Your Future Hobby Car Purchases

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I'm in the same boat. The only late model cars I like are Mustangs and Challengers. Never cared for the look of the present Chargers. I'm not a low to the ground two seater type of car guy so Corvettes are out. My favorite cars have always been from the 60s and early 70s but buying a 50-60 year old car gives me pause. It would have to be a restomod with a newish crate engine. I can't justify spending what they go for though. Odds are I'll never own another fun car.
I have zero patience for cars giving me shit. Zero. If I bought a car and it acted up I’d dump it like a whore.
I’ll own one daily. A large sedan and one fun car and that’s it. Both will be new and will never be electric or I won’t buy them. Zero shits given.

I will always do the opposite of what my government tells me I have to or should do

wizbangdoodle

Inslee is an Idiot
Established Member
Premium Member
I have built a lot of Cobra kit cars. All of them Superformance. I used to work for a Dealership that was distributor/builder. I have worked on a number of others including Backdraft and Factory 5. Of those 3, the Backdraft was the best riding/handling as it uses BMW underpinnings. The Factory 5 is the cheapest of the bunch and it shows. Especially when you park it next to the other 2. Obviously some of that is due to the build skills of the typical Factory 5 buyer. But a Superformance car is quality through and through. Yes, you pay for it. Last time I was building these, the car minus engine/trans driveshaft and all plumbing were around $60K. That was back in 2010 or so. You can get a Continuation CSX Cobra from Superformance that is registered and licensed as a 66' Cobra and is probably 90% as original (using new not NOS parts) as the ones built in 66', and are set up to have the FE big block installed. The CSX cars I built all got the all aluminum FE from Roush that was 511 cid. A couple of those the customer opted for ITB EFI. The rest were old school carb set ups. All made over 600 lb/ft torque and were a beast. They were also big money. I don't think I ever saw a CSX build under $100K. I did a "regular" Superformance build with a ITB EFI 427 Windsor from Roush, and after the custom interior, carbon fiber dash, and fogger Nitrous system, it came in at $125K.
This is the general consensus that I came across. Superformance has a higher build quality, Backdraft is a tad longer and Factory Five is the least expensive. I think the reason most Factory Five cars don't meet Superformance build quality is, the owner doesn't have an eye for detail, and they use a donor car and have a bunch of used parts on it. If I go with FF, all parts will be new, no donor.

Your government is lying to you

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well I’m looking at a 69 Z28 RS, but I doubt it’ll happen. I’ve thought about that car for a while. I’m also doing a lot of upgrades on my Impala, so there’s that. Though they’re period correct upgrades, no restro mods. Another car I’ve had my eyes on is a real unmolested 38 Buick we worked on a while back. And if the guy will sell it maybe a 68 SST. I’ve been thinking of selling my mustangs, though I love them, but I like classics more than modern.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…
Since we bought our 67 fastback I'm really digging the classics as well. It's hard to beat the styling of the old ones.

The only thing I hate is it seems everything wants to leak on ours...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have zero patience for cars giving me shit. Zero. If I bought a car and it acted up I’d dump it like a whore.
I’ll own one daily. A large sedan and one fun car and that’s it. Both will be new and will never be electric or I won’t buy them. Zero shits given.

I will always do the opposite of what my government tells me I have to or should do
I should add that I might consider one of the supercharged Cadillac sedans. Those things can tear it up pretty good.

Recon

Established Member
Since we bought our 67 fastback I'm really digging the classics as well. It's hard to beat the styling of the old ones.

The only thing I hate is it seems everything wants to leak on ours...

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I’ve been around them a lot, my first car is my Impala that we got in 09. Plus that was my first interest in cars; my interest in modern cars came much later. I agree about the styling. There isn’t a modern counterpart in existence that looks better than the classics.
That’s something you’ll just have to get used to. You will always be working on it, and that’s something you can’t escape. Comes with the territory.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is the general consensus that I came across. Superformance has a higher build quality, Backdraft is a tad longer and Factory Five is the least expensive. I think the reason most Factory Five cars don't meet Superformance build quality is, the owner doesn't have an eye for detail, and they use a donor car and have a bunch of used parts on it. If I go with FF, all parts will be new, no donor.

Your government is lying to you
The parts you start with that are provided by Factory 5 are not in the same ballpark as Superformance or Backdraft. It is the entry level kit car. The others are much more refined. You should really see a Factory 5 parked next to one of the others. The difference is startling. On its own the Factory 5 looks fine, but head to head, no go. Kind of like comparing a Aston Martin to a Chevy Cruze. They are both cars, but the similarities pretty much end there.
I will admit that I am biased having worked on so many of them. A Factory 5 can be a quick car for sure. I guess it depends on what your budget is and what your expectations are.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Id love to stuff a Coyote in a Shelby Cobra.

