your thoughts on engine oil

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
oh yeah... about the oil. I have been using Mobil 5W30 with a K&N. A few mechanics have told me to ditch the K&N and just use Motorcraft, but I am a horrible listener.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Fine!! After this post, you won't see a single useless post from me. If I have something valuable to contribute to the thread (HIGHLY unlikely) I will do so. Otherwise, you won't hear a peep out of me.

....after this post that is. :-D

Just didn't want to be anti-social :-D

<-----now an official anti-postwhore :beer:

jbp99cobra

Fly fat ass, fly!!!
Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
Fine!! After this post, you won't see a single useless post from me. If I have something valuable to contribute to the thread (HIGHLY unlikely) I will do so. Otherwise, you won't hear a peep out of me.

....after this post that is. :-D

<-----now an official anti-postwhore :beer:

Hell has officially frozen over :D

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
I like the K&N Filter because it has the nut on the end. But, I just can't see spending $10 for a filter with a nut when I could get a Motorcraft filter for $3. Since the Contour and Cobra use the same oil filter, I just buy them in bulk...

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
K&N's are OKAY! When I used Mobile 1 I used the Mobil 1 filter. Now that I use Amsoil I use the Amsoil filter. :coolman:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
If I used motorcraft oil then I'd use the motorcraft filter. Gonna do something atleast do it formal not informal.... :lol1:

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
K&N's are OKAY! When I used Mobile 1 I used the Mobil 1 filter. Now that I use Amsoil I use the Amsoil filter. :coolman:

Good point, I guess. If they make the oil, they probably make their oil filters with THEIR oil in mind. Makes perfect sense.

But then again, I was using Motorcraft FL-820S filters with the Mobil 1 5W-30 and it was working perfect :shrug:

TRBO VNM

Blk03SVTCobra said:
Good point, I guess. If they make the oil, they probably make their oil filters with THEIR oil in mind. Makes perfect sense.

But then again, I was using Motorcraft FL-820S filters with the Mobil 1 5W-30 and it was working perfect :shrug:

the filter and oil shouldn't have anything in common, but the manufacturer. The quality of filtration should not matter or be based on the type of oil. In gerenal you want the best filtration possible that will stop debris from entering the engine.

The real question is how are all of these other filters constructed and what type of filter media do they use. This is why I will probably stick with the motorcraft since it is recommended by ford and if it fails, it is on ford. using another manufacturers filter, if that fails then ford will not warranty any claims. The oil they can't say much about as long as it is SAE certified.

Users who are viewing this thread