Yes, yes another dragon throttle body question

BdJames

Established Member
I know, another question posted about these throttle bodies. I am sorry. But I installed the tb and plenum over the weekend. I'm not having idling issues so much... My issue is that the gas pedal is now lower to the floor than before. So now when I try to drive the car, it runs at higher rpms as though I had my foot on the gas pedal and was cruising. When I put it in neutral the rpms hang for a few sec and then drop to 1050rpm. I'm not sure how this happened. Thanks for any help.

ctgreddy

Established Member
So basically the car is driving itself? My buddies trans am did that after we did a long list of parts to it(h/c/i/throttle body, etc). His tuner ended up fixing it. It should also be idleing a lot lower(7-800). I'd try and find all the threads about setting the tps and everything to get it to idle down and it should help.

BdJames

Established Member
Yes the car basically drives itself. The cable is routed correctly. I rechecked my tune and the idle is set at 650. The throttle cable seems loose at the throttle lever. When I turn it from under the hood, when I let it go it closes right away but I can hear the gas pedal bounce back like a recoil.

Comp281

Established Member
It is fairly common for the idle to hang when you've just installed a large mono blade TB. I have a dragon as well and the idle would hang above 1k rpm for the first few driving cycles. It was recommended to me to disconnect the battery overnight after the install. I then connected it the next day and began driving. After I drove the car a few full driving cycles (cold to operating temperature to cold) it smoothed out and now it runs perfectly. I was worried that it would be a problem but the computer adjusted to the new TB after a short time. It is recomended that you don't adjust the TB. Leave the way it was supplied and do what I recommended before messing with the adjustment. Hope this helps.

BdJames

Established Member
It is fairly common for the idle to hang when you've just installed a large mono blade TB. I have a dragon as well and the idle would hang above 1k rpm for the first few driving cycles. It was recommended to me to disconnect the battery overnight after the install. I then connected it the next day and began driving. After I drove the car a few full driving cycles (cold to operating temperature to cold) it smoothed out and now it runs perfectly. I was worried that it would be a problem but the computer adjusted to the new TB after a short time. It is recomended that you don't adjust the TB. Leave the way it was supplied and do what I recommended before messing with the adjustment. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the response. I already disconnected the battery overnight and reconnected it today. I did start it and let it warm to running temps. I drove it to get gas and came right back. Gas station and back home was only a mile. I didn't drive it anymore because its annoying sitting at a red light and it sounds like I'm still driving 30 mph. I was embarrassed of the looks I got from people. Maybe I should drive it more. The instructions said to back the stop screw all the way out and then run the car and adjust the screw until the problem is solved. I have not done this yet because I wanted others opinions first. You are saying not to?

Comp281

Established Member
I installed mine leaving the screw the way it was set and I was told that it was already set to the correct position. I suppose yours may need to be adjusted. But it is common for the idle to hang while the car calibrates itself. When I first installed mine I thought there was a problem and had a hard time believing that it would go away. But after I drove the car a few times, the idle came down around 800. It did take a little while though.

BdJames

Established Member
I installed mine leaving the screw the way it was set and I was told that it was already set to the correct position. I suppose yours may need to be adjusted. But it is common for the idle to hang while the car calibrates itself. When I first installed mine I thought there was a problem and had a hard time believing that it would go away. But after I drove the car a few times, the idle came down around 800. It did take a little while though.

I get that, but was your gas pedal closer to the floor? this is what I do not understand. I get that putting a much larger, single blade tb will affect the idle for a little bit. But I actually thought I moved my seat back farther away from the pedals because the gas pedal is that much closer to the floor.

Comp281

Established Member
Well I don't know. It is all mechanical so if the tb is staying open, the gas pedal would be closer to the floor. My idle was sticking around 1100 so the pedal would be down a little bit. If yours is way down then there might be something else going on. If it is only a little bit then I suggest letting the computer calibrate itself and see what happens. It is a little annoying until it sorts itself out.

BdJames

Established Member
So I finally got the tps set to .96 volts, may need to slot the holes to get closer to 1v. What I have not fixed is the position of the gas pedal. It is still sitting closer to the floor of the car even with the car off. I haven't driven it at all to make sure the idle is correct as a result of this. The car will still drive itself when in gear since the gas pedal is stuck in a lower position. I'm real close to going back to stock tb. I'm under 500 hp so I might as well return to the stocker. Any ideas on this or votes for returning to the stock tb /plenum.

Thanks, Brett

cobracide

Established Member
Put something around the end of the cable in front of the endcap. This will raise the pedal. I used a small piece of rubber hose and a hose clamp.

BdJames

Established Member
I reinstalled the stock throttle body and plenum earlier today. Also bought and installed a brand new tps. Got everything on and check the tps voltage. It was right on 1 v. Tightened the screws down and started it up. Idle is high at 1400-1480. When I drive it, the car still "drives itself" by keeping a 2k rpm idle???!! Not real sure what has happened. I have taken the stock parts off before and replaced them without any problems like now with the dragon tb endeavor. I am running out of ideas and patience. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BdJames

Established Member
wooww.. hmmmm.. make sure the gasket isn't torn... try putting an IAC valve restrictor gasket on it..

I used brand new gaskets. I obviously have too much air getting thru. Could a vacuum leak be the problem? The iac gasket is new as well, but if this could help then I will try the rescrictor.

Anabolic

Banned
I used brand new gaskets. I obviously have too much air getting thru. Could a vacuum leak be the problem? The iac gasket is new as well, but if this could help then I will try the rescrictor.

I mean there could be vaccum leak, I would try to locate it by spraying ether around the inlets. See if idle goes up then
My single accufab does the same thing, was fine but now it's F'd too. so IDK there's a way to set the idle, gonna start looking for it.
:shrug:

BdJames

Established Member
I mean there could be vaccum leak, I would try to locate it by spraying ether around the inlets. See if idle goes up then
My single accufab does the same thing, was fine but now it's F'd too. so IDK there's a way to set the idle, gonna start looking for it.
:shrug:

Ok, well thanks for the info. I thought this could be the problem. I will have to make sure there are no leaks. I wish the idle set in my tune would bully its way to correct this

BdJames

Established Member
Well I spent most of today working on the car. Still can't find out why my idle is hanging. Could not find a vacuum leak. Throttle linkage doesn't appear to have a kink or anything wrong with it. All bolts are torqued down. Tps voltage is set at .98. Engine still idles around 1200 but that's after it sits running for a minute around 1300rpms. When I push on the gas and let off the idle jumps up and hangs for 5 seconds and then returns to 1100-1200. The tps is brand new. I have taken the tb off before and put it back on with no problem at all. Not sure why it is like this now. Any ideas? This is the stock tb btw.

BdJames

Established Member
Oh and I checked the tb and the blades do close all the way when you release the gas pedal and the stop screw has not been adjusted from factory.

Users who are viewing this thread