Z28 waxed the 03...

97DOHCobra

Established Member
Isn't the camaros sweet spot 3rd gear?

Probably sprayed.

Different senario... I've got a vid of an SS and 03 running dead stop to fast :D once with no spray and once with spray to third gear. Both times the 03 won. It was a different outcome when the SS sprayed the whole time.

It is an 'older' video that I got off of a camaro board...

I'll send the video if someone wants to host it....:coolman:

drop an email 1,568 kb vid.

SS00Blue

Established Member
Originally posted by Blue03Cobra
I would consider anything you can do by yourself with general tools (without opening the motor or installing a power adder) "light mods". For me that rules out: headers, stall converter/tranny work, cams, heads, nitrous, turbos, superchargers, etc. It would include: intake, pulleys, rear-end gears, suspension, chips, shifter, tires, and the like.

YMMV

Um... Wait a minute. You can do a set of rear gears properly, but you say you can't do a header install? a nitrous install?? a stall convertor???

:-\

I don't get it. The three you rule out are way easier to install with regular hand tools than a rear gear change, which requires torque wrenches, pinion depth gauge and a depth micrometer.

Why?

SC-

Originally posted by 03CobraBro
Well I probably wont go any further than pulley, chip and 555R's. Im just glad were making guys spend alittle bit more money than the average vehicle to put us down.

Er... You SURE are! :whine: Look at the sig... :(

Last edited:

LSs1Power

Established Member
Just to give an idea on how LS1 respond to bolt ons here is my car... It dyno'd 292rwhp 314rwtq stock..... With a LID(Intake) and a catback it dyno'd 325rwhp 336rwtq (thats 33rwhp 22rwtq gain)... with FLP headers it dyno'd 348rwhp 363rwtq (thats 23rwhp 27rwtq gain). So with only 3 mods the LS1 picked up 56rwhp and 49rwtq. Here is the dyno sheet before and after the headers only http://community.webshots.com/sym/image5/2/12/21/66321221PYrnsi_fs.jpg

SStupid

Established Member
Stock

This is why I'm trying to keep my car stock. The madness never ends. I still have my '96 Z28/SS. I kept modding and modding, and replacing broken parts. The '03 Cobra may not be the fastest thing on the road, but everything on the car is built to handle the horsepower. I shouldn't have to talk about the horrible craftsmanship of the 4L60E or the 10-bolt. It is know the world over. Anyone want to buy a '96 Z28/SS?

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I would consider anything you can do by yourself with general tools (without opening the motor or installing a power adder) "light mods". For me that rules out: headers, stall converter/tranny work, cams, heads, nitrous, turbos, superchargers, etc. It would include: intake, pulleys, rear-end gears, suspension, chips, shifter, tires, and the like.

YMMV

Originally posted by SS00Blue
Um... Wait a minute. You can do a set of rear gears properly, but you say you can't do a header install? a nitrous install?? a stall convertor???

:-\

I don't get it. The three you rule out are way easier to install with regular hand tools than a rear gear change, which requires torque wrenches, pinion depth gauge and a depth micrometer.

Why?

First, "YMMV" is an acronym for "Your Mileage May Vary"...another version of "Just my $.02". Not the end-all-and-be-all of opinions, just mine :-\

If you think a nitrous install is "light mods", we can end the discussion here ;-)

A header install is many, many hours of work and extremely difficult to perform without help. I would consider that a "significant" mod.

I have been exposed to many rear gear changes (on Mustangs) that weren't that big a deal. I consider a torque wrench a "general tool". I've never known anyone that did a torque converter in their garage. Maybe it's because I've only been around manual transmission cars (because automatics are for girls...:p )

Any other questions?

03CobraBro

Established Member
No doubt. And Lightnings and any other muscle-vehicle that comes from the factory, automatic ONLY...

True, forgot all about the lightnings.

Edit: had to take the E out of lightning as usual...

