X3Z Computer

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
My '93 Cobra has been acting up and I have traced it down to a faulty ECU. Where can I pick up a good one and how much should I expect to pay? eBay shows a few used ones for abut $350 and up but I am a little bit leary.

Can you pick up a refurbished X3Z at one of the local parts stores? They do offer them but I am not sure they are truly Cobra compatible and you know the hired help won't know anything about it.

I am running an 8 pound Paxton. Should I possibly go another direction? Preferably one that won't break the bank? I do have a good A9L but I know that it isn't calibrated for 24# injectors or a 70mm TB.

Last edited:

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
Not that I could find. I sent mine to a company that I found on ebay that repairs them. I'll report back when I get it.

I put an A9L in it just to get it home from the shop but with the huffer on it the Cobra doesn't idle worth a crap (surges) and it just doesn't seem to like it. Calibration issues for the 24lb injectors and the 70 MM throttle body would be my guess.

02_Lightning

Established Member
Take it to your local tuner and they can get your A9L to run your combo.
Honestly, I ran an A9L in my Cobra for years. I had Mike Wesley tune it and then the car really ran well!!

racerbox77

Established Member
An A9L will work perfectly fine. No tuning needed. I'm positive. I have had an A9L in mine for years before I ever tuned it

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
I put my re-man X3Z in today that I got back from the ebay seller and now it purrs like a kitty cat just like it used too. The idle is perfect and it goes through the gears silky smooth once again.

My problem started out with a surging idle. Over time I noticed that the engine would't catch while cranking until I totally released the key from the start position. Then, one day it just wouldn't start at all. The next day it cranked up fine but left me stranded down the road.

My car has only 72K original miles on it. It's very well kept and clean and I haven't had a problem with it since the day i bought it new (except for a new battery and tires). I've had the huffer on it since 1996.

Man, it's nice having my car back. Just a heads up for anyone who might be having similar issues.

If anyone is interested here is the ebay link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271118226714?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I sent him a message first before I sent it too him and asking about the '93 Cobra X3Z computer and he said it would be no problem. He was right.

Last edited:

racerbox77

Established Member
Glad it worked out. FYI the Cobra ECU pulls 2 degrees of timing but the A9L doesn't. Other than that not sure what the difference is.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
Yup, that is correct. The X3Z is also calibrated for 24 lb injectors and a 70mm throttle body.

Looking closer at the computer I was using which I got from a mechanic buddy of mine it turned out to be an A9P which came in automatic cars. He had "5-speed" written on the top of it but when I saw the A9P stamp on the factory sticker (I didn't know that before i used it) after giving it back to him I pointed it out to him.

My car did not like that ECM at all.

Last edited:

Speedfreek

Established Member
Yea the x3z is calibrated and it is hit or miss whether or not the A9l will work. I've had some that the a9l worked with no problems and I've had some that it wouldnt run at all on it.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
Since I run a Paxton having an ECM that pulls 2 degrees out of the top RPM range is a good thing. I also run an MSD Boost Timing Master where I can dial out some upper end timing too.

A pinging motor when it's blown = trouble. 93 pump gas doesn't help much either.

racerbox77

Established Member
Since I run a Paxton having an ECM that pulls 2 degrees out of the top RPM range is a good thing. I also run an MSD Boost Timing Master where I can dial out some upper end timing too.

A pinging motor when it's blown = trouble. 93 pump gas doesn't help much either.
If you have a boost retard why would you want the ECU to retard it even more? I guess just being extra cautious and not in search of every last HP

93SVTvenom

Established Member
Interesting ... Didn't know the subtleties of the X3Z vs A9L ... Tuner was trying to talk me into the A9L for my set up (Vortech S-trim with TF TW 170s and custom cam) but told him I preferred to stay as original as possible (keeping all stock parts and didn't want to swap ECU unless for Pro-M stand a lone). Glad yours worked out for you. Could you post the name of the company that did the rebuild for the rest of us in case we need a rebuild ... that is if you feel comfortable with the recommendation. Glad your back on the road!!!

93SVTvenom

Established Member
Thanks for posting it up ... Hopefully I wont have any issues. If I do I will probably go Pro M but at least I can rebuild for originality if I ever go back to stock = )

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
There is some good information on here. I am going through something very similar - my 93 started with only cranking up when I released the key as well. Then it went into continually priming the fuel pump when the key was on and engine off. Finally, it just wouldn't crank up at all. I diagnosed that the injectors were not pulsing and that was pretty much the nail in the coffin for the ECU diagnosis. Im glad you were able to solve yours through the ebay vendor- I am going to give them a shot. Hopefully they can repair mine too!!

fastford21g

Gear Head
Established Member
Update on my situation - I got my ECU back from the EBay vender . Plugged it in and fired rite up! Very happy with their work and how quickly they got my ECU back . :)

Users who are viewing this thread