WRX $HIt talker

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
I got a guy at my work (just got there) that is talkin so much smack how his 04 WRX can smoke my cobra. When we had this discussion I dont think he realized what he was parked next to. Says hes got about 18K into in the car. What does a heavily(i guess) modified WRX run? this is his daily driver with full interior. Anyone here gone up against a modded WRX? What were the results? I'm pretty sure I can Take this guy. His friend was telling me I DIDDNT want to race him cause I'd lose, but I don't think either one of these idiots know what a modded 03 cobra is capable of.
What do y'all think. Id love for some 04-newer WRX owners to chime in and tell me what they think. Theres a few on this board im sure.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
If you can get close to the times you have posted it should be a cake walk.

Mystic03

Established Member
ive walked modded wrx/evos (exhaust,intake,boost controler)so i think if his modds not too crazy ull embarrass him :beer:

Last edited:

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
thats what im hoping for. Just wondering how he can spend 18k on a WRX. theres got to be a couple in the low 11's or high 10's, just hope his isnt one of them. seriouosly doubt it though. Ohh yeah, hes playin that "i'm not gonna tell you what I run" BS. I offered to show him a timeslip but he just turns up his nose.

hehe...cant wait

Mystic03

Established Member
what kinda races are you gona take him on both dig and roll? get sum vidz of it :rockon: usually guys that run very fast times arnt that cocky and usually tell you what they have done to it just my opinion.u should ahve no prob with this guy good luck!

2k1cobra

Established Member
NMRAcer said:
thats what im hoping for. Just wondering how he can spend 18k on a WRX. theres got to be a couple in the low 11's or high 10's, just hope his isnt one of them. seriouosly doubt it though. Ohh yeah, hes playin that "i'm not gonna tell you what I run" BS. I offered to show him a timeslip but he just turns up his nose.

hehe...cant wait
When ricers say they have so much money into their cars, that usually includes the cost of the bodykit,wheels,gauges,and stereo system. :loser:

crazycarlo

Established Member
LOL make sure u both have a witness. better yet someone from work. That way when u spank and.. And u prob will, he will have to hear it all the time at work.

Mystic03

Established Member
2k1cobra said:
When ricers say they have so much money into their cars, that usually includes the cost of the bodykit,wheels,gauges,and stereo system. :loser:

hahah +1 but after you own him be ready for the B.S excuses... :lol:

phillysrt4

Established Member
NMRAcer said:

hehe...cant wait

Translation 1: "My car is a dyno queen and I've never been to a track, so if you showed me a timeslip I wouldnt know how to interpret the data on there to get a gauge of how your car performs anyway."

Translation 2: (like some have said in the thread) "The 18k in my car consists of 7k in wheels/tires, 5k in stereo equipment, 5.3k in a custom paint job mad tyte after market wing and body kit, and 700 for intake and exhaust"

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
I'm pretty sure its a regular WRX. I did notice that the intercooloer is mounted upfront though instead of under the hood. Prob has the regular turbo/intercooler, wastegate, BOV upgrades with bigger injectors and some tuning.

jgheels2003

Established Member
You should hand him his ass. Unless there is a 35R in there or weight reduction with at minimum a 49lb/min turbo upgrade, you will have no problem.

Last edited:

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
I dont know man... just hope he's not one of those big turbo'd guys.. my buddy with a 04 Z06 got his ass handed to him by an sti with a big turbo in it, take off he took him... and before he can hit 3rd the sti flew right by like he was stopped :eek:

sonblue03

"non SVT owning loser"
Established Member
STI and WRX r completely diff tho......STI is a EJ25 with forged internals, etc, WRX is EJ20 that cant handle shit.....a new turbo yes, but if hes not built u should have no prob, and if he is as fast as hes trying 2 make himself out to be, keep in mind if hes on stock transmission etc he wont be able to really launch into boost without breaking something....you should have no prob.

mikes93

Established Member
IMO, You should take him with the # in your sig, 11.6 with 427whp is impressive and even on a roll with over 120s trap, no worry its all you. AWD work against you after 2nd gear and you got that covered with 1.85 60'.So just left is the camera.

06 sti (stock)
93 supra 600+

01WhiteLight

Established Member
Unless he actually has an upgraded turbo, and the fuel system to support it, he is actually hurting his performance with a front mount... most of those kids have no concept of pressure drop, or the differance between 18PSI on a VF22 (very basic upgrade for an EJ20) or 18PSI on a DBBGT-12... and even if he has everything that he needs to support a GT-12 he is still only putting 350 to the wheels on an AWESOME tune with an EJ20 (this is assuming that he hasn't stroked it or anything) and he isnt' going to see usable boost under 4K RPM if he is putting that much down... and like was said before... he would need some $$ in his tranny to launch in boost with that kind of HP.

on the other hand...

he could have:

a built/stroked COBB block ($6000)
SBR Race heads: ($2000)
DBBGT-12 (or some turbine/compressor combination close to this) $1,500-$3,500 depending on accessories, vendor, and prep (clipping, porting, polishing, etc)
wastegate, B/C, AFC, etc - $1,500
Fuel system (injectors, pump, rails) - $1,000
FMIC - $1,000
Intake, exhaust - $2,500
gauges/install kits/dyno pulls/etc - $1,000

and that is if he installed it all himself... that is no suspension, no brakes/tires/tranny/clutch/flywheel/etc... but that set-up COULD put him just shy of 400HP to the tires...

but I doubt that he has all that done...

My honest opinion... look at his brakes... if he is really serious about his scoobie he will understand that the increased go will require extra stop, and if he paid enough attention to detail to field a WRX that can "smoke a mid-11sec cobra" he would have AT MINIMUM upgraded his front roters, but more than likely his entire brake system.

Users who are viewing this thread