X pipe with dumps? Newbee Question

viperakron

Established Member
Just bought a 12/auto and searching here for exhaust upgrades. See all kinds of combination of On Road/Off Road X and H pipes and over the axle combos. My main reason for an exhaust upgrade is performance improvements that would be for limited trips to the track. Not fond of driving everyday with raspy or resonating aftermarket systems. Question is does someone make an X pipe with cut outs or dumps installed? I'm thinking you open them at the track. I'm sure this option would require a tune with open exhaust.

Lewis26

Established Member
You wouldn't get any performance improvement with dumps after the cat in the x-pipe. just more noise.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I can't say I've seen a dyno with dumps to give you a definite answer. If you have a very free flowing exhaust after the dumps, you may see minimal gains. If you have a very quiet restrictive exhaust after the dumps, then you may see more gains.

viperakron

Established Member
An open exhaust without cats properly tuned has got to be better at the track than a full exhaust. I guess you don't even need the X as dumps would be upstream. Switch back to a stock tune when capped up,

nocobrafornow

Established Member
in my opinion, if you just want it to sound a little better or louder and make some more power, the just buy the Lethal/BBR style x-pipe. it does gain some power and even sounds good with the stock mufflers. i wanted mine just a little louder so i got the GT-500 mufflers, and to me it's perfect. my only suggestion is to check the market section people sell them all the time. i got mine off ebay for Greyhound who actually make the pipes for them and it was cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread