Would you buy a used Tesla Model S?

RDLightning01

Young Svt Poster
Established Member
Debating on stretching the budget and buying a Tesla Model S new or used. I drive maybe at most 30-40 miles a week.
Lot of people think its crazy to spend that on a car.
Would like to hear peoples thoughts on pro's and con's of the car.
Pro's i see.
-AWD
-no oil changes
-no gas obviously
-Instant heat in colder months
-The tech keeps getting better
-Basically a maintenance free car
-EV incentives
Cons
-Expensive
-Range

kaz109

Established Member
Why wouldn't you buy used? Would you buy any other car used?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wasn't big into them until I got to spend some time in an 85D (non-P model).

I could definitely see myself buying one in a 5 years or so. The way they tack on speed is ridiculous, even with 5 people in the car I was very impressed.

FocusSTGuy

Established Member
I have two buddies with them (one a P85D) and one a base model. I have driven both. They are great cars, great for tech nerds like me, the P85D is very fast. However after all of that, and if you are buying new, spending close to 100k on it... I just feel there are a LOT better options on the market. And the last stickler.... it has no soul :( I just cannot get over not having the sound/feel of a gasoline engine.

TexasPoke

Established Member
Do it. I did it two weeks ago. Bought a slightly used Tesla P85D. Came from my (obviously gas) Infiniti FX50. Only owned it for two weeks, but I will give you what pros/cons I can.

Pros:

-It's stupid fast. Like absurdly fast. I took a gigantic poop on a Dodge Charger Hellcat 2 days after I got it. We ran from like 40-130 (On my speedo) and he was about a car back.

-Obviously no gas is awesome...however, you'll see it in the negative's as well. It's awesome to not have to worry about gas stations as I cruise by like a rocket ship...

-Despite it's pedestrian looks, it's still an attention grabber. I have gotten tons of thumbs-ups and comments and multiple revs by mere mortals like Cobras and others ;) (Although I dont know what they expect me to do when they rev?)

- Auto-Updates. The future. I'm techy, I work in app stuff and so I love the tech side of Tesla. I woke up a few days ago to an update from Tesla that happened overnight and it was ready to be launched as soon as I wanted to hit the screen. Pretty amazing stuff not found anywhere else.

-Tesla Service.... I was screwing around with the settings and apparently clicked a few buttons that "alerted" Tesla. Literally three minutes later, I had a call from a Tesla support rep who stated that there was something triggered on the car and it may need servicing. "Would I like a repair tech to come out and take a look in my driveway tomorrow morning?" Uh wut? Is this a scam. Nope. The car is in constant communication with Tesla. And Tesla will alert you before you even know that there is an issue with your car. Nuts.

Cons:

- The range is bullshit. Especially if you drive like a normal meat-eating American. 253 is more like 195 from what I have used. Although, I drove it like I stole it the past week and a half so I am not helping. But you won't get the range Tesla says. No one does apparently.

-Interior is severely lacking for a 100k + car. Severely. It's fine and dandy but it is absurdly bare bones (I know why, just dont like it), but the part that gets me is...it's a decent sized vehicle and they wasted a crap ton of space on these things to make them look chic. (Buy an Evannex for the center console. You wont regret it. Best purchase I made). But, my god, my two friends who are 6'2 and 6'1 were cramped back there. Super cramped. I was a bit disappointed with the interior overall.

- This isnt so much a negative as much as, you just have to be able and willing to change everything you thought about cars. No more thrilling V10 sound (I love the whoosh though now that I dislike driving gas at this point and its absurdly loud), no more gear shifts that are heard, just no more of those usual sounds. It's quiet minus the whoosh.

PM Me if you have more questions.

Thanks!

bglf83

Established Member
Do it. I did it two weeks ago. Bought a slightly used Tesla P85D. Came from my (obviously gas) Infiniti FX50. Only owned it for two weeks, but I will give you what pros/cons I can.

Pros:

-It's stupid fast. Like absurdly fast. I took a gigantic poop on a Dodge Charger Hellcat 2 days after I got it. We ran from like 40-130 (On my speedo) and he was about a car back.

-Obviously no gas is awesome...however, you'll see it in the negative's as well. It's awesome to not have to worry about gas stations as I cruise by like a rocket ship...

-Despite it's pedestrian looks, it's still an attention grabber. I have gotten tons of thumbs-ups and comments and multiple revs by mere mortals like Cobras and others ;) (Although I dont know what they expect me to do when they rev?)

- Auto-Updates. The future. I'm techy, I work in app stuff and so I love the tech side of Tesla. I woke up a few days ago to an update from Tesla that happened overnight and it was ready to be launched as soon as I wanted to hit the screen. Pretty amazing stuff not found anywhere else.

-Tesla Service.... I was screwing around with the settings and apparently clicked a few buttons that "alerted" Tesla. Literally three minutes later, I had a call from a Tesla support rep who stated that there was something triggered on the car and it may need servicing. "Would I like a repair tech to come out and take a look in my driveway tomorrow morning?" Uh wut? Is this a scam. Nope. The car is in constant communication with Tesla. And Tesla will alert you before you even know that there is an issue with your car. Nuts.

Cons:

- The range is bullshit. Especially if you drive like a normal meat-eating American. 253 is more like 195 from what I have used. Although, I drove it like I stole it the past week and a half so I am not helping. But you won't get the range Tesla says. No one does apparently.

-Interior is severely lacking for a 100k + car. Severely. It's fine and dandy but it is absurdly bare bones (I know why, just dont like it), but the part that gets me is...it's a decent sized vehicle and they wasted a crap ton of space on these things to make them look chic. (Buy an Evannex for the center console. You wont regret it. Best purchase I made). But, my god, my two friends who are 6'2 and 6'1 were cramped back there. Super cramped. I was a bit disappointed with the interior overall.

- This isnt so much a negative as much as, you just have to be able and willing to change everything you thought about cars. No more thrilling V10 sound (I love the whoosh though now that I dislike driving gas at this point and its absurdly loud), no more gear shifts that are heard, just no more of those usual sounds. It's quiet minus the whoosh.

PM Me if you have more questions.

Thanks!
Wow big turn off on the always watching company. I know you think instant service but what are they collecting the rest of the time?

kaz109

Established Member
How many years do the batteries last for? How much will it be to replace them?

From my research it is about 8k to replace. The longevity is dependent on the use just like a normal battery. It seems like most ppl are going to replace them after 10-12 years

nxhappy

Established Member
35k for a model 3 is going to be ****ing awesome, yall are smoking crack

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
I like them but in my eyes they are not practical for state to state driving to the range. Not to mention I've heard the crap interior reviews from many others. They are fast from a dead stop but lose on top end severely.

The styling is nice but these days I see so many Teslas it's not even funny. There are 3 in my area between 2 connection subdivisions. One is a tesla s, one SUV and I think a P85, not sure.

Now thinking about the price, well, 35K for a BASE model Tesla is expensive. With options of what most people want the price is higher and closer to 42-44K not including the thousand an in taxes you will pay. At the end of the day it will be a 50K car optioned out.

kaz109

Established Member
35k for a model 3 is going to be ****ing awesome, yall are smoking crack

It's will be closer to 45-48k as nobody will get the very bare bones base model. Not to mention they are all spoken for and won't be available for a couple more years but I do like them, just like the model S much more.

nxhappy

Established Member
I like them but in my eyes they are not practical for state to state driving to the range. Not to mention I've heard the crap interior reviews from many others. They are fast from a dead stop but lose on top end severely.

The styling is nice but these days I see so many Teslas it's not even funny. There are 3 in my area between 2 connection subdivisions. One is a tesla s, one SUV and I think a P85, not sure.

Now thinking about the price, well, 35K for a BASE model Tesla is expensive. With options of what most people want the price is higher and closer to 42-44K not including the thousand an in taxes you will pay. At the end of the day it will be a 50K car optioned out.

LOL what??? You can easily spend that on a Mustang, and it's still just a Mustang !!!

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
LOL what??? You can easily spend that on a Mustang, and it's still just a Mustang !!!

You certainly can. Electric cars depreciate faster than a gasoline car. Proven fact. Not to mention they do have a life span that warranties do not cover.

Users who are viewing this thread