Would you have given Jeter his 3,000th hit ball?

The 250k ball..

• Keep it.

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Give it back.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
The guy does what HE considers to be the right thing and everyone criticizes him and calls him an idiot. I commend him for what he did. What I DON'T commend is the IRS now wanting to tax the gifts he received. Hopefully common sense will prevail and this guy will get a special exception on the tax. If not, I would expect the Yankees to write out a check for the taxes (made out to the IRS). JMHO.

I wouldnt call him an idiot but I do think it was an emotional decision on his part. I honestly think he is going to regret giving it back eventually. He gave away a pretty big chunk of change. There are yankee fans who probably would've paid more (and afford to) than 250k for that ball. He's the first Yankee to ever do that if im not mistaken.

Last edited:

JDStud6

Established Member
Bingo, even if they do pay his taxes he will be taxed on that as well.

but it gets less and less each time, by a lot! So if the value is $60k now and he owes $14k, but someone gives him the $14k then his amount owed on that will be like $4k...which is much more manageable. So overall he will come out ahead and not pay a thing and make some on it. Topps is giving him his own baseball card. Not sure why exactly. It's a bit retarded if you ask me.

JD

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
but it gets less and less each time, by a lot! So if the value is $60k now and he owes $14k, but someone gives him the $14k then his amount owed on that will be like $4k...which is much more manageable. So overall he will come out ahead and not pay a thing and make some on it. Topps is giving him his own baseball card. Not sure why exactly. It's a bit retarded if you ask me.

JD

are you serious?? :??::dw::nonono:

whats next, Time "man of the year" for being the greatest humanitarian of 2011?? :rollseyes

Last edited:

Cobrasvt43

Muscle car whore
Established Member
ahhhh the selfish bastards of svtp

i wouldnt have demanded money.. but really? the selfish bastards of svtp.. have you seen what poor ol jeter gets paid to play? i think he can swallow a little bit of a pickle.

I would have expected in the ticket offering they gave him they would have at least guaranteed him a set of W.S. tickets .. heaven knows they will sure be back. . . at least make it a once in a lifetime experience (as that ball was for jeter)

konradr

Ford Mustang
Established Member
The guy does what HE considers to be the right thing and everyone criticizes him and calls him an idiot. I commend him for what he did. What I DON'T commend is the IRS now wanting to tax the gifts he received. Hopefully common sense will prevail and this guy will get a special exception on the tax. If not, I would expect the Yankees to write out a check for the taxes (made out to the IRS). JMHO.

Not exactly. By paying taxes of someone else's that is also taxable income. For example if I write the IRS a check for you 2010 tax liability, that is income to you, therefore taxable. Unless they can somehow classify the "tax money" as a gift, it will just pile on the problems for that kid.

He should have run out of the building and sold it to the mob for cash. That is not a taxable event.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Re-read my previous post. Nowhere do I state that Jeter owns the ball.

Because, as I've previously said, when the ball is worth nothing, no one cares about it. And, in accordance with my previous statements, if the guy whose money cut the check to buy the balls (probably the team owner) decided he wanted that Boston ball because the guy died over it, it's rightfully his.

WTF are you talking about?!?! The ball BELONGS TO WHOEVER CATCHES IT. :bash: Where have you been for the last 150yrs of organized baseball? :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread