x-pipe & h-pipe O/R

4v_mach1

Established Member
Hello guys. I'm new to the mustang world.. I used to be in the ricer world, but It's time to move onto a bigger better toy. I just wanted to know the difference between a O/R X-pipe and O/R H-pipe before i place a order. Performance difference? Sound difference? Any opinions?

They all sound the same to me on youtube. :shrug:

Monster Mach

Established Member
Performance.. about 1hp x pipe more..(better flow) sound... x is more raspy.. h is like stock but louder... x unleashes the wrath of god... I personally like x because it is so obnoxiosuly loud.. and it makes any exhaust sound good..

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Goin with a OR X or OR H depends on the catback really, IMO. For a straight muffler go with a X but with a camber muffler go with a H. I Had a OR X with a camber muffler and it sounded like a Z71 with glass packs. Had a BAD rolling pop to it. Not a good sound IMO. The Straight muffler and OR X pipe will make more power over a camber muffler with a OR H pipe, how much im not sure.

Monster Mach

Established Member
I thought I had the pop he was refering too^^ I have shitty ass flow masters.. but after letting my cousin drive my car.. the pop could only be heard inside... along with a rattle... outside the car sounded amazing... inside I can't stand the way it sounds.. hence why I hate flowmaster.. but outside I gotta give flowies credit

Krwy

Established Member
I like the way SLP Lm1 sounds with kooks LT header and a x-pipe.. Same setup as joshfoxbody on YouTube. I like Borla as well..

There is no way in hell you can run that on the street here in CA. I had the SLP LM1 catback with a UPR o/r x pipe on my Mach, and it was WAY, WAY too loud. There is never 'quiet' time while driving it. I couldn't even enter the freeway without anyone in a 5mile radius hearing me. I had that setup for about two weeks and the mufflers were changed for regular Magnaflows. You'll be a CHP magnet for sure. I love loud too, but this was just too much.

Right now I have the UPR o/r x and a regular Magnaflow catback. It's still plenty loud if you get on it, but you won't shatter glass when you go WOT. I get compliments all the time on it. If you're going to be running longtubes, that will increase the sound too. If you don't want to have to go to the smog ref I would suggest mufflers on the quiet side.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Would muffler delete + x-pipe raise hell?

At wot yes... I get pulled over constantly... when I lived in maryland.. police loved me.. but if your nice they usually let you go.. same with maryland and ny... I am usually in the gas though

4v_mach1

Established Member
Damn cops even mess with mustang owners? ;(
what's a good setup for the street? Does the borla xr1 still exist?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmW9-HtcViI&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]YouTube - 2001 Cobra with Kooks and Borla XR1's[/nomedia]

Last edited:

Krwy

Established Member
Damn cops even mess with mustang owners? ;(
what's a good setup for the street? Does the borla xr1 still exist?

YouTube - 2001 Cobra with Kooks and Borla XR1's

Cops don't target Mustangs primarily, but if you're driving like a douche bag, or your car sounds like the gates of hell opened, you're getting pulled over.

My setup sounds great, still throaty, but not attention drawing, over the top loud. Even had a county Sheriff tell me the car sounds good.
UPR o/r x pipe, magnaflow catback.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Cops don't target Mustangs primarily, but if you're driving like a douche bag, or your car sounds like the gates of hell opened, you're getting pulled over.

My setup sounds great, still throaty, but not attention drawing, over the top loud. Even had a county Sheriff tell me the car sounds good.
UPR o/r x pipe, magnaflow catback.

I run the magnaflow or x pipe and the reg magnaflows also. Sounds great and isn't to loud unless I go wot.

OrangeMach23

BOOSTIDMACH
Established Member
I always like to say at least from a sound stand point that an O/R X-Pipe makes you sound like Dale Jr. and an O/R H-pipe gives you more of that deep Muscle Car sound of old school muscle. Like everyone else says on here it just depends really on your muffler combo.

My set up is a Dr. Gas Off Road X and Borla Stingers! Great tone at idle but all hell breaks loose at WOT!!!!! :)

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
I LOVE the way the O/R H sounds way better than the x pipe. I have the O/R H with flowmasters. Here's a video of how it sounds when you rev up at idle and under load.
YouTube - zsurfs's Channel
YouTube - zsurfs's Channel

Perfect example for you to compare... exact same catback... here is my car with o/r x
[Youtube_browser]4jGPLH27[/youtube_browser]
[Youtube_browser]dO9toaJuPlw[/youtube_browser]

4v_mach1

Established Member
damn they all sound nice such a hard choice! I don't want to make a new thread, but does anyone know what the best transmission oil, dif oil, and motor oil for a mach 1 with 70k miles?

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
Lucas for all 3.. never use rp it eats metal.. mobile one if you have to in your motor.. but lucas for the rest

4v_mach1

Established Member
Lucas for all 3.. never use rp it eats metal.. mobile one if you have to in your motor.. but lucas for the rest

Is there a specific weight that should be used in the dif? and the transmission oil is just regular?

Users who are viewing this thread