your thoughts on the future GT500

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
I think they need to limit the production numbers to around 5,000 a year. They have made WAY TOO many GT500's. As you may have noticed, they are worth nothing anymore, especially used. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR!!!! That is my biggest complaint, less weight and more power would be nice too, but tires ARE A MUST. And keep the SRA please!

Kewlv8

Established Member
My 05 GT looks boring from behind now.

That is likely because it is a GT..... the 2010 GT is nothing to write home about either.......;-) Talkin' bout the 500 here....

112_0812_04z+2009_and_2010_ford_mustang_GT+rear_view.jpg

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
I think they need to limit the production numbers to around 5,000 a year. They have made WAY TOO many GT500's. As you may have noticed, they are worth nothing anymore, especially used. IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A LIMITED PRODUCTION CAR!!!! That is my biggest complaint, less weight and more power would be nice too, but tires ARE A MUST. And keep the SRA please!

Total 2010 GT500 Production = 4,458 total, coupes and verts

Captain Beyond

Established Member
Future GT500s will get a 600+ hp TVS and continue to shed more weight. The 5.4 will then be replaced by a blown (or possibly twin turbo) 5.0 in the 2014 model. :burnout:

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
i don't think we'll see shit until the 2014MY redesign, unless GM and ChrCo actually grow a pair of balls and stick some power in their cars. for the 2014MY cobra500 i'm saying at least 150lbs in weight reduction, 5.0l, TVS, keeping about the same HP as now, and IRS on all '14MY cars.

wma8706

Established Member
not enough emphasis on suspenion and weight savings! interesting to see how many opinions talk about the TVS upgrade. How is having more power help in performance when the car can't acheive proper traction as is? The lighter 2011 NA 5.0 GT goes 0-60 in 4.3 secs and 12.7 in the quarter. Close numbers to a GT500 with more than 100 rwhp. The only difference is in trap speed in a drag race. I'd venture to guess the lap times on a road course will be near as well. Seems to me that Ford has optimized the 2011 GT performance while the Shelby GT500 has yet to reach it's full potential without aftermarket upgrades.

Last edited:

evasive

Pro 2A Attorney
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Dare I say that hating on the 2010 rear end is trendy?

Huh? Trendy? We don't like it, that's all there is to it. :xpl:

That doesn't make anymore sense than "Dare I say that being a 2010 rearend fanboy is trendy". Everyone has an opinion.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
...interesting to see how many opinions talk about the TVS upgrade...
the GT500 is the only production car using eatons previous generation roots blower. every other roots equipped production car(there are a couple out there) uses eatons latest roots, the TVS. if anything, i would think eaton would be forcing ford to switch simply so they can cut the old blower from production.

ROBSNAKE

Established Member
I say 2013 the 20th year anniversary from the 93 cobra.
If the car is supposedly going global I say IRS.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
Total 2010 GT500 Production = 4,458 total, coupes and verts

I just know in 07 alone, they made OVER 7,000 COUPES, and who knows how many convertibles, heres my opinion, like it or hate it. FORD screwed ALL 07 GT500 owners, "it was actually the dealerships" by putting a 5-20 grand markup over sticker. Everyone who got an early GT500 paid way over sticker, and thought it was going to be a limited production few year run GT500, maybe worth something in the future. Now instead, Ford made way more 07 GT500s than originally said, and made a lot of 08s too. Then 09 came around and they were still making them, but as EVERYONE noticed, the market went shitty and a used GT500 could be found the 30k range. 08-9 GT500's could be found sitting at dealerships for months, and even the famed ACTUALLY LIMITED production KR, they SAT at dealerships. One near my house was at a dealer for sticker or close to it and in the rain outside for close to a year. :( Now the 2010 is out there,a nd the 2011 is comming fast... when wil they stop? Its obvious they will have NO value for many years to come. Fun for people buying used ones, not people who paid over sticker.

