Wtf!

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
So I'm in Topeka, KS and filling up my Mom's car with gas when I see a Army guy walk into the gas station with no cover on:kaboom: It's ****ing cold so I get in the car and tell her to wait. Well this jack ass corporal walks out to his truck again no cover. As I start to tell this idiot what the **** is up my mom drives off.... I look at her and she says "I didn't want you to get into a fight":nonono:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
So I'm in Topeka, KS and filling up my Mom's car with gas when I see a Army guy walk into the gas station with no cover on:kaboom: It's ****ing cold so I get in the car and tell her to wait. Well this jack ass corporal walks out to his truck again no cover. As I start to tell this idiot what the **** is up my mom drives off.... I look at her and she says "I didn't want you to get into a fight":nonono:

Some people just like to see what they can get away with. When I finally moved off base as an Airman, even though putting my cover on was basically a habit by then, I'd find myself consciously not putting my cover on when I'm some distance from the base, just because I can. Now if he was doing this just outside a base, then he's an idiot. Nothing like getting dressed down by some 1st Sgt. in public to make your day.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Some people just like to see what they can get away with. When I finally moved off base as an Airman, even though putting my cover on was basically a habit by then, I'd find myself consciously not putting my cover on when I'm some distance from the base, just because I can. Now if he was doing this just outside a base, then he's an idiot. Nothing like getting dressed down by some 1st Sgt. in public to make your day.

I think the closet thing is some guard installation.... That explains a lot.

I was more pissed at my mom for driving off. Dude needed to be talked to.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member

I've lived off post the entire time I've been in the Army, anytime I'm at my house or in my yard, If I had to go check the mail or something I wouldnt wear my cover, I still wont. I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing your refering to or not. but when I'm at my residence, I'm walking around however I feel lol. Now in public, its a different story. Military discipline and appearance comes into play. Especially whenever your around a place that doesnt have a large amount of military members.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
I've lived off post the entire time I've been in the Army, anytime I'm at my house or in my yard, If I had to go check the mail or something I wouldnt wear my cover, I still wont. I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing your refering to or not. but when I'm at my residence, I'm walking around however I feel lol. Now in public, its a different story. Military discipline and appearance comes into play. Especially whenever your around a place that doesnt have a large amount of military members.

^ Something like that. When I was out in public, I showed my pride in my service. However, like I said, some people just like to push boundaries to see what they can get away with. Maybe the dude thought he was far away enough from his station to get away with it. Double for possibly being a reservist.

Last edited:

03cobrah

Established Member
correct me if i'm wrong but i was told by a buddy of mine in the Army that you guys aren't allowed to wear your ACUs out in town, soldiers do it anyways because it's not relaly enforced. just wondering

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
correct me if i'm wrong but i was told by a buddy of mine in the Army that you guys aren't allowed to wear your ACUs out in town, soldiers do it anyways because it's not relaly enforced. just wondering

Depends on the installation CDR's policy. Regs normally allow for lunch or short stops at stores on the way home or gassing up the car. 2100 at a night club is not acceptable.
Remember, especially with the AF guys, they work lots of shift work so seeing them in uniform at weird hours is not unusual.

As far as the guy with no head gear, only sewers and Dept of the Navy have covers! Was there an overhead cover at the gas station to the entrance? If so, he was allowed to be without head gear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
As far as the guy with no head gear, only sewers and Dept of the Navy have covers! Was there an overhead cover at the gas station to the entrance? If so, he was allowed to be without head gear.

I was going to say this, but at the same time this past summer one of our E-7s got bitched out by an E-9 while pumping gas with no head gear.

It was kind of bs imo especially the fact that he called out an E-7 in front of everyone.

This was at Knox btw.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
There was cover over the pumps but not the distance between that and the doors.

I guess the term "Where is your cover?" was not refering to the hat... Well shit you learn something new everyday.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Three things bother me more than anything, idk if its because i was in a unit with hard line 1sg's and SGM's but,

Not wearing head gear while outside is number one,

Having your hands in your pockets is number two

and walking around and talking on a cell phone is number three.

I see recruiters doing this shit ALL the GOD DAMN TIME. Drives me insane, i guess they forget AR 670-1. They sure are showing a bad representation of the professionalism of the Army.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
There was cover over the pumps but not the distance between that and the doors.

I guess the term "Where is your cover?" was not refering to the hat... Well shit you learn something new everyday.

Well, im sure he knew what you were referring to. Pisses me off when people do things and they know they are wrong but continue anyways. That was one thing i never ever understood while i was in how anyone would want to disrespect the uniform by wearing it half assed or improperly.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member

Sort of depends, like DaleM said it depends on CDR's policy. Normally if its in the town of the base its fine. I hate wearing my uniform so once I get a chance I shed that thing! There have been a few instances where I would try to beat Ft. Hood traffic when I was going home (oklahoma) so I would drive in my ACU's untill my first stop then I would change.

I've always called, and heard head gear called "Covers".

I was going to say this, but at the same time this past summer one of our E-7s got bitched out by an E-9 while pumping gas with no head gear.

We used to be allowed to pump gas without covers untill a couple years ago, they changed the SOP that stated we had to have a cover on at all times while pumping gas. Stupid IMO seing as how there is a hard top roof above you, but whatever Uncle Sam says to do!

Last edited:

Superman750

Part-Timer
Established Member
I have always heard the term cover also. As for the explanation for why he would do it, he is a Corporal. He thinks he is the baddest SOB out there lol. The rules dont apply to him.

All of that stuff bothers me too. And one other thing, strings hanging off the uniform. What are you going rock climbing? For heaven's sake, if you are going to wear the uniform, make it look good. I tell my soldier's all the time that they better conduct an Irish Penance before I see them. I guess I get that from active duty, but I am in the National Guard now.

Superman750

Part-Timer
Established Member
My 1SG always said it. It is cutting the strings off of your uniform. I guess it could be considered a stereotype where the Irish were so poor, all they could pay with was the strings from their clothes.

only a gt

Established Member
Always thought they were called Irish Pennants. As in hey devildog, IP your shit!

Dusten

Established Member
For me, it all depends on the situation. When i was recruiting i was 100's of miles from a base, and we often went without them for the purpose of fitting in a little bit.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
it's just a hat; **** it. you'll have bigger things to worry about now, such as **** banging each other in the showers.

Users who are viewing this thread