your thoughts on the future GT500

wma8706

Established Member
Looks like the 2011 base V6 (13.7 sec. rental car) and the 5.0 4v GT (395 NA rwhp) has bridged the gap in performance compared to the GT500. As for 2011.. the GT500 gets an alluminum block that sheds a little over 100 pounds which is a step in the right direction but hardly as impressive in performance upgrade compared to it's lesser brethren! What do you think Ford should do next? In my opinion.... based on a built 5.4 4V SC power plant... big power with decent EPA should be fairly easy to acheive. I've got a feeling a proper IRS will come back to SVT's brain child along with more weight reduction .... borrowed lessons learned from the corvette Z06! I don't know about upgrading to a state of the art quick shifting tranny .... since that would raise the msrp considerably. As for Styling ... I'd keep the changes tastfull and subtle. "If it ain't broke ....why fix it!" Less is more!

2011SVT

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Established Member
TVS as standard equipment would be my guess. Bumps the bhp to 605ish.

A lot of ifs in there including passing the durability testing with the increased stress, keeping/improving the current EPA numbers, etc.

With the recent investment in the spray bore 5.4L, I would think Ford would want to get a few more years out of those before changing up the power plant.

Kewlv8

Established Member
Looks like the 2011 base V6 (13.7 sec. rental car) and the 5.0 4v GT (395 NA rwhp) has bridged the gap in performance compared to the GT500. As for 2011.. the GT500 gets an alluminum block that sheds a little over 100 pounds which is a step in the right direction but hardly as impressive in performance upgrade compared to it's lesser brethren! What do you think Ford should do next? In my opinion.... based on a built 5.4 4V SC power plant... big power with decent EPA should be fairly easy to acheive. I've got a feeling a proper IRS will come back to SVT's brain child along with more weight reduction .... borrowed lessons learned from the corvette Z06! I don't know about upgrading to a state of the art quick shifting tranny .... since that would raise the msrp considerably. As for Styling ... I'd keep the changes tastfull and subtle. "If it ain't broke ....why fix it!" Less is more!

I see the GT500 to continue to shed weight, add power, and hopefully get some real factory rubber out back. I don't see much deviation in design from it's pony car siblings, just to keep the cost down by sharing. The 2011 is an example of this, and should trap @119mph, vs. 111Mph for the 5.0. If you don't think this is already an impressive performance upgrade, you may think that the Terminator @113mph is not an impressive performance upgrade over the V6 Infiniti G37 which traps at 105Mph.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
More weight reduction off the front end please. Carbon fiber hood and fenders maybe. Battery in the trunk. TVS blower and 600 hp. Wder tires in back at least 315s. Lower FRPP springs from the factory.

Last edited:

bluediamond

13 Shelby aka El Diablo
Established Member
Just fix that hideous abortion of a rear end, Ford. PLEASE.

ditto....IMO this gen GT500 could be the best Mustang of all time if they could just re-work the rear end. If the future GT500 could continue to shed a few pounds, have a TVS and more wheel options, it would be a more of an amazing car than it already is.
I have tried to talk myself into trading up to the 2011, but I just cant get past the rear-end. I was hoping it would grow on me, but it never did.
And Im not bashing the the 2010 gen at all, I agree its so much better in many ways than the the 07-09's, but I guess I will just have to wait until Ford or the aftermarket has an alternative that I can live with.

Kewlv8

Established Member
ditto....IMO this gen GT500 could be the best Mustang of all time if they could just re-work the rear end. If the future GT500 could continue to shed a few pounds, have a TVS and more wheel options, it would be a more of an amazing car than it already is.
I have tried to talk myself into trading up to the 2011, but I just cant get past the rear-end. I was hoping it would grow on me, but it never did.
And Im not bashing the the 2010 gen at all, I agree its so much better in many ways than the the 07-09's, but I guess I will just have to wait until Ford or the aftermarket has an alternative that I can live with.

I really like the old school lines of the 2009 rear, and since the 2009 late model year has the clutch issue resolved, I decided that for the same $$ a 2009+TVS is not a bad way to go......

GarageLogic

Established Member
I guess I'm one of the few that likes the 2010+ rear end treatment. I can also remember back in '99 when they changed from the original SN95 body to the new edge styling some of the same comments regarding the rear end.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
IRS surely is coming, and I'd guess a bit more weight reduction, but no more power is my guess.

Kewlv8

Established Member
I guess I'm one of the few that likes the 2010+ rear end treatment. I can also remember back in '99 when they changed from the original SN95 body to the new edge styling some of the same comments regarding the rear end.

I ike the entire package on the 2010, it goes together very nicely, so I don't dislike it. The 07-09 GT500 just did a great job of tying back to it's roots, without imitating. The new body style is moving a more modern, European direction. Not like you can go wrong either way.....;-)

Eleanor_rear_ang.jpg

07GT500_blk_rs_rear.jpg

lead17shelbygt500review2010.jpg

bpmurr

Established Member

I didn't like the 2010+ rear at first but now I love it. My 05 GT looks boring from behind now.

What Ford needs to do is get more of the power to the ground from the factory.

Last edited:

steeltoe

Established Member
I see the SVT PP being expanded to something similar to the Z51 or Grand Sport Z16. I think the coupe non glass roof owners kind of got screwed. Ford should have put a CF roof on the coupe.

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
I find it shocking that 07-09 owners like the older rear end better, really I do, LMAO. Kinda the same way, that I am happy with my Iron block, and have no desire to get that ugly SVTPP or the Electric power steering or maybe the glass roof, all those options suck. (anyone catching the sarcasam here?)

AlanSVT

Established Member
Out of everything the 2011 have to offer the only think I would want would be either the 20s in the back but the 2010 style and the new aluminum block

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I also am one of the few it seems that actually likes the rear end design of the 2010. Dare I say that hating on the 2010 rear end is trendy?

Users who are viewing this thread