Z06 Vs?

The Loon

Established Member
Anyone had the chance to race one yet?

My neighbor is dying for me to get my cobra back from the shop,, Bad tranny, joy....

The Loon

Last edited:

ZXnVS

Established Member
The Z06 has a huge weight advantage, but a sloppy driver could squander that with a bad start. Basically you get what you paid for, and they paid an extra $17,000.

Z06ETR

Established Member
I have not had a chance to race a C5 or a new Z06 yet, but when I do he wont know what hit him. Beware Z06's there is a snake on the loose!!! My screename and attached dyno sheet say it all.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I am a Z06, and I raced Terminator03 from this board and got him at my bumper from a roll from say 10mph to about 90mph. we were dead even until about 60 and I pulled ever so slightly, then at about 80 I started to pull away but traffic intervened. He's got full Bassani, a custom Livernois chip, and is blowing 14.5#(!) now so it could be very very different when we go racing on the 26th at a rented track.

I also raced Black03Cobra from Stangnet four times, and smoked him pretty bad 3 out of 4 times. He got me once, but that was on me because I tried to be cute and cut a 3000rpm launch on the street without warming up the tires. 2 out of the other 3 times it was basically over before it started because he couldn't launch and I was getting away alright. From a roll it was the same story, even up to the 60's, slight pull, then pulling away in the mid 80s.

I was stock(besides the shifter) for both, Black03 had exhaust.

I think alot of it depends on conditions, but stock for stock the Z has proven to me at least that it's much faster in the right hands. While 1 or 2 guys I've seen have managed mid 12's in the 03 Cobra, mid 12's are the universal for Z06's, and many many people run between 12.0 and 12.3. There are probably about 5 guys out there running 11's in stock Z06's, but they are experienced lifetime draggers. Every time I've been to the track, the norm for the 03 seems to be mid to low 13's. Seems like they are damn near impossible to launch, but I would suspect that'll change once people get used to them.

:beer:

kino

Established Member
Actually I'm not surprised by hearing about low to mid 13s from 03 Cobras. You have to remember that these cars are brand new, brand new tires and its the hottest time of the year plus it takes awhile to get use to a car's characteristics. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guestimate that a well-driven stock 03 will run (with a normal guy/gal not a professional) 12.6 maybe with sliencer removed and good cold air hit a 12.5 and stars aligned 12.4. I may/probably wrong but thats just my best guess and we should find out in a couple months.

LS1 Guy

Established Member
You guys would smoke a C5. A C5 is mid to low 13's. A race with a Z06 would be interesting. Stock vs. stock would be close. The torque on the 03 is tough. I would bet on the Z06 by a nose. On the other hand, an 03 with a chip vs. a stock Z06... 03 all the way.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Originally posted by COBRyan
Mid to low 13's????? Ummmm have to disagree.

Hey I'm just going by what I've seen at the track since I can't seem to get any stock 03's to post their numbers. And that would be at least 5 cars running between 13.2-13.7. Not too mention 2 of my friends who couldn't crack 13.5. Obviously it's been very hot here so it should improve in the fall...

If you've got a stock timeslip I'd love to see it:beer:

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
Originally posted by The DBK

...at least 5 cars running between 13.2-13.7.

is that 5 2003 cobras? It would be neat to see that many in one place. So far I havn't seen any other 03 cobra's driving around. Maybe I will tomorrow though when I go the firebird raceway. Can't wait!

Users who are viewing this thread