WTF? Transmission Tick?

LiquidStang

Established Member
OK guys/gals. I finally took my cobra in for "the tick" today. I seems to fit most of the categories, drivers side wheel well, etc. But they put it up on the lift (I'm out there too) and now they're dead set it's coming from the transmission, not the head. Though I got the feeling the guy did NOT want to pull the heads off at ANY cost.

I WILL give them this. When we stuck the stethoscope around on the car, it was loudest when stuck up between the engine and the transmission, and loud about two inches back on the transmission. It wasn't that loud on the drivers side of the engine really at all. (not anymore than the other side).

So I have to wait a week til they can "get to it" and tear the transmission apart, as well as take it off the motor first of all to see if they can find the source of the noise easier. So now I’m stuck driving a noisy cobra.

UGG, so what do you all think? Anyone have any ideas what could be making the metal on metal tick from the transmission? It's already had the TOB replaced twice up there, as well as some other transmission case TSB done. Both of which were just like 1500 miles ago. I want this fixed, whatever it is, cause warranty runs out in October.

-Eric

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Maybe exhaust leak? I had a manifold leak, and it sounded just like the "HEAD TICK".

LiquidStang

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Maybe exhaust leak? I had a manifold leak, and it sounded just like the "HEAD TICK".

Good thought, but we checked the clamps, all were tight :(

The only GOOD thing to come out of this is they have admitted there IS a noise.......

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Not clamps. The manifold where it bolts to the head.

LiquidStang

Established Member
HISSMAN said:
Not clamps. The manifold where it bolts to the head.

Ah, that side of the manifold........they're going to check them as well. But we didn't hear anything really when we stuck the steth up there.

03cobrablack

Where is the KABOOM ????
Established Member
I agree with Hissman it allmost has to be something to do with the exhaust...there really isn't much in the trans. that would tick any way....

LiquidStang

Established Member
tv's 03 said:
Pilot Bearing????

Yeah, the mentioned that too. My ford dealer SUCKS, takes them a week to ever get you in......there's no SVT mechanic, etc. :nonono: The closest SVT dealer is 70 miles away :cuss:

MG01SVT

citius, fortius
Established Member
FWIW, I've had two 03's and both had a trans noise like that. I think my 01 Cobra had it as well. For me the noise is most prominent in the garage or next to a building say a drive-thru lane. The head tick is much louder and will be heard in any situation. At least the few I have seen. When I first discovered the trans noise it bothered me as well, but then again so does the fact that the body panels dont line up perfectly. Little things I have just learned to live with. There has been much debate about the trans noise issue though. Call Tremac(SP?)

Aaron

Last edited:

LiquidStang

Established Member
MG01SVT said:
FWIW, I've had two 03's and both had a trans noise like that. I think my 01 Cobra had it as well. For me the noise is most prominent in the garage or next to a building say a drive-thru lane. The head tick is much louder and will be heard in any situation. At least the few I have seen. When I first discovered the trans noise it bothered me as well, but then again so does the fact that the body panels dont line up perfectly. Little things I have just learned to live with. There has been much debate about the trans noise issue though. Call Tremac(SP?)

Aaron

Hrm.......yeah, that sounds like it. Thanks man.

Users who are viewing this thread