TK94Bird

whoopin some ass
Established Member
:lol: :lol: What chu smokin willis. Get the 50 year old lady out the drivers seat, I'd like crack at you with a 02 Z against your stock 03 :)

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I know very little about the z28/SS/WS6 and how they respond to mods, but I do know this:

I went to the races a few weekends ago (1000')
-I raced an '02 SS twice and busted him both times. He was running 11.2 to my 10.6

-I raced a WS6 once and he barely dipped into 10.9

-I watched several other WS6's pull 11.0's

-Raced a '02 Z28 auto on the freeway, and it wasn't even close enough to be called a race.

I have two mods: CAI and a Catback. The races above were all on stock rubber from the factoy. The cars I raced were ALL modded at various stages, as I spoke with them betwen runs.

So from my personal experience, I think the '03 deserves a little more respect for it's capabilities from the factory. Hell, my friends GT was running with that SS. Get off your high horse guys:-D

BOOSTED 355

Established Member
So from my personal experience, I think the '03 deserves a little more respect for it's capabilities from the factory. Hell, my friends GT was running with that SS. Get off your high horse guys

No High Horse here, I do give the cars respect, they are very nice cars and respond exceptionally well to mods. Like I said in another post they are bad cars but they are not godlike. I think you guys under-estimate Ls1 cars, there are not many cars that you can take with bolt-ons and mild heads and cam packages w/ stock bottom ends, that go deep 10's. These cars also resond exceptionally well to mods. They are both very strong cars!

FlatZ28

++Crocodile_Hunter
Established Member
No High Horse here, I do give the cars respect, they are very nice cars and respond exceptionally well to mods. Like I said in another post they are bad cars but they are not godlike. I think you guys under-estimate Ls1 cars, there are not many cars that you can take with bolt-ons and mild heads and cam packages w/ stock bottom ends, that go deep 10's. These cars also resond exceptionally well to mods. They are both very strong cars!
Aye aye.

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
if your 03 is new. Less than 3500 miles it is not broken in yet. They realy start getting happy once they break in. So do not dispair. Once you start doing a few minor mods, then that will give them a run for there money. Gotta love american muscle!

Trader

Established Member
Originally posted by TK94Bird
:lol: :lol: What chu smokin willis. Get the 50 year old lady out the drivers seat, I'd like crack at you with a 02 Z against your stock 03 :)

He only had exhaust and a lid. Nt a whole hell of alot of hp. He is a consistant mid 13 driver. Needs some more practice with teh M6. :p

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by BOOSTED 355

:beer: I agree, and to be honest, I've always felt this site does a great job of being realistic compared to other sites. I have always seen the guys here give respect to the formidibility of the LS1. I think that's why people post about them so much, because it's been a long time since Ford had much that could touch them without major modding.

I just sometimes get rubbed the wrong way when I hear that all a stock LS1 needs is a pair of fuzzy dice to beat the '03, when my experience has shown that to be far from the truth:-D

BOOSTED 355

Established Member
I just sometimes get rubbed the wrong way when I hear that all a stock LS1 needs is a pair of fuzzy dice to beat the '03, when my experience has shown that to be far from the truth

Well as everyone know not all LS1 cars run the same. You find some that run like monsters and some that wont get out of there own way. In most cases they are monsters. My buddy has a ls1 ws-6 and it goes mid 12's with just a couple of boltons and a stock catback on radials. My 98 ws-6 BONE stock 6 spd car went 8.40's 1/8 on street tires. But then I have also seen ls1's go 9's and even 10's 1/8 mile. There is a guy on ls1tech.com that just made his first 10 second pass with only a cam and bolt ons, still a stock headed car. On the other hand I know a local here in his '03 Cobra who has gone 11.20's 1/4 with just a pulley swap, OR H-pipe, and a Bassani Catback. Yes with a good driver in both the Cobra should edge out a stock ls1, but like I have shown above it does not take but just a couple bolt-ons to put us in '03 territory. And what beats the looks of an LS1 w-6s!:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread