your thoughts on engine oil

TRBO VNM

so I am ready for my next oil change and was thinking about going to synthetic. I am at 9k miles and think if I am going to do it, I should do it now. I have read in the past numerous threads regarding what weights to use and brand. I think it came down to Amsoil and Mobil 1. And amsoil has to be ordered from a dealer and not purchased at a local store.

Anyone change to synthetic? Any thoughts? info? What weight are you using? I don't fully understand the differences except that higher the number the thicker it is. Help!!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Amsoil 0W-30 my friend! I can even get you the discount as a preferred member if you'd like? Mobil 1 5W-30 would be the only other option in my book.

TRBO VNM

thats what I thought. I might take you up on that offer. anybody can buy it though right? how does one become a preferred member to get the discount?

how long does it take to get?

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Was using Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic with 0 problems and I think the car acctually ran a bit cooler afterwards. :shrug:

Not real keen on the differences, but since tons more people on a poll a while back used 5W-30, I used it :thumbsup:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Jason, anyone can purchase the Amsoil product from their website. The preferred customer fee is a $20-25 charge per every 6 months or so, I forgot. Whenever you're ready just let me know. I prefer the OW over the 5W and also the 30 viscosity level wayyy over that lousy 20. :nonono: All I have to say is Hermann (HBH) praises the Amsoil 0W-30 for a reason! Statistics show that the Amsoil series 2000 performs better than the Mobile 1. Not knocking it but those are the only two brands I'd consider for full syn.

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
WUTWINE said:
how long does it take to get?
Doesn't take long at all....2-3 days tops! They ship from PA. Also, If you're gonna buy their oil look into their SDF-11 oil filter. The whole "sha-bang" is pretty damn good IMHO.

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Gotta go with 30 weight, regardless of which brand you use.......Lot of stats have shown the recommended 20 weight is just too thin and was a ploitical mandate at Ford........

TRBO VNM

thanks for the info. I have seen and read that amsoil always tests out better than mobil 1, but for an over the counter oil, mobil 1 is the way to go. i will probably hook up with you next week regarding this and get some. can you let me know the price. either PM or post.

I might stick with the motorcraft filter though. Not sure yet, but give me a price on that to.

thanks

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
My first 2 changes I used the recommended Motorcraft 5w20 blend. I switched to the Mobil 1 0w20 in the winter about 2k miles ago. I think I will go with 10w30 during the summer months. :beer:

Last edited:

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
I've been using Mobile 1 5w30 for years. Never one problem with it.

Users who are viewing this thread