X-pipe vs H-pipe

SaleenShelby

Established Member
What is the difference between the X-pipe and the H-pipe? I heard that there might be different in sound. Which one is better? Any info would help.

2003 Silver

Banned
Originally posted by Cougar S-281E
What is the difference between the X-pipe and the H-pipe? I heard that there might be different in sound. Which one is better? Any info would help.

If you want the Mustang musclecar sound....go with the h. I just put on a catted x (Magnaflow) and I am not sure if I like the sound...most call it exotic sounding...I think it sounds like that, but also a little on the ricey side. I may be switching to an h.....

White01Cobra

Established Member
In my opinion, an off road h-pipe sounds better than an off road x-pipe. An h-pipe will give you a sound that is similar to stock, but a lot louder. The x-pipe gives the car a much deeper sound, but tends to be a little raspy. A lot of the guys on here have x-pipes, but I prefer the sound of the h-pipe. Hopefully others will tell you their opinions.

BTW, I have an off road h with flowmaster catback.

Last edited:

SaleenShelby

Established Member
Thanks
I have an X now, but I am thinking of getting some headers. This will give me the opportunity to chouse one or the other. Is there a difference in performance?

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
an H will give you more low end power, and an X will give you higher rpm horsepower, however both pipes im sure would be within 3-4rwhp and torque of each other, so its a sound preference.

White01Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by 11secCobra
an H will give you more low end power, and an X will give you higher rpm horsepower, however both pipes im sure would be within 3-4rwhp and torque of each other, so its a sound preference.

I agree, the power difference will prolly not be enough to choose one over the other. The sound is the reason that I went with an h-pipe instead of x-pipe.

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Re: Re: X-pipe vs H-pipe

Originally posted by 1268Melberger
If you want the Mustang musclecar sound....go with the h. I just put on a catted x (Magnaflow) and I am not sure if I like the sound...most call it exotic sounding...I think it sounds like that, but also a little on the ricey side. I may be switching to an h.....
Same here. I just installed a Magnaflow X-pipe..sounds a little ricey.

2003 Silver

Banned
Re: Re: Re: X-pipe vs H-pipe

Originally posted by cobra4v
Same here. I just installed a Magnaflow X-pipe..sounds a little ricey.

Are you switching to an h....and if so, which one??

chitowncobra

Established Member
i have bbk long tube headers, bbk off road H pipe, and Borla catback sounds like a race going down the street get nothing but thumbs up!!!

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
MRT H-pipe and the MAC-ProChamber are the two H-pipes I'm contemplating on. I don't care for the raspy, "so called exotic", sound of an X-Pipe, the aftermarket H-pipes have a more traditional/natural muscle car sound to them IMO.

I'm leaning towards the MRT but it's about $100 bucks more than the MAC. The MRT is SS vs the aluminized Mac which explains the cost. I've heard the Mac live but not the MRT. Do any of you guys have experience with either of these? Who has compared? What are your thoughts? Anybody got sound clips of the MRT-H pipe on 03/04 Cobras?

ArtMan

Established Member
I'm running the 2.5" Stainless Bassani X and Cat Back. Took a little while to get used to, but I definitely like it. Sounds like muscle at idle and at normal load just cruising, but at WOT it sounds like straight pipes...loud. Sounds good during downshifts, and never drones which really surprised me. Everywhere I go I get asked what exhaust I have, then they tell me it sounds awesome.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 11secCobra
Well said! They are so close that it really is a sound preference. I had a catted X-pipe but wish now that I had gone with an MRT catted H-pipe. I never was thrilled with the "exotic" sound of my X-pipe even though I eventually got used to it.

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
the only thing that keeps me from going with the MRT right now is that I believe they use magnaflow cats & I can get the x-pipe maggy for a lot less....decisions decisions

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: X-pipe vs H-pipe

Originally posted by 1268Melberger
Are you switching to an h....and if so, which one??
I going to leave the magnaflow catted X-pipe on for the time being. I am going to do what CobraBob did...get use to the sound. If I were to swap it out..I would get the MRT catted h-pipe.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
I think it depends what type of muffler (chambered or straight through) you have paired up with the mid pipe. All I know is I wouldn't call my magnaflow catted X & FR500 combo "ricey".

NiteMareGT

Master Of Puppets
Established Member
Originally posted by MystiChrome Coupe
I think it depends what type of muffler (chambered or straight through) you have paired up with the mid pipe. All I know is I wouldn't call my magnaflow catted X & FR500 combo "ricey".

Good point MystiChrome Coupe....The general rule is to never use chambered mufflers with an X-pipe, and just the opposite with resonators or straight throughs with an H. It sounds like total ass....:thumbsup:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
The H or X will have little if at all any power differences from each other anywhere in the RPM band. I have dyno sheets to prove it.

It is all a matter of the sound you are looking for. IMO the H sounds better with any setup chambered or non chambered. The O/R X pipes are way to raspy. A catted X sounds much better, but stil doesnt compare to the sound an H pipe gives. But if you want to go with an O/R pipe i suggest an H pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread