WTF...Coolant coming out of tailpipes...

RustyNutz

Established Member
So I just got done doing a whipple swap on my '03 the other day. I thought it went smoothly. I started it a few times after the install to see if I had any fuel/coolant leaks and to top off the coolant (I'm waiting for a x-cal with a base tune). I did this about 4 times over the last few days, letting it run for about 10min each time, with no problems. So today I back it out of the garage about 20 ft, to give it a good wash/wax. When I was done, I started it and let it run for a few minutes. I noticed some white smoke coming out of the tailpipes. I pulled it back in the garage and noticed coolant leaking from the tailpipes, along with the white smoke. I could hear the coolant bubbling in the tailpipes. I looked at the dip stick and the oil looks fine, no bubbles. I opened the coolant overflow and there where a few small dark spots floating on top of the coolant, it was very minimal. The car has 27k, was bone stock and ran perfect, before I put the whipple on. Is there something I could have screwed up during the install that would cause this? I find it hard to believe it's the head gasket, I haven't even driven the damn thing since the swap! :cuss:

Mods installed: whipple 2.3, sct 2600, 63lb injectors, invictus head cooling mod(style 2), afco dual pass H/E, Lethal intercooler res, BAP w/wire upgrade, Billetflow Idlers+throttle body..ect...

wildstang_93

Established Member
could be coming from the intercooler , could have pinched one of those rubber o rings on the 2 little pipes running into the intercooler . causing it to leak water into the lower intake. just a wild guess ,

TRBO VNM

are you sure it is coolant? with the weather still a little cool, seeing some smoke from condensation is normal.

KILRSVT

Established Member
you should try doing a leak down test to see if you really have a blown head gasket and go from there . double check your work after that

Last edited:

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
deff check the level of your coolant and do a pressure test hope it is not a blown head gasket thats what happens when the do go the exhaust smells sweet and is smoky. gl in finding the problem.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
if you're sure it's not condensation I'd pull the blower and check your work and the intercooler.

Digital

Established Member
I would SCOWER your exhaust with water, on the inside. Blow all that crap out with a hose and let it dry for a day. Check to make sure the water was clear and there is no new deposits in the pipes, then fire it up and let it run for a while then take it out and launch it so anything that's in the pipes rolls to the back.
Then check to see if you have the same problem.

RustyNutz

Established Member
are you sure it is coolant? with the weather still a little cool, seeing some smoke from condensation is normal.

I hear ya, but the smoke got worse the longer it ran and the same with the amount of fluid coming from the tailpipes. I guess I'm gonna have to yank the blower.

RustyNutz

Established Member
I didn't run it long enough to really take a measurement in each tank. They don't appear to be low, but I didn't know the exact level before I noticed the problem. I'm a little nervous about letting it run for a while to see which tank level drops down...

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
when you installed the blower, isnt there some coolant lines that runs into the intercooler that actually has to snap into place when you put the blower on? Either you pinched one of those o rings or you didnt put it back together right and that water is getting pushed into the cylinders. I would guess this is your problem for sure

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
When you swapped the blowers did you soak up the coolant in the intake that leaked out when you removed the stock blower? When you remove the hoses to the intercooler, some fluid leaks into the intake. Could be residual from that.

RustyNutz

Established Member
when you installed the blower, isnt there some coolant lines that runs into the intercooler that actually has to snap into place when you put the blower on? Either you pinched one of those o rings or you didnt put it back together right and that water is getting pushed into the cylinders. I would guess this is your problem for sure

I hope this is it, I thought the re-installation of those two tubes for the intercooler was pretty straight forward, Just push them in..?? Maybe one of the o-rings is/was f'd up. So if this was the case, when I pull the blower, there should be fluid in the bottom of the intake, correct?

When you swapped the blowers did you soak up the coolant in the intake that leaked out when you removed the stock blower? When you remove the hoses to the intercooler, some fluid leaks into the intake. Could be residual from that.

Actually, not much leaked out and it was fine the first 3-4 times I let it run after the install.

RustyNutz

Established Member
temp seems good, needle gets to half way, then stops. Just as it did before the problem...

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
what i would do BEFORE you take the blower back off is go to autozone and rent a radiator pressure tester. Take your cap off of your intercooler reservoir and put the attachment on there and pump it up to about 10lbs or so and keep an eye on the gauge over a period of time. If it bleeds down you know you have a leak somewhere. You can also do the same thing on the radiator tank. The only you have to make sure is they make an attachment to fit your particular tank. I have the canton style tanks so they have a standard style cap opening. If everything is holding pressure its probably what sharkattack said.

bradlewis30

Established Member
i would take off the supercharger belt undo the intake bolts pull the intercooler pipe peaces rap them with some teflon tape and stick in back on if the orings were leaking in to your intake that would fix it till you could get some new owrings and it would elimate that part of what could be wrong. Plus it wont take you that long to do maybe 45 minutes at best. I had the same problem and if it is the intercooler leak in the intake you are going to have to let it run a long time before you see the fluid drope took about 10 or more minutes for me to see it go down.

RustyNutz

Established Member
I rented a Cooling system pressure tester from Advanced auto and here's what I got..

Engine cooling system- Started at 15lbs.
5 min - 15lbs
10 min - 15lbs
15 min - 15lbs
20 min - 15lbs
25 min - 14.9lbs
30 min - 14.9lbs
Total pressure loss over 30 min. - .1lbs

Intercooler system - started at 10lbs.
5 min - 9.7lbs
10 min - 9.5lbs
15 min - 9.1lbs
20 min - 8.8lbs
25 min - 8.5lbs
30 min - 8.3lbs
Total pressure loss over 30min. - 1.7lbs

anyone know what the acceptable range is?

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
I rented a Cooling system pressure tester from Advanced auto and here's what I got..

Engine cooling system- Started at 15lbs.
5 min - 15lbs
10 min - 15lbs
15 min - 15lbs
20 min - 15lbs
25 min - 14.9lbs
30 min - 14.9lbs
Total pressure loss over 30 min. - .1lbs

Intercooler system - started at 10lbs.
5 min - 9.7lbs
10 min - 9.5lbs
15 min - 9.1lbs
20 min - 8.8lbs
25 min - 8.5lbs
30 min - 8.3lbs
Total pressure loss over 30min. - 1.7lbs

anyone know what the acceptable range is?

im not sure what the range is but the engine cooling system sounds like everything is ok but your intercooler system sounds like there may be a small leak somewhere. I would try the test one more time and verify that the cap piece on the tester is sealing and also increase the pressure this time. I would try around 15-16lbs and record the data the same way you did the first test. Once you verify that it is, in fact, losing pressure then its time to take the blower off to see whats going on.

Users who are viewing this thread