01 SN8K

Established Member
I just know in 07 alone, they made OVER 7,000 COUPES, and who knows how many convertibles, heres my opinion, like it or hate it. FORD screwed ALL 07 GT500 owners, "it was actually the dealerships" by putting a 5-20 grand markup over sticker. Everyone who got an early GT500 paid way over sticker, and thought it was going to be a limited production few year run GT500, maybe worth something in the future. Now instead, Ford made way more 07 GT500s than originally said, and made a lot of 08s too. Then 09 came around and they were still making them, but as EVERYONE noticed, the market went shitty and a used GT500 could be found the 30k range. 08-9 GT500's could be found sitting at dealerships for months, and even the famed ACTUALLY LIMITED production KR, they SAT at dealerships. One near my house was at a dealer for sticker or close to it and in the rain outside for close to a year. :( Now the 2010 is out there,a nd the 2011 is comming fast... when wil they stop? Its obvious they will have NO value for many years to come. Fun for people buying used ones, not people who paid over sticker.

I feel your pain but we cant blame the dealers on the markups. We can only blame ourselves. I was ready to buy an 07 Shelby when they came out but there was no dealer that would sell it to me at or below MSRP. I refused to pay a markup on that car. If the buyers wouldn't except the markup the dealers would eventually have no choice to but to sell at MSRP. But there were plenty of people out there with allot of money that had no problem paying for the markup so the dealers continued the markup until there wasn't a demand. I am glad that I waited, and because I did I will have a new 2011 Shelby GT500 in about 2 weeks below MSRP.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I say 2013 the 20th year anniversary from the 93 cobra.
If the car is supposedly going global I say IRS.
the car probably isn't going global(i'm assuming your talking about being sold world wide), but the chassis more than likely will be.
it's fords fault that you don't have any patience? don't act like the information wasn't out there, there are MANY people on this forum that waited for the prices to drop. "everyone" who thought it was a limited run car was simply too lazy to do any research. ignorance isn't an excuse. hau tai-tang actually said in a published interview before the car went into production that ford would produce as many as people demanded.
odd, the mustang cobra was made from '93 to '99, then picked back up again for '01, '03, and '04, and i don't remember hearing anyone complain about the car still being in production for all those years...

Last edited:

harmon rabb

Established Member

no offense, but paying over sticker for anything short of an EXOTIC (and no mustang will ever be an exotic) is freakin stupid. :(

Snakebite

Proud Member of the MCT
Established Member
I have tried to talk myself into trading up to the 2011, but I just cant get past the rear-end. I was hoping it would grow on me, but it never did.

4 out of 5 sides of the car look amazing...but like yourself...I refuse to settle for what I feel was a styling blunder...the back side!:nonono:

Last edited:

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
it's fords fault that you don't have any patience? don't act like the information wasn't out there, there are MANY people on this forum that waited for the prices to drop. "everyone" who thought it was a limited run car was simply too lazy to do any research. ignorance isn't an excuse. hau tai-tang actually said in a published interview before the car went into production that ford would produce as many as people demanded.
odd, the mustang cobra was made from '93 to '99, then picked back up again for '01, '03, and '04, and i don't remember hearing anyone complain about the car still being in production for all those years...

ok then, ill go let everyone who paid over sticker for one know you think they are ignorant, un patient, and lazy :) If it was that easy to know they were making so many and that they were not limited production, I highly doubt so many THOUSANDS would pay that much over sticker. Not everyone who owns a GT500 is on SVTP.com, or any forum for that matter. I personally did a fair amount of research on the car back in the pre production days, before you could order one, and never came across statements that say they would make as many as people demanded. Im not saying they arent out there, but I never saw them. Once again, just my 2 cents, I see what you mean. And the GT500 is A LOT different than the Cobras, its a SHELBY, not the same as a Cobra. I know its still pretty much 100% SVT, but its got that name Shelby on it, which is SUPPOSED to mean something < I do lol at my last sentence

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread