your thoughts on engine oil

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
WUTWINE said:
the filter and oil shouldn't have anything in common, but the manufacturer. The quality of filtration should not matter or be based on the type of oil. In gerenal you want the best filtration possible that will stop debris from entering the engine.

The real question is how are all of these other filters constructed and what type of filter media do they use. This is why I will probably stick with the motorcraft since it is recommended by ford and if it fails, it is on ford. using another manufacturers filter, if that fails then ford will not warranty any claims. The oil they can't say much about as long as it is SAE certified.

Yeah, but there are always trade-offs. If the filter is too "good" it will restrict flow. It's also benificial to have a filter that doesn't come apart inside(*cough* fram *cough*), as well as one that is capable of sustaining flow and filtering out small particles at the same time. I read up on oil filters somewhere a while back, and believe it or not, the best two filters they found were, motorcraft(made by purolator) and ac delco. Go figure. Fram got the lowest marks. They pointed out that the motorcraft filters not made by purolator didn't do as good of a job, and proceeded to explain how to tell the difference. But, I have forgotten, it has something to do with the pattern of the holes.

Anyway, I'm with Jason on this, I will likely stick with motorcraft filters for the forseeable future. I have also had great luck using Mobil-1 in all of my cars, although I haven't switched the cobra over yet. I was concerned about useing 30weight oil in a car that calls for 20 weight. And mobil-1 held my 5.0 together even after I lost 3/4's of my oil pressure. I was able to put another good 100 miles on the car before I parked it and pulled the motor for a rebuild. She still ran:).

Last edited:

04Torchvert

Established Member
Anyone know what the weather is supposed to be like on Sunday?

HAHA just kidding and BTW im putting in Mobil 1 Syn 5w30 Today

teongies

Established Member
I use either the Motocraft full synthetic 5w-20 or the Mobil 1 5W-20. I've used full synthetic since my first oil change. I have almost 24,000 miles on the car. I guess we will have to wait until people start tearing their motors down before we will have a chance to know if it really makes a difference.

DR. WU 2000

mmm....turbo 4
Established Member
teongies said:
I use either the Motocraft full synthetic 5w-20 or the Mobil 1 5W-20. I've used full synthetic since my first oil change. I have almost 24,000 miles on the car. I guess we will have to wait until people start tearing their motors down before we will have a chance to know if it really makes a difference.
Any one think the 5w20 is a little light, especially for the summer months? :shrug: I would think 5w20 would be ok for the winter. :beer:

TRBO VNM

DR. WU 2000 said:
Any one think the 5w20 is a little light, especially for the summer months? :shrug: I would think 5w20 would be ok for the winter. :beer:

a lot of people are saying the 20 is too thin.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
The 20 weight oil is too thin for these motors as has been discussed repeatedly on this and other forums. Ford mandated this weight to increase gas mileage requirements and several studies have indicated that it is just too thin to properly lubricate these engines over long periods of time....synthetic or not.

Other studies have indicated that the Motorcraft oil filters are actually pretty darn good. The Purolator's also get high ratings for excellent filtration without unnecessary restriction.

I spent way too much time going over all the threads and studies when I bought my Cobra..........

03Cobra19

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Amsoil 0W-30 my friend! I can even get you the discount as a preferred member if you'd like? Mobil 1 5W-30 would be the only other option in my book.

I absolutly agree on your oil choices. A guy down the street from me is the largest distributor of Amsoil in the north east area (he supplies Belle Tire and sponsors many snowmobiling events) and has his garage stocked. I usually buy from him at his cost. I was paying the fee to sell it myself but I couldn't see paying all that shipping if I could just go down the street and buy it.

TRBO VNM

I-CAN-STANG said:
Amsoil 0W-30 my friend! I can even get you the discount as a preferred member if you'd like? Mobil 1 5W-30 would be the only other option in my book.

check your PM's

teongies

Established Member
If you run 5w-30 in your car and something goes wrong, would that be grounds to deny your warranty claim?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Nothing can go wrong Tom under normal operation with this oil grade! You have all to gain and nothing to lose with 5W-30. The lower number is for cold protection and the higher number is for running temp. protection (viscosity level). We know how hot these motors can get so I wouldn't use anything below a 30 v. level.

Here's a few posts toc check out:

The truth behind 5W-20:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/dearmfr/ccd0112.pdf

Good comparisons:
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79898

Check out Cobra'03's reply:
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78101

SPXTrader

Certified Loon
Established Member
Interesting discussion.

Now here's my 0.02:

In my work with one of NASCAR's top teams, their engine shop has come to certain conclusions regarding oil and filters. Even though they use a dry sump system, this team has concluded that for the street motor, the two best filters are: 1) Baldwin and 2) NAPA (No, it's not Mikey's team). K&N ran a close third.

As for oil, the top choice was Red Line, then Mobil 1 (the OLD type, not the tri-Syn). Viscosity breakdown for the multi-vis oil appeared in the higher revs (8200 to 9400) and at the higher temps (above 225).

The final result for street cars was: Red Line 30W in climates between 45 and 95 degrees and 10w-30 for colder or warmer running temps. Road circuits changed the results a little, but not enough to make any real difference.

The key is to let your engine warm up to running temp regardless of the outside temp BEFORE burning rubber off the rear...

I dunno...they've got me changing my oil twice a year...

TRBO VNM

if you use a SAE certified oil, Ford can't say crap about it. Especially since they put 5w-20 in. I spoke to numerous service writers about this and they all said the same thing. make sure it has the certified logo on the bottle and document your changes and you are good to go. I didn't ask about filters.

Users who are viewing this thread