Would title effect resale

1stanglover

Ready to see tail lights?
Established Member
I found a cobra I like that has a rebuilt title. Has been fixed professionally by ford and is clean with low miles. If I buy it I hope to keep it for a while but you never know with this economy. My question is would selling this car is the future be a challenge or if its been repaired properly shouldnt be an issue?
Thanks

Bruha

Thats what I thought
Established Member
yes... greatly!! What are you spending on it, if you don't mind me asking.

Porter68

Established Member
Yes. Salvage and Rebuilt titles devalue a car anywhere from 20-50% of the normal, fair market value of car with clear title.

Ironhand

Banned
Yes. Salvage and Rebuilt titles devalue a car anywhere from 20-50% of the normal, fair market value of car with clear title.

Its more then that. Basically take the valve of the car in "Poor" condition then cut that number in half. That is how I was told most dealerships do it.

1stanglover

Established Member
wow thanks for the advice guys. its just my dream build. fully built turbo cobra. built trans , motor, everything. Everything is new in the car and its dont right. But it sounds like ill never get my money back if i need to sell it.

Flad

Wanting
Established Member
wow thanks for the advice guys. its just my dream build. fully built turbo cobra. built trans , motor, everything. Everything is new in the car and its dont right. But it sounds like ill never get my money back if i need to sell it.

It really depends on how much your paying for it ?.
for instance if it's a nice as you say, 10 to 13k I think would be fair

1hot281

Established Member

Even if it was clean title, you almost never get your money back on a heavily modded car when it's time to sell...

but yeah on a salvaged or rebuilt title, it'll be extra hard...

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
NO it will not effect the resale of the car. It WILL affect the resale of the car however

cbr repsol

Established Member
In the end it just depends how much someone will give u for it..but it wo.t be a premium price. Salvage cars complete usually go fo 10 to 12k . Now take the same car no salvage and your In the 18 to 22k range depending on mileage and condition.

1stanglover

Established Member
Thanks again guys. guy asking for a bit over 20k. It was completely fixed professional 5 years ago. Went through inspection and got the reconstructed title so is no longer salvage. it only has like 22k miles and probably has 50k in it, everything imaginable has been done to it.

red9450

Established Member
sounds like you are set on buying it regardless, and just came here hoping to get good news. If you think its a good deal, and you will enjoy it, buy it. it's a toy, not an investment.

1stanglover

Established Member
Was very set on buying it, but now may just settle for something with a lot less power and mods with a clean history/ title. Yea it is a toy, but after a year or two everyone wants a new toy and although i know money is always lost, want to know I have something that will have some value when its time to go to the next toy.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Was very set on buying it, but now may just settle for something with a lot less power and mods with a clean history/ title. Yea it is a toy, but after a year or two everyone wants a new toy and although i know money is always lost, want to know I have something that will have some value when its time to go to the next toy.

it doesn't matter. whatever you get, once you start modding it you will never get your mod money out of it. so if you spend 20k on mods you might actually get 6 of it back just be prepared

black 10th vert

Established Member
I have to say that if any car is worth modding that heavily, then a salvage titled one is best! They are perfect for all out race cars, drag cars, or hot rods, since you usually devalue cars with heavy modding anyway, so it is probably best to start with a platform that has already been fully depreciated. What happens in this case is that it is actually a good deal for the buyer since they are essentially paying for the mods on the car (usually even less than that), and getting the car for free. OP if you buy the car, just know that you are not buying it for any kind of return investment, you will be buying it because YOU want it, and like it for what it is. You haven't posted a price yet, though, so that is the biggest piece of information that is needed if you really want accurate advice here...

Users who are viewing this thread