scour the internet for reviews and comments and walk the streets and ask people who work and live near by.
Good Ideas

As a owner and operator of a restaurant I have much respect of your opinion and I know my opinion isn't as valuable but I can't agree with this. The idea of hiring people that want to work at a Bistro or any other restaurant is a very steep road to drive. If I worked somewhere like a Bistro where I only worked 4-5 hours a day depending on business and made minimum wage you bet your ass I wouldn't stick around while having to pay a extra $8 just to park.

While I understand the reasoning behind this argument, if someone is in real need of a job and are motivated to work, 7-8 bucks is a small price to pay as an entrance fee as a server who can make pretty good money in tips. 4-5 hours on a decent night is enough to make $70-$80-$100

Keeping your employees happy is just as important as keeping your customers happy, I'm sure you know this and I'm not trying to preach or criticize you I'm just sharing my opinion.

True that a happy employee = a happy boss. But, as the boss, your happiness is the #1 priority.

If an employee comes to work and is upset for a work related reason, it is my job to try and mediate and see if we can come to a conclusion. If not, thanks for your service and good luck in your future job. If someone is working for me, they work the way I want them to, or not at all. Its a tough way to run a business, but the right way. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to make money. The more money the restaurant makes, the more money the staff makes.

If an employee comes to work upset about a non work related issue its the boss' job to determine whether they are fit to be around customers. One of my number one rules is to not bring your problems to work. If you feel unfit to work and smile and serve and take crap from customers, please leave.

It would be better try and hire people that are more local that do not require parking, with a legit 20% unemployment it can't be hard to find some locals.

These days there are PLENTY of good people who NEED work. You can find good help.

Also try to hire people that are family with employees that you already have, when I worked at a restaurant they did this and many car pooled even though we had free parking anyway. I'm sorry but if you piss off your wait staff you know who is going to suffer because of it? The customer and there goes your SERVICE, SERVICE AND SERVICE.

Have to disagree about hiring family, only because I have done it. Families stick up for one another, its natural. So, if a family member makes a mistake, I now have 2 or 3 people arguing with me about it. If one quits, they usually all go. If they all carpool that means they all work the same hours. What If I want someone to come at 11am, then another at 3, then one at 6? Ive dealt with these problems before, only reason I bring this up. It sounds good in theory, but doesnt work well when making a schedule.

FordGTGuy

Established Member
Have to disagree about hiring family, only because I have done it. Families stick up for one another, its natural. So, if a family member makes a mistake, I now have 2 or 3 people arguing with me about it. If one quits, they usually all go. If they all carpool that means they all work the same hours. What If I want someone to come at 11am, then another at 3, then one at 6? Ive dealt with these problems before, only reason I bring this up. It sounds good in theory, but doesnt work well when making a schedule.

Thanks for your reply, you seem very level headed and experienced in this and I'm happy to see someone like you give this guy some advice.

I completely agree on the business is business, it seems most of my generation is all about handouts anymore and completely anti capitalism. A business can't sustain itself on unicorn farts and good relationships and many people fault businesses for saying that they are in it for the money, of course they are in it for the money it's a business for crying out loud.

I still think that $8 a day parking is a bit steep for a daily expense but I guess it really depends on the hours and pay that can offset it on a shift.

Last edited:

BigSweezey

<insert witty title here>
Established Member
From a customer stand point. And it probably makes me sound like I have a drinking problem, but I don't. I might do lunch at a place that doesn't serve beer....but it's highly unlikely I'd be doing dinner. Especially on fri/sat night.

Users who are viewing this thread