Wrecked the 04 Cobra

BlackenedSVT

The Clown has it out 4 me
Established Member
Driving home in the pouring rain Friday night on I-87 Southbound. Was in the middle lane doing 50mph (in a 65) when the car started to hydroplane across traffic, corrected for a brief second before it began to strafe sideways out of control and off the road into a 6ft deep ditch that ran about 100 yards long.

I'm alright, walked away with some bruised ribs from the seatbelt and a cut on my neck.

The cobra that i've owned for 2 years and have loved.....I think is going to be totalled from insurance. EVERY SINGLE body panel (except the roof and pillars) is broken, bent and/or damaged. The driver rear axel and control arm somehow snapped off and all 4 tires blew out (or at least blew the beeds out of seat). No glass broke though, and No airbags went off surprisingly...

I'll post some pics in a minute
Wreck1.gif

wreck2.gif

wreck3.gif

Anyone have any experience with claims? I have TRAVELER's insurance for the past year. I'm waiting to see what they want to do.

Currently its raining out and the car is sitting in a body shop lot outside getting rained in because the driver glass doesn't close....super =)

I'm semi-hoping they call it a wreck and let me buy it back. I'm just glad to have walked away. Simple little freak accident TOTALLED the car in a flash.

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
Sorry dude. I've never hydroplaned at 50mph, must have been some deep water. You're totalled. Although you could buy the reminants from the insurance co. - just put what you get tward another one. Negotiate a good price, it should at least match blue book. I got 16K on my 2001 Cobra with 35k mi. on it. That will never drive straight again.

Last edited:

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Sorry dude. I've never hydroplaned at 50mph, must have been some deep water. You're totalled. Although you could buy the reminants from the insurance co. - just put what you get tward another one. Negotiate a good price, it should at least match blue book. That will never drive straight again.

I agree. The car was a track beast BEFORE i bought the car and the chassis twist was already relevant from the passenger door having a 1" open gap. But I bought the car to enjoy and track myself and the alignment was always straight on it.

...but NOW, i agree i think its a wreck. And as much as i LOVED that car, i dont think it worth even getting back if they even DID fix it.

I owe 20k on the car and its only worth like 17-18k KBB value (because of the Ford and GM collapse), fortunately i bought the GAP insurance....or i'd be upsidedown.

mach1033

Established Member
Were you driving on drag radials? That really sucks man at least you walked away from it.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I had a lady hit me once with Travelers and they were great to work with. No issues getting more money or anything.

Good luck.

03COBRA-88

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your cobra. Glad you walked away with no major issues. Are you going to look for another cobra?

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Honsetly I dont know what im going to do. I am going to see what the insurance company wants to do.

I wanted to learn how to ride a motorcycle, so I may take this opurtunity to buy a bike and a cheap daily driver and maybe NEXT summer get a mustang again.

I've never been mustangless since i've had my license...but I see the need for a daily driver car...as the cobra was my race car AND daily driver. All my mustangs were in fact. But now i see the importance. So I think im going to get a cheap daily driver and MAYBE get a bike, or use the engine and trans and put it in a cheap GT for the track.

I dont know really......

Steve2050

Established Member
I'm glad you're ok. The car isn't that bad, I'd try to buy it back from the ins. company. DR's and wet conditions don't mix.

Digital

Established Member
I'm glad you're ok. The car isn't that bad, I'd try to buy it back from the ins. company. DR's and wet conditions don't mix.

How would not having drag radials help if you hydroplane? You must not understand the concept of water deeper then tread.
DR have to have a mininum tread depth just like every other tire, if the water is higher your tire has a chance to float therefore losing traction and hydroplaning... holy shit get informed you anti dr nazis.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire3.htm <-- bottom of page.
I can gaurentee none of you nazis drive with that type of tire so stfu on the dr shit.

To the op glad ur ok, good job keeping the shiny side up, and hope you get another cobra.

Last edited:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
Another one bites the dust.

Sorry to hear about it man, at least you are OK.

BlackenedSVT

Established Member
Thanks for the support guys. Yeah it ALMOST rolled, it went up on its side almost and crashed back down like you see it now. It was close too a roll.

Yeah I think im ok though, thanks again guys. Yeah it sucks to see another cobra off the road, especially mine :( Guess we'll see what happens

I want to buy another cobra, or at least takes the parts from this and throw it in a track car GT perhaps. I dunno

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
How would not having drag radials help if you hydroplane? You must not understand the concept of water deeper then tread.
DR have to have a mininum tread depth just like every other tire, if the water is higher your tire has a chance to float therefore losing traction and hydroplaning... holy shit get informed you anti dr nazis.
HowStuffWorks "How Tires Work" <-- bottom of page.
I can gaurentee none of you nazis drive with that type of tire so stfu on the dr shit.

To the op glad ur ok, good job keeping the shiny side up, and hope you get another cobra.

Drag radials have a more spaced out tread pattern so that more of the tire is in contact with the road . . .

Drag radials are worthless in the rain, defend it all you want . . . you are wasting your time

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
It does suck, like people have said. However at least your alright.

Things happen, good for you you walked away with minimal injury.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Drag radials have a more spaced out tread pattern so that more of the tire is in contact with the road . . .

Drag radials are worthless in the rain, defend it all you want . . . you are wasting your time

+2

I can't believe that dude doesn't understand that. Also, apart from the spaced-out tread, factor in the tread depth! Go look at a brand new BFG DR, and it looks like it's almost been run bald because the depth is so little. Now compare that to a new street tire, like a BFG KDW. :loser:

Users who are viewing this thread