YIKES! Wheel failure at 100+

Sirl

Established Member
Non mustang, but open track related.
Friend of mine in his blown Miata.
At Homestead this past weekend with NASA.

Incident is towards the end, feel free to FF if you like.

He was fine, so I dont mind posting.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTCDFGxdMA&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Turn 1 wheel & tire failure[/nomedia]

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm glad he's OK. Any idea what kind of wheel it is? Do any of the others show cracking?
The tire rolling past him at the end is kinda comical.

WPBcobra

Established Member
I'm glad he's OK. Any idea what kind of wheel it is? Do any of the others show cracking?
The tire rolling past him at the end is kinda comical.

the other rear rim was showing some cracking after that one gave out. and they are rims just for the track. he is calling up the company and going to try to get new ones to replace them

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Did he buy a new seat yet?

That would have been my first purchase even BEFORE buying a new wheel. Some stinks you just can't wash out!

-Kevin

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
I'll bet he shit his britches pretty good on that one, lol. I'm glad to see he made it out unscathed though......

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Those are 6UL wheels from 949 Racing. I have a set of them. Looks like I need to add an inspection item to my checklist.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I'm guessing part of the cause is due to the forces seen on a roval. From talking to some people, I've heard throught the grapevine from tire manufacturers that the forces seen through a tire at the transition from road course to oval are extremely high. Obviously this would also apply to the wheel. Checking for cracked wheels is definitely a good thing to do. A very good reason for keeping them clean as well.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
He handled that well! :-D Glad he's ok!

It's never a good thing when your tire passes you!! :dw:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

cobra4b

@ The Track
Established Member
Always crack-check your wheels... no matter what kind they are! A buddy of mine had the wheel hub flange fail on his Corvette race car coming through turn 3 @ VIR. Same type of thing happened... wheel/tire goes bouncing off in front of him.

fastduo

Palm Beach Mustang Club
Established Member
The company is replacing all four wheels and are taking back the wheels to examine them and figure out why they failed. The right rear failed and the left rear was found with cracks on all of the spokes.
Here is the left rear wheel.
juanswheelcrack.jpg

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
A friend of mine had a CCW wheel crack on him at VIR. These were the old thinner version of their center section.

Good thing I was looking over his car real good before he went out for his next session! :eek:

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Troy, that's what you get for racing those heavy cars. :poke:
Gotta admit, I've never seen any of the Miata's down here have wheel issues. Glad you caught it.

Users who are viewing this thread