WOT Box guys

X3FBrian

Established Member
I hate shifting into a wall. I need some personal reviews. How hard was the install? What delay do you have it set to?

JrSVT

Established Member
I have the WOTbox and it is fairly easy to install. The instructions are very straight forward with pictures and everything. I would say if you can install a stereo and aftermarket speakers you can install the WOTbox.

I personally have the delay for the no lift shift feature at it's default setting. I haven't really messed with it too much but I know you can adjust it slower or faster depending on your shifting capabilities. I haven't raced at the drag strip much with the WOTbox installed but if I did I would try to tweak it to best fit my driving style.

I also have the Nitrous wiring that controls what rpm the Nitrous comes on and shuts off at....I really like that feature and it was much cheaper than a window switch.

Jr.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I have the WOTbox and it is fairly easy to install. The instructions are very straight forward with pictures and everything. I would say if you can install a stereo and aftermarket speakers you can install the WOTbox.

I personally have the delay for the no lift shift feature at it's default setting. I haven't really messed with it too much but I know you can adjust it slower or faster depending on your shifting capabilities. I haven't raced at the drag strip much with the WOTbox installed but if I did I would try to tweak it to best fit my driving style.

I also have the Nitrous wiring that controls what rpm the Nitrous comes on and shuts off at....I really like that feature and it was much cheaper than a window switch.

Jr.

x2. I'm using the same thing, also on it's default setting. When I tried dialing in the shift length I could never get it to feel right. I think most of that is me, sometimes I can shift fast sometimes I just cant, so if someones more consistent I'm sure they could dial it in. I'm also using the nitrous controller, works flawlessly and much easier/cheaper than any other window/wot switch.

FiveOhJoe

Established Member
I bought one and plan on installing it this spring. My t56 is worn pretty bad so I could never get it into gear, especially 3rd at high rpm. Rebuilding my t56 at the same time. It's supposed to protect the trans a lot

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Tempting to buy this controller just for the nitrous capabilities. I like the feature where it disarms the nitrous if the clutch is engaged. Besides this controller wonder if any modules can do the same.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
I had one and could never get used to it, it just felt odd to me to leave it to the wood while pushing the clutch in. It worked great when I put my mind to it and used it though haha. I will say it is super touchy on the clutch and is another reason why I got rid of mine. When racing or doing pulls I rest my foot lightly on the clutch, you cant do that with the WOT box due to how the box is wired or else it will cut ignition cause it thinks you are pushing the clutch in to shift.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I have used one for several years.
It works well for the 2 step and WOT shifting.
Not very fond of the back fires while shifting.
Had them down to 100ms.
People at the track thought they were involved in a drive by.
It does look cool at night though.
Install is not hard at all.
I always remove the seat(s) if I have to work under the dash.
Not a contortionist!!!

N20JUNKY

Established Member
Has anyone had any problems with the car acting funny after they installed the wot box? We had someone around here put one on and they couldn't get it tuned, pulled the wot box off and it tuned right in.

JustaGT5408

Established Member
Has anyone had any problems with the car acting funny after they installed the wot box? We had someone around here put one on and they couldn't get it tuned, pulled the wot box off and it tuned right in.

Only problem that I had was the car would stall sometimes. When you splice up the kit, the WOT box has a feature on it that will kill the engine if the box looses power. I had a few times where I would be driving down the road and all of a sudden the car would die. I tried re-wiring it and the issue still remained (not sure if faulty unit or not) so eventually I took out the box, returned the wiring to 'stock' and haven't had an issue since.

b_dike

Established Member
I've had mine for a year now with no issues. It takes a minute, but eventually you'll get used to not lifting. Then it becomes, that you never want to lift. It's so addicting... I love it.

watman02

Established Member
I just picked 2 of them up for both my cars my t56 in my camaro is real hard to get into 3rd undr under power so im going to install this and see if it helps then rebuild the trans. I am alittle worried about holding the pedal down during shifts I have never had much luck in power shifting before but im pretty excited to try it.

JrSVT

Established Member
You'll love it once you get it in and the first romp through the gears. Power shifting (no lift shifting) now is like going through the gears with the engine off, clutch in and shifting through the gears....thats the only comparison that I have about how well the WOTbox works.

Jr.

ctgreddy

Established Member
there's just 6 wires, hardest part of the install is getting 2 of the wires from the kickpanel area and into the engine compartment. other than that there's 1 wire by the clutch pedal and 3 in the passenger kick panel. Here's a link to their instructions page just click on on the 96-04 cobra link.

Instructions - N2MB Racing

1s9v9t7

Demand It All
Established Member
^^ What he said. Just six wires. The two wires go to the engine bay, not bad. Just find a path from the box (mines in the glove box) to the back left of the engine bay. My hardest wire was the clutch wire. Couldn't get the seat removed, so I suffered, threw a few tools, then just used a quick splice. <-- took two minutes. All together, maybe 1 1/2 hours and that was soldering all the wires... except the one.

Its fun, and crazy how much faster the shifts are. And the two step, just for showing off! But yes, you have to alter your driving, slightly. I drive with my foot slightly on the clutch, and if you stomp on the gas like that, it confusses the box, and tries to 2-step. But trust me, when you're running a car, and you see how much he drops back from shifting and you just pull. Its so awesome.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I will say it is super touchy on the clutch and is another reason why I got rid of mine. When racing or doing pulls I rest my foot lightly on the clutch, you cant do that with the WOT box due to how the box is wired or else it will cut ignition cause it thinks you are pushing the clutch in to shift.

I used to have this problem too but was able to correct it in the settings. The problem is the default TPS voltage it has for WOT is to low. It's like 3.5 volts or something. So just like you I'd get on the car and in anticipation of shifting my foot would start to press on the clutch and it would cut the ignition. Bugged the heck out of me. Then I realized if I bumped that TPS voltage up in its settings to something like 4.2 or there about now on a partial "almost" WOT when you get your foot on the clutch ready to shift it no longer does that.
However when you're on a real WOT you'll find you never reset the foot on the clutch the same as partial throttles. So problem solved.

Only problem that I had was the car would stall sometimes. When you splice up the kit, the WOT box has a feature on it that will kill the engine if the box looses power. I had a few times where I would be driving down the road and all of a sudden the car would die. I tried re-wiring it and the issue still remained (not sure if faulty unit or not) so eventually I took out the box, returned the wiring to 'stock' and haven't had an issue since.

Something doesn't sound right there. There is no such feature. In fact the WOT box doesn't even have a separate +12 volt source to power it up. It uses the main ignition power wire that it cuts to power itself so if it looses power well then either someone turned off the key or there's a bad connection.

Personally I love the nitrous options it comes with. Built in window switch, WOT switch as well as cutting spray if the clutch is depressed and someone's trying to do a WOT nitrous spray in neutral lol.

Users who are viewing this thread