1965-shelby-cobra-factory-five

This is exactly what I will be doing in the next 5-10 years.

What a bad ass machine.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
The parts you start with that are provided by Factory 5 are not in the same ballpark as Superformance or Backdraft. It is the entry level kit car. The others are much more refined. You should really see a Factory 5 parked next to one of the others. The difference is startling. On its own the Factory 5 looks fine, but head to head, no go. Kind of like comparing a Aston Martin to a Chevy Cruze. They are both cars, but the similarities pretty much end there.
I will admit that I am biased having worked on so many of them. A Factory 5 can be a quick car for sure. I guess it depends on what your budget is and what your expectations are.
Curious if you have any more detail. I know the low budget factory fives are apparent but have seen ones taken to the extreme that look pretty good. These have high end suspension setups, interiors, etc. what is it about the factory five - the body, trim, chassis?

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I have built a lot of Cobra kit cars. All of them Superformance. I used to work for a Dealership that was distributor/builder. I have worked on a number of others including Backdraft and Factory 5. Of those 3, the Backdraft was the best riding/handling as it uses BMW underpinnings. The Factory 5 is the cheapest of the bunch and it shows. Especially when you park it next to the other 2. Obviously some of that is due to the build skills of the typical Factory 5 buyer. But a Superformance car is quality through and through. Yes, you pay for it. Last time I was building these, the car minus engine/trans driveshaft and all plumbing were around $60K. That was back in 2010 or so. You can get a Continuation CSX Cobra from Superformance that is registered and licensed as a 66' Cobra and is probably 90% as original (using new not NOS parts) as the ones built in 66', and are set up to have the FE big block installed. The CSX cars I built all got the all aluminum FE from Roush that was 511 cid. A couple of those the customer opted for ITB EFI. The rest were old school carb set ups. All made over 600 lb/ft torque and were a beast. They were also big money. I don't think I ever saw a CSX build under $100K. I did a "regular" Superformance build with a ITB EFI 427 Windsor from Roush, and after the custom interior, carbon fiber dash, and fogger Nitrous system, it came in at $125K.
Buddy of mine got a Backdraft last year. Wicked car. Over $100K.

EE560A6F-5380-4ECC-8DBA-A4AA0140CC92.jpeg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Although I'm in the majority here with wanting a Superformance or Backdraft Cobra, I'm in the minority with "not" wanting a Coyote engine in it. I like the idea of the reliability and performance of a Coyote, but hate the sound they make.

My Cobra would have to have the old school muscle car sound of a pushrod 427.

That being said I'm not sure it would be a cost effective option for me in my retirement years with someone saying they cost upwards of $100K.

What I have really been interested in is buying another 65 coupe and converting it to a fastback. I think that would be a fun project. And after building my 65 I think that conversion project would be something I could handle and do for well under a $100K.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
As for my future car, after I'm done F'ing around with the Shelby I'd really like to restomod a '67 Fastback. All modern underpinnings, drivetrain, etc. But at some point I will inherit my FIL's '65 Chevelle. My plan is to do a similar build on it.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Although I'm in the majority here with wanting a Superformance or Backdraft Cobra, I'm in the minority with "not" wanting a Coyote engine in it. I like the idea of the reliability and performance of a Coyote, but hate the sound they make.
I know exactly what you mean. Often wonder if using chambered mufflers and a resonator or two would calm it down enough. Probably jives with an S550, but with one of these kit cars, you're pretty limited on length and space so adding enough dampening to get the sound right might not be feasible.

noco5.0

Established Member
I like old trucks and newer cars. I might sell my 13 Boss 302 at some point and buy a 67-72 short bed Chevy pickup or maybe a K5 Blazer. I had a 70 K5 and sold it which is the one vehicle I regret selling to this day. The prices have skyrocketed unfortunately so may never happen.

Last edited:

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I’ll be building a CTS V3 soon. It makes sense since I want to cut down to 1 car. Just need to get the courage to actually let go of the Vette.

I’ve thought about an R33 GT-R but I know I won’t be happy with anything under 700whp and that is a fortune to build “reliably”. Not to mention the lack of availability of factory parts if needed.

I may spend it all on hookers and blow in preparation of the Great Reset where I’ll own nothing anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread