Z28 waxed the 03...

Mcteague

Banned
Originally posted by Lethalchem
I have always seen the guys here give respect to the formidibility of the LS1.

Nice comments about the LS1. Wow! :beer:

That's nice of you to say but most here trash the LS1 whether they respect it or not, but I expect it at a Mustang site.

Torqemonster

Established Member
No way this guys car was not modified, I takes alot more than gears for a Z28 to take an '03, trust me I know!

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by Mcteague
...but most here trash the LS1 whether they respect it or not, but I expect it at a Mustang site.
Only directed at those LS1 owners that constantly cause trouble...:rollseyes

Kenny H

Established Member
Stock LS1 6 speed have 3.42s. If he had gears, likely it was 4.10s or possibly 3.73s. I would assume that would put him in 4th gear. If he had 3.73s I would think at 80 MPH he would be a little low in the RPMs? IMO, he had a little more then just gears. I'd say atleast a lid, maybe more. The Cobras make a buttload of power, no question about it. The LS1s biggest advantage is weight, but thats less and less of a factor as speeds increase hence I think the LS1 was packing more then just gears.

Street races are so hard to judge though. One car can get a slight jump on the other etc.

If two cars come out of the hole relatively even but one car cuts a light that is .2 better, that will result in only a few feet difference in the first 60 feet. Now, if both cars run identical for the next 1310 feet and remain .2 apart and finish the 1/4 mile in lets say 12 seconds at 110 MPH, that .2 gap has now grown to about 30 feet, which is nearly 2 car lengths. So that once 'tiny' jump off the line now seems to be a convinving win, eh?

11secCobra

Way2Fast4These LS1 guys
Established Member
well unless something is wrong with your car there is now way he has just gears....my car has a mass air, diablochip, O/R x pipe, and flows, and i beat a SS with a 75 shot and a cutout pretty bad on the highway

03CobraBro

Established Member
I dont understand why alot of people say Cobra owners underestimate the power of the LS1. Close to a decade now the Cobra guys have been falling just short of the LT1/LS1, so if anyone knows what they're capable of its the guys that have been trying to catch those LT1/LS1 F-bodies since 1994.

Dont forget too, to those of you who say a few bolt ons will put an LS1 into 03 Cobra territory... a few bolt ons, on the 03 Cobra will put it into Viper territory in more than just the quarter.

blackfang

Established Member
Originally posted by 03CobraBro
I dont understand why alot of people say Cobra owners underestimate the power of the LS1. Close to a decade now the Cobra guys have been falling just short of the LT1/LS1, so if anyone knows what they're capable of its the guys that have been trying to catch those LT1/LS1 F-bodies since 1994.

Dont forget too, to those of you who say a few bolt ons will put an LS1 into 03 Cobra territory... a few bolt ons, on the 03 Cobra will put it into Viper territory in more than just the quarter.
I have met several Mustang guys(both GT & Cobra owners) that have this preminition the LS1 is a high 13 second car (they change their minds when I take them for a ride). It can be with the wrong driver, but these motors can put down some times. My roomies 02 WS6 ran a 12.89 with just a cutout, and a LS1 Motorsports lid in her car. I ran our catfish once in 105 degree heat and 87% humidity with a 2.3 60' and still cut a [email protected], a good friend has a 99 Trans Am with heads/cam package and all the bolt ons running 11.20's, and another friend with a WS6 with just a cam and bolt ons running 11.50s. I have a buddy who has the fastest naturally aspirated LT1 in the country running 9.86 ET!!

Just like the 03 Cobra motor, it can put down some serious number given the right mods and tune. However we cant compare mods vs mods. When you mod a car, all bets are off.

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Originally posted by Mcteague
Nice comments about the LS1. Wow! :beer:

That's nice of you to say but most here trash the LS1 whether they respect it or not, but I expect it at a Mustang site.
I can pull up quite a few threads on LS1 that trash Mustangs endlessly. I'll speak for myself in that i don't have a problem with Camaros or Vettes..great piece of American machinery and we should all try to support American made products. What i have a problem with r some of the owners of the said vehicles..of course the same can be said for Ford owners as well. We all tend to generalize things (like your comment of "most here trash the LS1....") and because of that sometimes situations turn nasty very quickly. I just hate ignorant comments like, "..at the end of the day it's still a Mustang"....on and on and on.

I recently met a guy last week IN PERSON from the LS1 board. It's actually a great story of how we met but i'm not going to hijack this thread :p

No hate for the Chevy on my part..just a select few owners with their arrogant noses in the air or one's that come with an agenda to "rile" members/owners up.

Kenny H

Established Member
I think you guys will see that as you get deeper into the scene, the lines of hatred between Ford/GM blurs a bit. While many are still very biased towards their side, generally they respect the power the otherside is capable of making. I don't like the 'My stock LS1 beat a supercharged '02 GT by 9 cars in 3rd gear' stories anymore then you guys do.

Sometimes I just don't get it. My '86 GT ran 13.74 @ 100.74 MPH w/ 2.0 60 ft with bolt-ons on street tires (245-50-16 Firestone SZ50s, and also SNOW tires) which made it a tough matchup for any close to stock LS1 in a short race. Of course I remember rolling up on a WS6 6 speed on RT 287 one day and from a 75 MPH roll, my '86 got destroyed. LOL

In any event, I never ask anyone to like anything I drive, nor do I care if they do/don't, I just ask for a bit of respect....

About the kill, I guess it's hard to say if I believe the guy just had gears. Although I will say my dad has a 2000 SS with 3 mods - intake, Nitto DRs, and 4.10 gears and has run a best of 12.51 @ 110. I will say he can drive like nothing I've ever seen. But I also have never seen a stock 03 break into the 12s. So with this situation, I would say an LS1 can beat a stock 03 with minimal mods - but it depends on who is driving.

About LS1 guys vs SVT guys - there are clowns on both sides who bash each other, but I think the majority respect each other. Cobras and Lightnings are badass, but I think LS1 F-bodies and Vettes are badass too. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread