Your Bone Stock Boost Numbers

Max Boost Bone Stock Numbers

• Total voters

immortalstang

Established Member
Where does your needle hit on the boost gauge when it was stock. I mean stock as in down to the paper filter. Mine started out at about 8-8.5 with a couple thousand on the odometer. I thought it was a dog then, and was kinda disappointed that I didn't have a factory freak. Now its got about 7kmi. and its running the full ten pounds (past the ten line) in 75 degree weather and feels stronger than ever. I'm a real happy camper now (still bone stock). I wonder what will happen to my boost number when I put the JLT on. :burnout:

Last edited:

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
11 psi ;-)

But it was about 4 degrees out when I saw that on my autometer gauge. In normal weather I got 8.5 psi.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
11 psi ;-)

But it was about 4 degrees out when I saw that on my autometer gauge. In normal weather I got 8.5 psi.

With just an FIPK [stock exhaust] and 0 degree weather, I was over 11 lbs. I called SVT to ask if I should worry about running lean with the stock tune. After a consultation, they said don't worry about it...

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
immortalstang said:
Mine started out at about 8-8.5 with a couple thousand on the odometer. I thought it was a dog then, and was kinda disappointed that I didn't have a factory freak.
I can't imagine thinking this car is a dog in stock form? I felt my Cobra straight from the factory was ridiculously powerful! Now I have a couple of mods, with the 2.8 upper being the most recent chang, and it's really too fast for the street. I was going 35mph in 2nd gear the other day and mash the throttle and the ass end broke loose like I was doing a 1st gear burnout! :D

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Lessee...no clear indication of where 10 actually is, no other numbers on the gauge...****ed if I know.

whtsnake03

Established Member
Living in Colorado makes the boost suffer. I am at 5500 feet and the air is thinner up here. I got about 8 stock.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
on average at WOT I'm hitting the 10 lbs on the boost guage.. so I think that I have a "strong" one.. also that 355 to the ground on a Mustang Dyno seems to say it too..

immortalstang

Established Member
BigBeez03 said:
I can't imagine thinking this car is a dog in stock form? I felt my Cobra straight from the factory was ridiculously powerful! Now I have a couple of mods, with the 2.8 upper being the most recent chang, and it's really too fast for the street. I was going 35mph in 2nd gear the other day and mash the throttle and the ass end broke loose like I was doing a 1st gear burnout! :D

It felt like a dog because I was comparing it my daily beater which is a 5.0 with close to 300rwhp. I had expected the cobra in stock form to be a lot more powerful than the mustang. Given the differences in weight and horsepower I would say they felt similiar in acceleration with the nod to the 5.0 for the instant neck snapping torque. I had somehow come to expect to get the same instant neck snapping torque from the cobra was slightly disappointed. For example, one time, highway traffic was building up in my lane so I slow to a steady crawl in first gear. The next lane was moving quite fast so naturally I wanted to change lanes. I moved the car over to the next lane and mashed the pedal at around 1k and waited in horror for a second or so until boost and speed built up and away I go. In my mustang, I would have screeched my tires off idle and accelerated away confidently. So there I learned that even though people say the cobras got mad torque at low rpm, it is still not the same as the instant hit of torque that you get with a bigger displacement motor, especially off idle.

04torchred

Established Member
immortalstang said:
It felt like a dog because I was comparing it my daily beater which is a 5.0 with close to 300rwhp. I had expected the cobra in stock form to be a lot more powerful than the mustang. Given the differences in weight and horsepower I would say they felt similiar in acceleration with the nod to the 5.0 for the instant neck snapping torque. I had somehow come to expect to get the same instant neck snapping torque from the cobra was slightly disappointed. For example, one time, highway traffic was building up in my lane so I slow to a steady crawl in first gear. The next lane was moving quite fast so naturally I wanted to change lanes. I moved the car over to the next lane and mashed the pedal at around 1k and waited in horror for a second or so until boost and speed built up and away I go. In my mustang, I would have screeched my tires off idle and accelerated away confidently. So there I learned that even though people say the cobras got mad torque at low rpm, it is still not the same as the instant hit of torque that you get with a bigger displacement motor, especially off idle.

I agree that big displacement motors make wild torque down low, the 383 in my S-10 was wild. The Cobra has a really gently pull that just pulls smoothly. Anyways, the S-10 is faster.

I see about 8.5lbs normally. On cold days 9.5-10psi. Who knows how accurate the stock gauge is?

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
I think I've read that the stock gauges are pretty accurate.

My #'s posted above was from my stock dyno sheet, not the gauge.

Snake Pliskin

Teen Idol
Established Member
Subtract 1 from the over 10psi

Mine shows 12 to 13 on the autometer and pegs out hard on the stock boost gauge. But it has a cai and catbacks so minus one from the over 10. Should i get that much boost? Got the car used with these mods in place and pulley measures about 3 3/16". This is on an 04'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread