WOW Has anyone counted all of the Problems reported just on this forum

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Originally posted by bassin247
we need to start a database so 03 cobra owners can submit their problems along with their dealer, vin, etc. by entering that info in to a template on a website.

I saw something similar for 01 cobras a while back.
Mike,
we could look into doing soemthing like this.......

-Zach

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
docs03,
I'm with ya. Mine does the same thing but mine smooths out if I keep the RPMs down for a day. Thats why I felt that my vibration was driver induced ( by a mis-shift ). It's real weird. I've owned an '87, '94, and an '01. All 5-speeds and never had this vibration while driving.

On a disappointing note add something new to the list: my instument lights died. Checked the fuse it's good. The knob makes the ODO and the radio dim and brighten so my instument cluster is toast. No more night-time driving for me until it's fixed.:cryying:

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
docs03 and SoCalBlk03 - my car does exactly what you two describe. I feel a vibration in the clutch as you push the pedal in and out. The vibration is worse, if you run the car hard. It will smooth out if you baby it. It will also vibrate noticeably at around 80 mph. I took it to a local dealer, and they said they found no problem with it. They suggested I go out with one of the techs on a test drive so I could point out the problem to them. They said they checked for any TSB's on the problem, but found none. :shrug:

mike69440

Established Member
Vibration has reduced!

With about 700 miles on my car , a 03 coupe, I have noticed that the rather nasty roughness and vibration at +80 mph I noticed at about 160 miles now has reduced and changed.

The gearbox has gotten smoother to shift.

The drivetrain noise and roughness, being too high a frequency to be a tire, even seeminly too high to be a driveshaft unbalance, has gotten less with miles. This is not gear wine, more like a mid freqency droning buzz.

When newer, the vibration was there constant and worsing with speed, becoming scary at 115 mph.

Now the vibration is only there at light throttle and coasting or in neutral.

The amplitude has lessened also. Weird?? any similiar situatios out there?

However, I seem to have bigger problems, the car is down in power since new, and I have been blown off by dealer.

I am going to get some track times. :??:

i8u

Established Member
Re: Vibration has reduced!

Originally posted by mike69440

I am going to get some track times. :??:

Don't go to the track...it depends or conditions/skill. No flames imtended
Get Dyno!Proof
Ford will say give it 5000 miles to fully break-in.
Drive it like you stole it.....
at 5001 miles get dyno.
Get new engine under warrenty or lemon law it!

mike69440

Established Member
Dyno in my future also.

5000 miles to fully break in? Maybe for that last 0.001% of the max. bhp. I have had considerable experience on engine dyno's where 20 minutes to break in a cam and 30 minutes of controlled loading to seat the rings, then an oil change on a new engine was all that was necessary for an excellent break in with good ring seating and oil control.

Yes a motor does break in with miles, but with today's rings and cylinder bore finishes, it just is not a big deal if you are not an idiot during initial driving.

I will Dyno as soon as SVT responds what is the acceptance criteria on a Cobra engine.

Meanwhile, I will be consistent, without beating up the car like Evan Smith.

I just hope their will not be any LS1's at the track or there is going to be headlines on those Chevy forums. You would think SVT would be concerned with this?

i8u

Established Member
Re: Dyno in my future also.

Originally posted by mike69440
5000 miles to fully break in? Maybe for that last 0.001% of the max. bhp. I have had considerable experience on engine dyno's where 20 minutes to break in a cam and 30 minutes of controlled loading to seat the rings, then an oil change on a new engine was all that was necessary for an excellent break in with good ring seating and oil control.

Yes a motor does break in with miles, but with today's rings and cylinder bore finishes, it just is not a big deal if you are not an idiot during initial driving.

I will Dyno as soon as SVT responds what is the acceptance criteria on a Cobra engine".

I was told that all the new cobra engine are broken in on a dyno. Probably something like you mentioned above.
Let me no when svt responds with the acceptance criteria on a cobra engine.

It feels like tempeture and humidity rob my car of power. But if it's it at a dry cool night the car flys!

Last edited:

Mowgli

Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
For those who have had the vibration I'd really be interested it it's the same as mine. At about 80 in 6th it really feels like I have an unbalanced driveshaft. My rearview mirror shakes so bad I can't see out of it.

For vibration issues, please check out this thread. Sort of a consolidated vibration location. Please post your problem and the solution if the dealer fixes it. Also please list your dealer so other's can have their tech call them for advice if you do get it fixed. Many dealer techs are scratching their heads on this one.

Vibration thread on StangNet

Users who are viewing this thread