would this be legal in america?

Calebp

Established Member
Here's a video of a psycho with a knife and a hatchet trying to swing at a K-9 unit in Sweden. The dog knocks him down and an officer rushes up and gives him a full swing with the baton. You can actually hear the crack of the baton colliding with his face. While he deserved that, I'm curious as to whether or not it would be considered illegal in America for an officer to hit someone in the head or face with his baton.

EDIT: This website could potentially have some NWS material/banners on it. The video, however, is work-safe.

http://www.fugly.com/videos/5690/Swedish-police-K9-apprehend-maniac-armed-with-knife-and-axe.html

Oh, and while I'm asking questions, are police officers allowed to smoke on duty? I have never seen an officer smoke before.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I watched the video five times and I cant tell where he hit him. The suspects left arm was up and that is a good strike area. If he was aiming for the radial and missed and hit him in the head that is acceptable here. In the U.S. you can not intentionally strike a perp in a vital organ area.

Some depts/agencies do allow officer to smoke on duty.

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
In the U.S. you can not intentionally strike a perp in a vital organ area.

Generally this is true, but there are always exceptions. You just have to judge every case on an individual basis. IF the suspect posed a threat to an officer or civilian and deadly force would be considered reasonable and prudent, a baton strike to the head or vital organ would be allowed, at least in my Dept., as long as it can be justified. IE: An assault in progress where the the victims life is is in grave danger and due to proximity, a firearm isn't able to be used, a baton strike to the head may be justified.

I could not tell where the strike landed either. In that situation, the officer may have been attempting a body shot, or the arm with the weapon, but since the suspect was moving around so much, the strike could land in an area other than the intended target. If it did land on his head due to his rapid movement, this would still be acceptable. As long as the head was not the intended target. There are always thousands of variables.

Last edited:

Bullitt995

Will race for food
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
I watched the video five times and I cant tell where he hit him. The suspects left arm was up and that is a good strike area. If he was aiming for the radial and missed and hit him in the head that is acceptable here. In the U.S. you can not intentionally strike a perp in a vital organ area.

Some depts/agencies do allow officer to smoke on duty.

I wouldn't consider the brain a vital organ to an idiot. :thumbsup:

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
Thier are no times on it, but after several trys, I paused it right as the baton contacted his head. A very clean shot. His arm went up as part of the reaction, at the time he was struck, his arm was cought up in the dog.

But deadly force in that situation I'd have to say, the dude had a knife, a axe, and he was swinging it at a officer. What do you think? (The K9 is considered LEO right? I know they are for PMO here.)

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I'd say he is the owner of a severe headache. Man, that had to hurt. Oh well, he asked for it. All he had to do is drop the weapon.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
harry gilbert said:
Is the head considered a vital organ?

For some people the head and its contents are vital organs. For others the jury is still out :banana:

It is all about intent. If you are using a baton as a deadly weapon you must have some very good articulable reasons for that. A baton is not classified as a deadly weapon, although if used in a certain manner it can be. Just as a radio can be a deadly weapon if used in a certain manner.

The head is not a striking area for the baton when used as a "hard weapon".

Users who are viewing this thread